Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09   #1
God Member

What if.....?

As you can see from another thread I was in an accident last night and this morning Chris and I went through the obligatory 'what if....?' conversation. It does make you wonder though about the whole sliding doors concept.

For instance 'what if I'd have not forgotten my camera when we were leaving the do?' I wouldn't have had to go back into the room, we would have been two minutes earlier on our trip - would we have missed the white car completely or would we have been closer to the junction and got the full impact head on? 'What if I'd have taken the time to say goodbye to a couple more people that I forgot to say good bye to as we were leaving'. We'd have been a couple of minutes later - would we have missed the white car or would we have met up with it further down the road at another junction? 'What if we'd have stopped up the road for some chips (as Chris was considering) would we have missed the white car or would the lunatic have knocked us down whilst we were crossing the road?

I guess what I'm saying is that there were many, many variables in our journey home last night (especially as it was a drive from Todmorden) but what if.....?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10   #2
God Member

Re: What if.....?

Has anyone else ever had the 'what if' conversation?

Old 01-10-2006, 11:22   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Has anyone else ever had the 'what if' conversation?
Sorry Gayle I'd love to speculate this with you but I'm meeting Mick to go the Stag and what if, talking to you meant that by the time I got there they had run out of beer? (Just doesn't bear thinking about).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:27   #4
Caz
God Member

A few years ago, when we moved into our previous house. We had only been there 1 day, and some lunatic decided to set the house next door on fire. As we had just moved in we hadn't got round to fitting the smoke alarms. We knew nothing about it till a neighbour woke us up. He was due to get up for work on shifts, had realised what was happening, called the brigade, and knocked us up. The house was already smoke logged. Always wonder what would have happened if he had been working another shift. Would we even be here?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Sorry Gayle I'd love to speculate this with you but I'm meeting Mick to go the Stag and what if, talking to you meant that by the time I got there they had run out of beer? (Just doesn't bear thinking about).
Who's stalking who now? What if I was able to post a sensible thread and you didn't enter it? - see how I remembered the smilies.

Old 01-10-2006, 14:59   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Who's stalking who?
Oh, shucks, you noticed, see Mick, she does care after all.

****Thread wander alert****

But is it, Who's stalking who? or Who's stalking whom? Thats another one that always confuses me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 16:33   #7
God Member

I don't know Less, it's probably 'whom' - let's ask Lynne Trusse.

Old 01-10-2006, 16:40   #8
Senior Member+

man what if's...

last nite at work a venue near ours the electricity cut out. so everyone was going to flood out and try to get in our venue at 4-5am. our venue was informed and yet none of the guys at the front were informed of this or else we could've taken action early and done somethign. at worst we had about 30 guy trying to break the door down with me and 5 other guys stuck outside. we were in the midst and if it had kicked off big time - we wud've been done for. a few punches were thrown and we were lucky only two guys got hit with a punch each. the 20-30guys who were trying to get in were notorious drug dealers that even the police dont come down to intervene.

after we all had the what if stuff - what if we'd been told closed the doors quickly and made sure we were all inside? what if desmond didnt wander off when it seemed to be receding? what if it did kick off and it was 6 doormen against 20-30 - we were easily outnumbered 3-4 thugs to one.

but in the end it was just a thing - no use pondering on what couldve happened or what did - it happened deal with it.
Old 01-10-2006, 16:57   #9

So sorry to hear about the accident, Gayle. Sounds as if things could have been a heck of a lot worse, though. My philosophy on "What if?" Pointless to dwell on what has already happened because you cannot do anything about it after the fact. Hope the idiot driver is found and prosecuted before she kills someone. I suspect being behind the wheel is going to make you very nervous for quite some time.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 17:07   #10
Senior Member+

I often think "what if". I had 1 of these moments when i met my girlfriend. I'd been working nights, & after my last night i never went to bed so that i'd be tired later in the day & could get back to a regular sleep pattern. On this occasion i'd gone out in the evening for a couple of drinks & was about to leave the pub 10:30pm because i was shattered. Curiosity got the better of me though, & i decided to go to the Brigde on Church St, just to see if anybody i knew was out. In the bridge i usually drink WKD, but on this occasion i ordered "3 Reef for a fiver". Because i now had 3 drinks i had to stay longer than i intended to. My mate, his girlfriend & her friend walked in & we all chatted. We've now been together for 2 & half years.

What if...... I gone straight home?

What if...... I'd had my usual drink?

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 17:29   #11
God Member

Life is one big what if. Everything you do, including reading my post changes your life, so, therefore everybody around you changes your life and most people around you control your life. To say they don't is complete rubbish, friends family the boss, the council, the governement all control your life. Makes you wonder how we ever end up getting together in couples doesn't it jay.
I'm interested in someone up there I met through this site, I wouldn't even know her if the ex wasn't an ex, and I wouldn't know the ex if it wasn't for the ex ex. But then I wouldn't have a pc if it wasn't for my brother.

With all those variables is it possible that our life path is mapped out already ?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 17:39   #12
Senior Member+

I know what you mean. If i hadn't met my girlfriend then i'd probably still be doing my previous job. I met my ex through my previous job, If i hadn't been with her, then i wouldn't live in Accrington now & wouldn't be on this site.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:15   #13
Senior Member+

that film sliding doors is a great wat if movie

what if that guy misses his train or gets on it... its shot lovely
Old 02-10-2006, 07:04   #14
Resident Waffler

I sometimes think "What if" about things - like what if I'd stayed in Ireland, but you never know if it would have been worse or better than where I am now so I 'm just thankful for how things are and get on with life.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:03   #15
God Member

I gave up on the what if question and now just go with the flow wether it be good bad outragous or plain daft When I did think what if it just made me feel worse if it was bad or jealous if good.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..