Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18   #1
God Member

When playtime has to end.

I have in the past made the occaisional cynical observation that our sterling Boys-in-Blue have a higher than average propensity for dramatic overreaction. I have not quite gone so far as to describe them as a bunch of testosterone fuelled drama queens living out their juvenile action fantasies at the public expense instead of getting on wih the job. That would be rude. And it would denegrate the often deeply unpleasant and dangerous work they are sometimes called on to undertake.

But it must come to something when one of the premier newspapers of these islands has this to say about the organisation of our Police's response to the latest murderous outrages in the capital.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...690090,00.html

What do you think?????
Old 12-07-2005, 06:46   #2
God Member

Re: When playtime has to end.

Its quite hilarious really. In the same way that in the NHS we have all these layers of management whilst the real heroes at the ground level do sterling work those above just make the service an inefficient monster the guys who had to clean up the mess, tell people loved ones have been killed etc are lumbered with this shower as leadership.

Peter principle in full effect me thinks.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:34   #3
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE]But it must come to something when one of the premier newspapers of these islands has this to say about the organisation of our Police's response to the latest murderous outrages in the capital.[END QUOTE.]

The Thunderer? It used to be an august institution. Reading that makes me sad at how soon tradgedy is turned into political point scoring.

That piece of journalism would be worthy of one of The Time's and it's owner's other stablemates. Shame.

Boy's in blue? Thought we also had those other ones as well now? You know those with breasts?

Women,? Thats it, women.

Last edited by garinda; 12-07-2005 at 08:36.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43   #4
Resident Waffler

I know it isn't a laughing matter but if you didn't laugh you'd cry at times.

We recently flew into this country from an arab muslim country (no implication that anyone coming from such a place is necessarily a threat) and were able to walk through with not a sign of a customs official or anyone else in sight.

In contrast I once came back from Germany and was refused entry through customs as my luggage had decided to go on a hioliday of its own and I couldn't decalre that I had nothing to declare as my "nothing" was nowhere to be found. They eventully relented as long as I made a list of all the contents of the suitcase, right down to numbers of pairs of knicks!

But for the total outright prizewinner of my travelling experiences we have to go back a few years.

I used to travel quite regularly between England and Ireland visiting family and friends. (Most are now either deceased or have moved to England) During the "troubles" we were all given questionnaires to fill in before we got off the plane. Questions included:
Occupation................
Purpose of visit.......................

I once asked what would happen if I put "terrorist" and "bomb delivery" and the answer was a nervous laugh followed by "A real terrorist wouldn't put that though would they?" PRECISELY!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:52   #5
white rabbits

we live in a very sick world today,,, it doesent bear thinking about ..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Working for a major institution in this country, I can confidently say that these services, NHS, Police etc, are not badly managed......... In most cases they are over managed. For every new government initiative or target to meet, a manager is designated to oversee it. They will then call a meeting and appoint a chairperson and form a steering group. A working party is then formed and the whole kit and caboodle will have endless meetings which actually achieve a whole load of nothing. These meetings take people off the shop floor in order to attend them. Excuses such as 'we're too busy' 'we have criminals to catch' are vetoed therefore leaving the services understaffed. These meetings happen for one thing or another pretty much every day of the week (except weekend when aforementioned managers don't work). At these meetings you are usually presented with paperwork containing boxes, some which you tick, some which are designed to lump the proposals together. There is never a tick box which actually applies to the situation you are in. When this is mentioned (usually by a shop floor person) another meeting is called to discuss the lack of aforementioned relevant tick box, and the whole process starts again...

Does anyone think I'm bitter.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:10   #7
Resident Waffler

Possibly, just a teeny weeny bit there Lettie.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 13:03   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
But for the total outright prizewinner of my travelling experiences we have to go back a few years.

I used to travel quite regularly between England and Ireland visiting family and friends. (Most are now either deceased or have moved to England) During the "troubles" we were all given questionnaires to fill in before we got off the plane. Questions included:
Occupation................
Purpose of visit.......................

I once asked what would happen if I put "terrorist" and "bomb delivery" and the answer was a nervous laugh followed by "A real terrorist wouldn't put that though would they?" PRECISELY!
Or how about when you buy IT kit from Dell and there is a question

'Is this equipment to be used in the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction?'

To which a guy I know from a newsgroup legitimately had to answer yes as he works in the missile industry!.

Just after 9-11 Julie and I went to Acapulco. This meant flying directly over N-Y, Washington and within 20 mins flying of numerous other big cities. Landing at Orlando for refuelling we all had to fill in these questionaires etc. Be marched off the plane, through customs who promptly took the questionaries and threw them away without so much of a glance. I pointed out that we had just flown over all these major cities and don't you think that if we were going to fly into something we would have done it already! About 90 mins later when all our luggage had been unloaded, Xrayed and then reloaded we could get back on and continue our flight, After 30 minutes we were no longer in US airspace.

On the way back at Acapulco EVERY suitcase was opened, thoroughly checked before you could go to the checkin desk.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 13:11   #9
white rabbits

dont try to understand it ,you nead a degree in psycholigy...................
Old 14-07-2005, 17:21   #10
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
dont try to understand it ,you nead a degree in psycholigy...................
I've GOT a degree in psychology and I STILL don't understand it.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..