Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2005, 11:11   #1
Roy
Administrator

What happened to the green cross code?

I'm just wondering what on earth happened to teaching kids and pedestrians about road safety? Why has all focus been directed onto the drivers of cars? All well and good that slowing down to 10 miles per hour reduces injuries, but if the pedestrian/child is not in the road in the first place then they will suffer no injury at all. When I was a child we had adverts on the TV featuring charlie and co and it drummed into us the green cross code and all about STOP, LOOK and LISTEN. Why are these campaigns no longer in action? Targetting drivers is pointless as there will always be idiots, targetting children when they are young and teaching them sense and road awareness has got to be a better way.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2005, 11:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: What happened to the green cross code?

Well roy not always the case is it!! not to long ago just up the road near my childrens school the was a drunk driver being chased by the police lost control of the car and went into the back of a 12 year old girl who was walking to school this was at 8.50 am, so you see you dont even have to be in the road to be hit by a car, and in the highway code book does it not stress all the way through that you must give way to pedestriens even if they are in the road?

All to often it used to drive me crazy when i was pushing the pram and you would get some unthoughtful git park the full car on the pavement so mum and pram had to go into the road to get around the car!!!

Sorry but you cant shift the blame to the pedestriens while my children hold my hands you are always responsible for your vehicle if you cant handle it dont drive it.

I was run over when i was younger and that was after i looked both ways!!

Sorry if i sound frantic but if people drove as they should and maintained their vehicle you should always be aware of the children around you your brakes should be well kept and yes children should always be tought the Green Cross Road.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 11:36   #3
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Well roy not always the case is it!! not to long ago just up the road near my childrens school the was a drunk driver being chased by the police lost control of the car and went into the back of a 12 year old girl who was walking to school this was at 8.50 am
This has nothing to do with my point at all.. nobody can avoid a mad drunken fool ploughing into the pavement, I never said they could!

Quote:
Sorry but you cant shift the blame to the pedestriens while my children hold my hands you are always responsible for your vehicle if you cant handle it dont drive it.
Not shifting blame, not blaming anyone.

Quote:
I was run over when i was younger and that was after i looked both ways!!
I don't see how this is possible really? If you looked both ways you would have seen a car coming, unless you where crossing to close to a junction?

Quote:
Sorry if i sound frantic but if people drove as they should and maintained their vehicle you should always be aware of the children around you your brakes should be well kept and yes children should always be tought the Green Cross Road.
Of course cars should always be maintained, but even a well maintaned vehicle doing 10miles per hour will injure a child if they cross in front of it.
Old 14-06-2005, 11:46   #4
Member.

I can remember the Tuffty Ads with the Red Squirrel and later the Green Cross Code Man. At the back of my mind I have an idea that Noddy and big ears did some road safety ads?

I think today the risk element of educating kids about road safety and the cost of public safety announcements on the television have all but brought the end to it. Watching kids coming out of schools is enough to make you want to leave the car at home….and then you have those kids and menaces who chose to race other peoples vehicles, bikes and quads on the public highway without regard for anyone’s safety.

I believe that schools should educate our kids in road awareness and safety and make it a part of the early year’s education program and award road safety certificates and a descent pin badge for different levels of achievement. Reinforcing the value of personal safety with something that is it’s self of value is the most likely way of getting them to see some sense of value in their own safety and that of others. This should also be supported with the reintroduction of sensible road safety public information films that show true to life events of failing to act responsibly on the Streets, road and highways.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 11:52   #5
God Member

As a new parent I will be making sure that the GCC will be drummed into Siobhan. As will cycling proficiency and road sense. I take it as part of my parental responsibility to do so.

Then again, I was brought up not dragged up.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 11:54   #6
Resting in Peace

What is the attitude to road safety in Russia like Roy ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:02   #7
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
What is the attitude to road safety in Russia like Roy ?
Every man for himself! It is illegal here to cross the road unless on a crossing or under a subway. Drivers drive as fast as they can, which is a good deterrant for the pedestrians.. You've got to be crazy to not STOP LOOK and LISTEN. Main problem here is with drink drivers, as bribing the police is all you have to do to get away with it.
Old 14-06-2005, 12:09   #8

maybe twil be a gd idea to ave that here lol.

i was brought up with the GCC and even teach it at cub's and beavers and will certainly be passing it down to my childeren when they come along.
Old 14-06-2005, 12:17   #9
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
As a new parent I will be making sure that the GCC will be drummed into Siobhan. As will cycling proficiency and road sense. I take it as part of my parental responsibility to do so.
Then again, I was brought up not dragged up.
Exactly Ian, I too will be doing the same. It worries me that people would rather blame something that is out of their control than themselves. Yes its easy to say that car was driving to fast, but then you wouldn't have had to worry about that if you didn't step out in front of it.... I can't control how other people drive, but I can control how I cross the road.
Old 14-06-2005, 12:17   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
This has nothing to do with my point at all.. nobody can avoid a mad drunken fool ploughing into the pavement, I never said they could!

Not shifting blame, not blaming anyone.

I don't see how this is possible really? If you looked both ways you would have seen a car coming, unless you where crossing to close to a junction?

Of course cars should always be maintained, but even a well maintaned vehicle doing 10miles per hour will injure a child if they cross in front of it.
Sorry i think i rambled on a bit to much there what i ment to say in basic words were even if we all taught our children the green cross code it still would not always prevent accidents, i think i went a bit deep even for myself there sorry .

when i was about 7 or 8 i was only knee high to a grass hopper and the road i was crossing had a slight hill when i looked there was no car but as i got half way accross it hit me the lady in the car didnt see me either as she got to the top of the hill i was just there,
no fault it just happened.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:34   #11

The majority of schools do learn the children about road safety. It is taught in reception and also in years 1 and 2. It is re-inforced throughout the school as the children get older. But i do think parents need to do there bit as well, whilst out with children.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:36   #12
God Member

Who can answer the question - what is the connection between the Green Cross Code and Star Wars ?(certainly at least the very first film, 1977)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:37   #13
mez
God Member

i watch with dread the children who leave the school nr me, one day there WILL be a very bad accident, ive yet to see the children,even the parents checking the rd before they cross.
Old 14-06-2005, 12:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Who can answer the question - what is the connection between the Green Cross Code and Star Wars ?(certainly at least the very first film, 1977)
The connection is with the first 3 movies.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:46   #15
Beacon of light

I have been in the position of driving my car and children have deliberately walked into my path........and then walked as slowly as possible, almost daring me to hit them...or perhaps they wanted to see how quickly I could stop......having just come through a set of traffic lights I was only going about 15 miles per hour.
When I stopped my car and told these children they were playing a very dangerous game I was met with a stream of abuse......the eldest of these children was perhaps 8years old.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..