Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2011, 22:05   #91

Re: What do you think about the cuts in arts funding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If the children aren't building dens and enjoying 'tactile experiences' they might have more time to learn to read,write and do maths. Going off what employers and universities say they certainly need it.
A childs first painting at school will be impossible without arts grant support? Don't be foolish.
Designers, architects, wheelchair designers? Now you're really bringing tears to my eyes. Not one of those you list needs or gets arts grant support. I HOPE! I wouldn't like to live in a house designed by an architect who couldn't survive without an arts grant.
Times are bad. People who come from 'northern impoverished old mill towns' need a lot of convincing that the taxes they pay should, at the moment, be spent on art, or even Art.
Forget the emotion and give us just one thing from the art world you think needs and deserves some of the money we're currently borrowing from the rest of the world!
Garinda- I am coming to the end of a Graphic design degree. Some people may feel the need to start harping on about how myself, being a student, is just wasting your taxes etc.
Let me assure you that no money for my education has come from your wallets/purses or anyone elses but my own. I have worked from the age of 16, full time once I left college and have never been out of work. So I think enough of my own taxes would cover that. But I am a self-funding student. Do I get a loan, yes but it has to be paid back-every penny.

(Gordon) So the cuts have been discussed with us (lucky us eh?) and the future of many courses looks bleak. That includes design, multi-media (film makers, web designers, product designers etc). Although there are plenty of professionals out there quite capable of doing the job and not needing funding, eventually the trades may diminish like many before and I just wonder where that will leave us.
'A child's first painting at school will be impossible without arts grant support? Don't be foolish.' I didn't actually say that.

With regards to something that might be worthwhile, how about using an old derelict building for a creative hub, (artists, designers, sculptors musicians etc) which would not only generate local income through visitors, but would also give employment and volunteer opportunities to those in the 'local mill towns'. Cafe, local workshops.

It's main aim would be to improve community solidarity and give people of all ages the skills to become partially sufficient from the land.
Rather than having an empty building that once served as a mill, why not use it for a new kind of employment opportunity?

What if it was developed mainly from private funds- not government funding, but the local community had a say in it's development?

Rather than a profit making company, it would be a social enterprise- non profit, putting back in to the local area.
keetah_992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2011, 22:12   #92
Give, give, give member

Lol, good work in the real world, where commerce is king.

Like I said, bring on the cuts to the arts!

The good will flourish, because people will want to part with money for it.

The rest will happily be gone.

Bye bye Wooly Gonk and Knitty Nora.

Bye bye Flash Mob.

Bye bye state funded dross.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 20:03   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah_992000 View Post
Garinda- I am coming to the end of a Graphic design degree. Some people may feel the need to start harping on about how myself, being a student, is just wasting your taxes etc.
Let me assure you that no money for my education has come from your wallets/purses or anyone elses but my own. I have worked from the age of 16, full time once I left college and have never been out of work. So I think enough of my own taxes would cover that. But I am a self-funding student. Do I get a loan, yes but it has to be paid back-every penny.

(Gordon) So the cuts have been discussed with us (lucky us eh?) and the future of many courses looks bleak. That includes design, multi-media (film makers, web designers, product designers etc). Although there are plenty of professionals out there quite capable of doing the job and not needing funding, eventually the trades may diminish like many before and I just wonder where that will leave us.
'A child's first painting at school will be impossible without arts grant support? Don't be foolish.' I didn't actually say that.

With regards to something that might be worthwhile, how about using an old derelict building for a creative hub, (artists, designers, sculptors musicians etc) which would not only generate local income through visitors, but would also give employment and volunteer opportunities to those in the 'local mill towns'. Cafe, local workshops.

It's main aim would be to improve community solidarity and give people of all ages the skills to become partially sufficient from the land.
Rather than having an empty building that once served as a mill, why not use it for a new kind of employment opportunity?

What if it was developed mainly from private funds- not government funding, but the local community had a say in it's development?

Rather than a profit making company, it would be a social enterprise- non profit, putting back in to the local area.
keetah, I admire you for the things you say in your first paragraph(although don't forget the universities are heavily subsidised by the state ie.other taxpayers, over and above what it has cost you).Good for you and I hope you're never out of work!
However, you then start your fantasizing again- do you realize what converting an 'old derelict building/mill' to meet current Health and Safety standards would cost? We then, I assume, subsidise your artists, designers, sculptors, musicians etc. so that they can generate a little local income, hopefully. You're not talking about employment opportunity, you're talking about subsidised opportunity.
Community solidarity is created by men and women working together in something that generates wealth for their country and having hopes for their future, I remember it well. The only way we can repay the money we are borrowing is by exporting things to countries who will pay us for them,whether it's banking, services,cars or even guns. See Germany!
We can't afford your dreams at the moment. Sorry.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 21:20   #94

Gordon, you made me chuckle.

Embrace my fantasies :P
Old 27-04-2011, 21:28   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Gordon, you made me chuckle.

Embrace my fantasies :P
keetah i think me n many would love to embrace yer fantasies, have a vested interest meself, but it just aint practical/affordable in this climate.
Old 27-04-2011, 21:31   #96

Sounds interesting.

What kind of interests do you hold in your vest?
Old 27-04-2011, 21:34   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Sounds interesting.

What kind of interests do you hold in your vest?
that'd be telling.
Old 27-04-2011, 21:34   #98
Beacon of light

Keetah...you don't want to be knowing that kind of stuff
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 21:35   #99
Beacon of light

I mean...just look at his avatar will you !
Old 27-04-2011, 22:23   #100

Oh I have met him in person, serving him ale he didn't need lol !
Old 28-04-2011, 06:17   #101
Beacon of light

see....so you know what I mean then.
Don't mean it Cashy.........I know you are a top bloke...and I count you as a friend!
Old 28-04-2011, 08:46   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
see....so you know what I mean then.
Don't mean it Cashy.........I know you are a top bloke...and I count you as a friend!
And some would say an artist too
Old 28-04-2011, 09:36   #103
Beacon of light

Well.......John! Actually, I did think that...... but thought I would let someone else say it
Old 28-04-2011, 09:42   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well.......John! Actually, I did think that...... but thought I would let someone else say it
He'll get his own back Margaret, he usually stands on my oxygen tube for 5 minutes until I turn blue
Old 28-04-2011, 11:05   #105
Beacon of light

Then gives you the kiss of life and makes you blush......No John don't...it is too much for delicate nature to comprehend

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..