Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2013, 12:51   #16

What The F... ...oolishness Is Going On?

That's a generational issue though Jaysay. My parents are older than you but never bought anything they couldn't afford. I think many people today could learn a lot from that as there is no happiness to be found in debt.

Those of us brought up during Maggies era, or later got conditioned to believe we needed all sorts of material crap that is expensive and usually pointless. Buy today and forget about it tomorrow was the norm.

I remember buying carpets for a house that cost £65 a square yard in the 1990s. It was buy now, nothing to pay for a year then payments over 4 years. By the end of year five I had moved house twice and paying for someone else's carpets 2 years prior! In reality I should have bought what I could afford which would have been more like £6 a square yard at the time.

Personal finance should be MANDITORY in schools instead of non-existent. If it were up to me I would move Religious Education out and personal financial management in. There are few life skills more important or young people to learn than this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2013, 14:22   #17

Re: What The F... ...oolishness Is Going On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post

Personal finance should be MANDITORY in schools instead of non-existent. If it were up to me I would move Religious Education out and personal financial management in. There are few life skills more important or young people to learn than this.
I would probably do that too. Schools seem to teach very little about taking care of yourself in life, and I don't think religion has a place in education.
Old 19-04-2013, 15:39   #18
God Member

Quote:

Personal finance should be MANDITORY in schools
So should spelling

But definitely agree on the "generational" thing ... I still behave responsibly when it comes to spending. I shop for "specials", make good use of my freezer, try not to waste food, and avoid the "never never" (I think my grandad used to call it that.) This leads me to think that the type of education you are talking about has to be learned in the home. I guess I'm not that much use to a hot consumer economy ... I still think of a plate as something off which I eat food, and not as something to enhance the ambiance of my kitchen.
Less, cashman, jaysay and 1 others like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 17:40   #19
Resting in Peace

Re: What The Foolishness Is Going On?

Quote:
That's a generational issue though Jaysay. My parents are older than you but never bought anything they couldn't afford. I think many people today could learn a lot from that as there is no happiness to be found in debt.

Those of us brought up during Maggie's era, or later got conditioned to believe we needed all sorts of material crap that is expensive and usually pointless. Buy today and forget about it tomorrow was the norm.

I remember buying carpets for a house that cost £65 a square yard in the 1990s. It was buy now, nothing to pay for a year then payments over 4 years. By the end of year five I had moved house twice and paying for someone else's carpets 2 years prior! In reality I should have bought what I could afford which would have been more like £6 a square yard at the time.

Your last paragraph is spot on Mr. G. certainly it's more important to get life skills, religion doesn't put food on the table or clothe your family's backs
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:49   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your last paragraph is spot on Mr. G. certainly it's more important to get life skills, religion doesn't put food on the table or clothe your family's backs
There you go again, what about feeding the five thousand?

We could do with kestrels second coming, then he could feed the millions and stop the charity ads on T.V.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:56   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

We could do with kestrels second coming, then he could feed the millions and stop the charity ads on T.V.
No way, the firsts been bad enough.
Old 20-04-2013, 13:59   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Well there's no need to sacrifice your beer money every week supporting these TV ads Less, just ignore them like I do
Old 22-04-2013, 00:47   #23

You did the right thing there Jaysay, Same prob with me...Club I used to go in, got friendly with a guy who was working, (I am retired) he asked if I could lend him a tenner...No big deal, here you are--Got it back the week later...Same again for a number of weeks. Then he upt it to £20 so I thought ,,OK got this back for a few weeks. Then the sting....OH dear can I pop round to yours on Friday, to give you the £20 back....Did the same as you Jaysay, ,,only I said, well to save you a bit just give me a tenner back and we will call it straight, NO more loans from now on.... Sorted, well sort of !!
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 08:21   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
You did the right thing there Jaysay, Same prob with me...Club I used to go in, got friendly with a guy who was working, (I am retired) he asked if I could lend him a tenner...No big deal, here you are--Got it back the week later...Same again for a number of weeks. Then he upt it to £20 so I thought ,,OK got this back for a few weeks. Then the sting....OH dear can I pop round to yours on Friday, to give you the £20 back....Did the same as you Jaysay, ,,only I said, well to save you a bit just give me a tenner back and we will call it straight, NO more loans from now on.... Sorted, well sort of !!
After that I have heeded the advice my mother when I was growing up, neither a borrower nor a lender be, doubt if she knew it was first made by Polonius in Shakespeare's Hamlet

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..