Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2009, 19:03   #1
Senior Member+

What do you make of this?

I have to say this has made me very annoyed, sure Stephen Gately may not have been to everyone's liking but I think this woman's vitriolic attack is bang out of order. There is a Facebook page that you can register on too.

BBC NEWS | UK | Anger over Mail column on Gately
Old 16-10-2009, 19:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: What do you make of this?

Femail | Mail Online
Link to the original Daily Mail article, not for those of us with any sense of compassion or an iota of care.....
Old 16-10-2009, 19:50   #3
God Member

Quote:
What do you make of this?
id say about 99% of the people on twitter and facebook havnt even read the article but more likely that they got invited to be offened and accepted the invitation

thats what i make of it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 20:05   #4
God Member

I read this article earlier on another forum...it's no surprise that the daily mail printed it as an "article" and not as a report so as to avoid any slander claims the lads family may put forward..there is no evidence of any wild sexual drunken drug taking orgy in this death so the daily mail make one up..it's quite sad really, same as the people who buy this "newspaper"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 20:11   #5
God Member

What a terrible article, what gives people the right to print stuff like this?
Old 16-10-2009, 20:16   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
id say about 99% of the people on twitter and facebook havnt even read the article but more likely that they got invited to be offened and accepted the invitation

thats what i make of it
I read the article, I am offended, I didn't get invited to do anything,it's my right to express my opinion, have a look at the hundreds of complaints before you judge anyone. How would you feel if some journo was saying things like that about your recently dead son? Happy? Thought not.
Old 16-10-2009, 21:06   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I read the article, I am offended, I didn't get invited to do anything,it's my right to express my opinion, have a look at the hundreds of complaints before you judge anyone. How would you feel if some journo was saying things like that about your recently dead son? Happy? Thought not.

couldnt give a toss about the guy dead or alive infact i can quite safely say his death has not effected me in any way except a sigh of relief his poop band has even less chance of bothering with another release any time soon

im not a fan of what papers print about people but as long as it dosnt effect me then i couldnt give a hoot what they say about some medioca celebrity especially from that rag newspaper

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 21:25   #8
God Member

I did have some tasteless jokes lined up but the Mail have put the mockers on them.. now there is a difference, what I or anyone posting on a local forum can be slammed or deleted.. but when a national newspaper slags off the parents of a lad they have just lost (without any evidence) then it is not on..makes me wonder if this had been my son.. shotguns and life in prison springs to mind.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 21:43   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I did have some tasteless jokes lined up but the Mail have put the mockers on them.. now there is a difference, what I or anyone posting on a local forum can be slammed or deleted.. but when a national newspaper slags off the parents of a lad they have just lost (without any evidence) then it is not on..makes me wonder if this had been my son.. shotguns and life in prison springs to mind.
Exactly, that journalist is in a position of power, her words able to influence other peoples opinions. She has shown no compassion, no care, and has actually gone against medical opinion in favour of her own homophobic, narrow minded rantings.Hopefully she will get what she deserves as the backlash seems to be gathering pace. Would she have been so vicious if it had been Ronan found dead? I think not.
Old 17-10-2009, 02:44   #10
Resting in Peace

Can't see any suspisious circumstances at all.Happens all the time.

Couple go out on the town,invite stranger back for a game of ludo partner takes stranger to bed and other partner wakes up dead.

Run of the mill stuff really.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 07:06   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Can't see any suspisious circumstances at all.Happens all the time.

Couple go out on the town,invite stranger back for a game of ludo partner takes stranger to bed and other partner wakes up dead.

Run of the mill stuff really.
Except that he was 33 and supposedly healthy, which make it look like something is being kept quiet.

I could not believe the Spanish authorities released his body before the the fluid in his lungs had be identified. Again that is strange.

Something that annoys me is when public people like musicians complain about TV and newspapers. Without TV and newspapers they are nothing anyway. They want to be on the front page every week but it would appear to be only when it suits them.
Old 17-10-2009, 17:00   #12
Beacon of light

I read the article too, and I didn't get the impression that Jan Moir was being homophobic.......she was observing that despite civil partnerships, these couples still go through the same kind of trials that heterosexual couples may experience......they have the same kind of ups and downs.

I do agree with Neil, that these minor celebs court the media, and then when the media turn on them.....as they always do......the bleat about it.

And the whole of the media are to blame....they circle like vultures waiting to pounce on the corpses of deceased 'stars'....they fill their pages with assumptions and innuendo.

I made absolutely nothing of this article, it certainly didn't offend me, and while it is sad that this young man's life is ended in such a way.....he lived his life in the way that he wanted.
No thought, (or very little thought) is given to the loss of young lives in the pusuit of democracy for a country that has no links to ours(Afghanistan).......I am more offended by the lack of support and equipment for these young men, than I am over some faded pop star.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 18:05   #13
God Member

..............To be honest i can`t really see anything wrong or offensive about the article but that may just be me
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 18:07   #14
God Member

I had never heard of him so his death and news of it wasn't worth reading about

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 22:08   #15
Senior Member+

lol margaret. Same here. Though it is still sad somebody dying so young. Even if it is some gay pukeband singer. Sorry lindsay, I cant be offended that much by papers nowadays. Since when have you read anything positive in news papers lately?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..