Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What should Greg do now?
Keep his head down and obey the party whips 3 15.79%
Become a labour rebel and give 'em hell 15 78.95%
Cross the floor and take the Tory whip 2 10.53%
ditto - take the Lib-Dem whip 1 5.26%
Declare independence 1 5.26%
Retie into Annie's Bar for tyhe rest of this parliament 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 16:10   #16
Senior Member+

Re: What should Greg Pope do next?

because you can! ive just voted for all of them to see if it worked..... sorry

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2008, 16:11   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
because you can! ive just voted for all of them to see if it worked..... sorry
Well, I didn't think it was worth sabotaging the result for that purpose lol when it TELLS you you can do that but whatever mad woman
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:13   #18
Senior Member+

please ignore my votes... i have absolutely no idea what i am doing.....

please refer to my sig for proof

I think the cow poo fumes coming through my window are affecting my brain

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:28   #19
Super Moderator

Become a Labour rebel like Frank Fields and the late Gwyneth Dunwoody. We need more politicians like them!
Old 11-05-2008, 21:15   #20
God Member

I'd rather have an MP who votes how his constituency would like him to vote either for teh benefit of the people or becasue teh majority of people canvass him to do so. During the Iraq War vote he openly said he didn't care what the people of hyndburn wanted him to vote for he would do what "HE" wanted

I notice the goverment are good at quickly introducing things when it benefits them but extremely slow when it comes to giving back. all people want is an equal crack of the whip.

PS, not voted casue there wasn't a "resign" option.

The only thing I think he has in his favour is that the Conservatives should announce who will be standing against him now so that person can start making waves in the community, they can start holding surgeries and they can start building the very rapport that so many people on here seem to hold in Gregs favour. Unfortunately they seem to have their heads up their backsides. fo goodness sake put Cyfr up for it. He has more drive and vigour in his arguments and a genuine passion for it than I have seen in any politician round this neck of the woods.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 11-05-2008 at 21:19.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 21:24   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'd rather have an MP who votes how his constituency would like him to vote either for teh benefit of the people or becasue teh majority of people canvass him to do so. During the Iraq War vote he openly said he didn't care what the people of hyndburn wanted him to vote for he would do what "HE" wanted

I notice the goverment are good at quickly introducing things when it benefits them but extremely slow when it comes to giving back. all people want is an equal crack of the whip.

PS, not voted casue there wasn't a "resign" option.

The only thing I think he has in his favour is that the Conservatives should announce who will be standing against him now so that person can start making waves in the community, they can start holding surgeries and they can start building the very rapport that so many people on here seem to hold in Gregs favour. Unfortunately they seem to have their heads up their backsides. fo goodness sake put Cyfr up for it. He has more drive and vigour in his arguments and a genuine passion for it than I have seen in any politician round this neck of the woods.
I think that Cyfr would make a good MP too.
Old 11-05-2008, 23:02   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The only thing I think he has in his favour is that the Conservatives should announce who will be standing against him now so that person can start making waves in the community, they can start holding surgeries and they can start building the very rapport that so many people on here seem to hold in Gregs favour. Unfortunately they seem to have their heads up their backsides.
They might think a different approach might be more successful this time, and that's why they can't decide who should stand against Greg Pope, and that's why they're keeping them under wraps.

After all there was no higher profile local Conservative candidate than Peter Britcliffe, and the people of Hyndburn declined his kind offer of being our M.P....twice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:46   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even the local Tories wouldn't be so daft as to go for third time unlucky.

Apparently the local Conservative party want Janet Storey as their candidate, but Tory H.Q. are too thrilled with their choice.
You and Jones seem to have more inside knowledge than the local Conservatives have. I am jealous.

As far as the two elections go, the Conservatives hardly made inroads anywhere, I don't think it was simply down to people voting personally against Britcliffe.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
You and Jones seem to have more inside knowledge than the local Conservatives have. I am jealous.

As far as the two elections go, the Conservatives hardly made inroads anywhere, I don't think it was simply down to people voting personally against Britcliffe.
Well I'm a bit jealous too Cyfr, seeing that I'm a party member and am entitled to have a say on the matter, and I haven't been made aware of any short list being decided upon yet. On Greg Pope, I agree with entwis, he should take into consideration the thoughts of the people of Hyndburn, its no use making a token protest then backing down, when Brown fobs him of
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08   #25
God Member

Quote:
fo goodness sake put Cyfr up for it. He has more drive and vigour in his arguments and a genuine passion for it than I have seen in any politician round this neck of the woods.
Haha, maybe I'll be a late runner? Some young blood

One day
Old 12-05-2008, 09:09   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I think that Cyfr would make a good MP too.
Well havig met this young man and talked to him at lenghth, I cannot disagree Lilly, one day I'm sure he will make a good MP, but before that he needs to complte his education and then cut his teeth on the local council, maybe Peel Ward in four years time
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Spill the beans....who's the Tory? Not Britcliffe, surely?
Tealeaf I can categorically confirm it will not be Peter Britcliffe
Old 12-05-2008, 10:56   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Tealeaf I can categorically confirm it will not be Peter Britcliffe
Oh, so you do know something, just not as much as me about the local Conservative's preferred candidate?

What can I say, besides I have friends in low places? Plus the fact that Janet Storey's name appeared in the press as a prospective candidate, when the local Conservatives were caught off guard last Autumn when a General Election was a possibility.

My little mole tells me that although Janet Storey is the local choice, the bigwigs down in London at Tory H.Q., feel she might not be the face of 'hug a hoodie' 'new' Conservatism.

There's nothing like unity....and this is nothing like it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh, so you do know something, just not as much as me about the local Conservative's preferred candidate?

What can I say, besides I have friends in low places? Plus the fact that Janet Storey's name appeared in the press as a prospective candidate, when the local Conservatives were caught off guard last Autumn when a General Election was a possibility.

My little mole tells me that although Janet Storey is the local choice, the bigwigs down in London at Tory H.Q., feel she might not be the face of 'hug a hoodie' 'new' Conservatism.

There's nothing like unity....and this is nothing like it.
Well Rindi, I no longer attend any party meetings, but before the local party can select a Parliamentry candidate it has to go before the membership, so Janet can't be the prefared choise as you put it, but if se was it would have sod all to do with London, we select our own candidate not London, unlike the Labour party who foist candidates on people . As for Peter not standing he told me a long time ago that he has no intention of going for nation politics again
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17   #30
God Member

Although she might be a possible candidate, its by no means a forgone conclusion. There may well, and usually is, other candidates. It's then up to the local association to select their preferred candidate, and as yet I have heard nothing of a selection.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..