Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2007, 20:23   #1

What are they spraying.....

..... on whinney hill road as you drive past? There seems to be some sort of spray systems on the fence.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2007, 20:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: What are they spraying.....

its like some kind of air freshener - it comes on when they turn the tip..kinda to block the smell....and it does work as I can smell the air freshener thing from my back door in clayton....

but what I want to know is have they released to the public whats in the air freshener stuff - as some people may actually be allergic to it ...
all those folk who live close by thinking they had hayfever....maybe the spray stuff from the tip thats making them snotty and sore throats...makes you wonder...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 21:47   #3
God Member

plus the rubbish they put in the tip you see lorries going up about 3 ,4,5 o clock in the morning whats that all about

brilliant win on saturday glasgow guy eh.get down to the bookies cause we [rangers]are going to win the league
Old 21-08-2007, 21:48   #4
God Member

I've noticed that this week too.At first I thought it was smoke and that something was on fire.Then when I got over the top of the hill I realised that something like a fine spray was being emitted from the fencing.It still stank of tip up there though
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 22:14   #5
God Member

The chemicals in most air fresheners are air poisoners
(see my thread 'Household Hazards' )
I get vasomotor rhinitis from inhaling them -runny nose and sneezing fits
We need to know the chemical constitution of whatever they are spraying
Have you asked your councillor to find out?
Have you asked the local Enviromental Health Dept?

If you dont I will

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 23:03   #6
God Member

In the 45 mins since my last post I have done some websearching and found this-

""This Hydro Atomiser is an advanced spray droplet generator using rotary atomisation for the spraying of a wide range of liquids for odour control and dust suppression. The atomiser uses a unique cylinder, which produces spray droplets within a narrow spectrum of sizes over a wide range of flow rates. The narrow droplet spectrum ensures that the maximum amount of liquid is sprayed as droplets of the optimum size and minimises wastage or contamination from excessively small or large droplets.""

I have sent an email to [email protected] <[email protected]> -

""Spraying of landfill sites
I live in Hyndburn Borough Council area in Lancashire.
Our landfill site is situated at Whinney Hill in our borough.
Residents nearby have observed the automated spraying of the site and have described the smell of the spray as akin to air fresheners.
I ask you to please provide me with the chemical composition of the liquids permitted to be used in such spraying.""

I hope we get an answer - I will report back when we do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg landfill.jpg (10.6 KB, 22 views)

Old 21-08-2007, 23:25   #7
God Member

I don't live in the area Margaret, but I think it is great that you have gone to the trouble of finding the facts out for the people who do.
Old 22-08-2007, 10:33   #8
God Member

Would it be possible to adapt this method so we could have an anti-gypo spray? Maybe it could be combined with summat smelling nice and aerial sprayed over Church? That way we could get rid of two problems at once - the stink from Blythes/Ashworths and our ever present traveller chums.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 11:08   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Would it be possible to adapt this method so we could have an anti-gypo spray? Maybe it could be combined with summat smelling nice and aerial sprayed over Church? That way we could get rid of two problems at once - the stink from Blythes/Ashworths and our ever present traveller chums.
There may come a time when governments will spray inhalable sedatives into the air in order to control public unrest.
We need to let them know we are watching out for the air we breathe.
The introduction of such sedatives would have been easier to add to the water supply, but nowadays people either filter their drinking water or buy bottled.
Saddam Hussain pioneered the spraying practice on the Kurds.

I will now be labelled as a doomsday/conspiracy advocate, and my suggestion of sedatives is rather extreme, but we just need to be vigilant to protect air and water quality - basic life essentials

Old 22-08-2007, 14:11   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There may come a time when governments will spray inhalable sedatives into the air in order to control public unrest.
We need to let them know we are watching out for the air we breathe.
The introduction of such sedatives would have been easier to add to the water supply, but nowadays people either filter their drinking water or buy bottled.
Saddam Hussain pioneered the spraying practice on the Kurds.

I will now be labelled as a doomsday/conspiracy advocate, and my suggestion of sedatives is rather extreme, but we just need to be vigilant to protect air and water quality - basic life essentials
Perhaps it is a little extreme ... but the "vigilant" bit is right on ... get on the bastards now with the little things and the big things will never happen. Citizens have a right to be free from exposure to potentially toxic chemicals released into the environment. Locally (my locale not yours) city council is preparing (under pressure) to ban the use of chemical pesticides and herbicides for cosmetic use on lawns. Good move ... hard to police, but good move.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:21   #11
God Member

I have a reply---

""Dear Ms Rothwell,
Thank you for your email regarding spraying of landfill sites. I have forwarded your email to the Environment Agency to respond. If you have any problem, please contact them on the free phone number; Environment Agency's Incident hotline: 0800 807060.
Regards
Air, Environment Quality Team""

I will pass on the 'proper' reply when I get it. Meanwhile, if any of you downwind of the landfill are having repiratory problems,the freephone number number they have supplied can get you the info sooner

Old 22-08-2007, 17:14   #12
God Member

Would have thought a member or an employee from Hyndburn Council would have replied to this thread before now without it being necessary for Margaret R. having to contact a Govt. dept.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:34   #13
God Member

Council employees who are refilling the spray tanks are not likely to know what chemicals are in the liquid.
Before the local enviro health are asked I though it may be wise to know what chemicals are ALLOWED by law. Council may be cost cutting and using alternatives. (Its just my suspicous lack of trust showing )

Old 22-08-2007, 18:34   #14

i understand that some people can be allergic to the stuff and i sympavise with you but the council wont think like that straight away espesially doing trip at 3 and 4 o clock in the morning there not quite that advance yet but i thought it wouold of been a great idea... i would rather smell that i think than the tip to be quite honest
Old 22-08-2007, 20:39   #15
Resting in Peace

I thought it was where they are sending all the smokers.... or is that going to now give them idea's:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..