Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2005, 17:49   #1
God Member

What the US has today, we have tomorrow.

According to the Met Office, who know about such things, next week's weather is going to be a bit wet and wild. Particularly so for Wales and the North West. It is being speculated that as much as 100mm of rain (around four inches), two months worth, could well be dumped on us over the next week. It comes courtesy of three weather systems that are about to blow in from the Atlantic, the first on Monday, the second around Wednesday-ish. The arrival of the third weather system, which is possibly the most interesting, depends on the progress of Hurricane Wilma which this evening is positioned in the Gulf of Mexico and is revving up for an assault on Florida! BazF and JohnW, watch out! It is the remnants of Hurricane Wilma which we will shortly be welcoming to these shores.

The Met Office is expecting flooding as the rain strips leaves from trees which will in turn block drains.

Get your Wellies out and your sandbags filled; Autumn is on it's way!
Old 22-10-2005, 19:45   #2
God Member

Re: What the US has today, we have tomorrow.

Thanks for the warning A-B.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 20:31   #3
white rabbits

oh no ,we are at the coast .that must mean our insurance will be upped again
Old 22-10-2005, 20:42   #4
Member.

Thanks Bob, I’ll think about the weather whiles I’m trudging up the side of a mountain tomorrow morning in the rain and wind. I think that recent events have shown us which direction our weather is going in, rough, wet and windy in winter, hopefully with a few inches of snow to walk in and to b****y hot in summer. I personally believe that our weather is phased and cyclic. Historically we have suffered wild winter storms along the North West coast, so I’m not surprised by your comments. I just hope (selfishly, no doubt) that we’re above the flood levels….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 10:05   #5
Give, give, give member

If A-b's speculated four inches is true, then I'm staying indoors next week.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 10:17   #6
God Member

It's half term next week and I was planning on taking the kids to the Zoo - looks like that trip will be off!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 10:22   #7
God Member

A good website to have a look at

http://uk.weather.com

Gives a ten day weather report. Type in Accrington and you'll see we're in for rain and more rain. Scroll down and see the current satellite picture with the big swirly blob of weather that's heading our way. Think Bob's right, baton down the hatches and pile up the sandbags - we're in for a rough ride.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 13:28   #8
God Member

After the rain and the winds have passed and the cold weather is upon us the Water companies will declare a drought and seek to have some areas of the country declared "Water Stressed" which will give them the statutory right to compulsorily install water meters. Think I'm joking? There was an emergency meeting at the Department of the Environment last week to discuss it.
Old 23-10-2005, 14:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
A good website to have a look at

http://uk.weather.com

With any luck in will keep the trick or treaters in on halloween.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 15:21   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sounds about right- we do tend to get the aftermaths,but not thankfully the hurricanes ! "theres always a bright side".
Old 23-10-2005, 16:15   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think we've been quite lucky so far this year, in that we haven't really had much rain. I suppose that we a due a good old soaking. The only advantage for me is that the rain stops the kids playing out on the street. When you are on nights and trying to sleep during the day, there's nothing worse than somebody else's screaming children playing outside your house.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 18:50   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I think we've been quite lucky so far this year, in that we haven't really had much rain. I suppose that we a due a good old soaking. The only advantage for me is that the rain stops the kids playing out on the street. When you are on nights and trying to sleep during the day, there's nothing worse than somebody else's screaming children playing outside your house.
I like the rain for that reason as well Lettie, not that I work nights but when I'm trying to get Ellie to sleep all I can hear is screeching kids.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 05:58   #13

WEll judjing by the way the wind and rain are beating the house this morning, i'd say its well under way!!
I'm not looking forward to heading out of the door, it really does sound rough!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 11:43   #14
God Member

I hate this kind of weather when the children are off school. They are driving me mad already and it is only the start of the week. Hypo kids and bad weather are about as refreshing as warm beer in summer.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 12:07   #15

I certainly hope Bazf is OK. It looks as if Wilma will make landfall around the Naples area which is a good way south of Bazf. We in the N.E. of the state will have some tropical storm winds. The greatest threat, to those not in the direct path, are tornados. They can occur way out on the fringes of the hurricane.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..