Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 20:58   #1
Give, give, give member

Where have all the jobs gone?

Where are people employed now?

Does nearly everyone have to commute out of the area to work?

Can't speak for the whole of Hyndburn, though many taditional jobs have gone from throughout the borough, but just in Ossy alone, in the last twenty years, I can think of....
Noel's pickle factory,
Cocker's chemicals,
Metcalfe's fertilisers.
Metcalfe & Tattersall's saws,
Gaskell's carpets,
Three Brooks mill,
the Daisy Dairy,
Will's fabrics,
John Wood's steel drums,
the Shopfitters,
S & G Aluminium,
all manufacturers, and major employers in the town, and companies that have now closed down.

Where are the jobs that have replaced them?

The number of shops is dwindling, and besides a few old folks homes, and some schools in the town, where are people employed?

How far do people now have to travel for work?

Have we turned from an area that historically manufactured things, to all working in the service industry, sat in call centres?

Or are we a satellite town, where people live, but commute from, to earn an honest crust?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2012, 20:59   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Where have all the jobs gone?

There seems to be more office based jobs now a lot of the old trades are not taking on apprentices.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 21:07   #3
God Member

did Cocker's chemicals deal in urine ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 04:52   #4
Resting in Peace

this firm is now on Blackburn road near the Antley garage
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 04:56   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
did Cocker's chemicals deal in urine ?
I don't know, but what they pumped into the brook that ran past it, turned it the same colour as pee, after a heavy night out on the ale.

When you think back, to when 60% of local people used to work in textile mills, or associated industries, all those jobs have now disappeared, but what's replaced them?

Surely not everyone's employed in public sector office jobs?

Old 23-05-2012, 05:02   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
this firm is now on Blackburn road near the Antley garage
Happily a firm to knock off the list.

I didn't know they'd relocated.

Cheers.

Old 23-05-2012, 06:10   #7
God Member

The problem is across the whole of Hyndburn G and when I hear talk about "getting everybody back to work", I often wonder where the jobs are coming from. Add these few to the list of local employers gone as well,
Brick Works
Rist Wires
T.M.L Plastics (though it had another name before closing) to name but three big employers as well. It is a disgrace for the borough
Old 23-05-2012, 06:39   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The problem is across the whole of Hyndburn G and when I hear talk about "getting everybody back to work", I often wonder where the jobs are coming from. Add these few to the list of local employers gone as well,
Brick Works
Rist Wires
T.M.L Plastics (though it had another name before closing) to name but three big employers as well. It is a disgrace for the borough
Yes, loads of people worked at Rist Wire's, plus Stanhill Ring and Enfield mills, but I couldn't remember exactly when they closed down.

I can't think of many new firms that have opened up in Hyndburn, to replace all the companies that used to employ thousands of local people.

Old 23-05-2012, 07:10   #9
Beacon of light

There was Broadley's print works in Clayton, Blakes Vitreous Enamel,Allspeeds, Carborundum had two mills in Clayton.......these have all gone.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 07:20   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There was Broadley's print works in Clayton, Blakes Vitreous Enamel,Allspeeds, Carborundum had two mills in Clayton.......these have all gone.
Not forgetting one of the area's largest employers, where hundreds, and hundreds worked, Bullough's.

Where's everyone employed now, that used to work locally manufacturing things?

They can't all be in the Globe centre, floggin' foreign holidays.

Old 23-05-2012, 08:17   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

My commute is a 78 mile round trip which is why my car will soon have 260,000 miles on it. Diesel for getting to/from work and my other driving about costs me somewhere between £3500 - £4000 a year but I try not to think about it. If I had a local job I would save that money but I would still be worse off so I spend an hour and a half listening to the radio driving each day.

Before this job I was in Preston and before that Burnley.

(You can't moan at me about the picture Kate, I was stopped this time )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120518_164217.jpg (272.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Neil; 23-05-2012 at 08:20.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:31   #12
Beacon of light

I can remember when I was growing up, the throngs of people who walked along the 'factory bottom' in Accrington.......there were folk from Highams Mill, Warburtons, Giron Freres and then there were the Howard and Bulloughs lot....you could get killed in the crush.
We exported a lot of these jobs.......I don't know if the government of the time really realised what this would mean....cheap imports of cotton goods coming firstly from Portugal, and latterly from India.

I don't suppose we will ever see the like again.
During my working life I had six jobs...well five jobs(where I worked purely for the money) and 1 career. My career lasted 28(almost 29) years.
The only time I was out of work and drawing dole, was during the time when there were power cuts and we were laid off.

I really do despair for the children growing up. Their prospects look very bleak.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:55   #13
Resting In Peace

I remember the Mastabar Belt Works, used to wait for the Manchester bus outside their building on Melbourne street. That became Karrimor which also closed many years ago.

It would be interesting to know how many Accyweb members run small, or nor so small businesses, and how many people they employ.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:59   #14
Resting in Peace

The reason shopfitters went is they out grew the market, Shopfitters were geared up to the ordinary corner shop, when they sold out to London firm Church the bottom was dropping out of the market, Church were more interested into doing the multi nationals M&S Debenhams etc.they then moved the whole operation south
Old 23-05-2012, 09:16   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I remember the Mastabar Belt Works, used to wait for the Manchester bus outside their building on Melbourne street. That became Karrimor which also closed many years ago.

It would be interesting to know how many Accyweb members run small, or nor so small businesses, and how many people they employ.
The bakers shop my grandfather worked at since 1929, and bought in 1945, in now my brother's, and employs about ten people. A mix of full, and part-time workers.

It's totally changed, even since I worked there on Saturdays, as a teenager.

It's mainly lunch time trade now.

I think they close at 2 pm, when in the past it used to be six.

Instead of people walking to the shops, pushing prams, carring shopping bags etc, most park, get what they want from a particular place, then drive off again.

My brother's keen his children don't take over, and they don't want to. So all though it's only a small business, it looks like this third generation to provide Ossy with pies, custards, and tea cakes, will be the last.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..