Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2023, 23:45   #61

Re: Where have the blogs gone

To read that you are leaving is extremely disappointing, Less. It’s like don’t do what I do, do as I say, telling people they should contribute to keep the forum going but not intending to do so yourself..

I also think some of your comments are disrespectful to contributors to the forum when you imply that what they write is of little consequence and dull as against the stimulating company you find elsewhere, I suppose over a pint at the local. (Probably a waste of time writing this because is he has left the building then Less won’t read it). Still it’s everyone’s prerogative to stay or go, and so be it. I will point out that I personally am able to mix with stimulating people on the outside and I can still add my bit to the forum when I’m home. Doesn’t have to be one thing or the other with me. It’s not hard to do.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2023, 08:42   #62
Beacon of light

I am not sure that Less means he is leaving, as such, but just that the forum plays a very minor part in his life.

I also agree that you can have a life of stimulating conversation outside the forum and also participate in a good discussion here on Accyweb.

Well, that is if people continue to post…if they do not then it will become Accystanleyweb.
And that would be a bit of a shame.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 13:38   #63
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Nope not leaving, just taking a rest from all the lack of AccyWeb posts being blamed on Accy Stanleys doorstep whether intentional or none intentional!

Here's something to mull over, next month (March) will be AccyWebs 20th anniversary and not long after that will be the 20th anniversary of the Stanley forum being proudly welcomed into the AccyWeb fold.
To celebrate lets have a month of no moaning about our long term internet partners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
To read that you are leaving is extremely disappointing, Less. It’s like don’t do what I do, do as I say, telling people they should contribute to keep the forum going but not intending to do so yourself..
I haven't told anyone what to do only put forward suggestions and observations just like you!
dotti34 and taddy like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 15:44   #64

Dotti don't let it bother you, "some people are (sad), Whilst others are classed as (sad people)
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 16:18   #65
Beacon of light

Less, I do not think anyone was moaning…well, not as such….and if it was moaning, well like having an opinion, it is allowed.
When a Briton stops moaning about things (in general) it means they are dead.
Old 21-02-2023, 17:17   #66
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, I do not think anyone was moaning…well, not as such….and if it was moaning, well like having an opinion, it is allowed.
When a Briton stops moaning about things (in general) it means they are dead.
The thing is, the Stanley site has almost always been part of AccyWeb, I must be about the last of the posters that joined before it was part of the site, everyone else joined knowing it was there so they should be prepared to accept it as part and parcel.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 18:02   #67

That is a great achievement, Less, that the forum has been going for so long, and congratulations to Roy and all the contributors over the years who have made it happen. It’s also a good suggestion about a month of no ‘moaning’ as you put it though ‘comparing’ is a more appropriate word, but how about making it also month of aiming for a number of new threads and posts in BOTH the Stanley section and the general one, to help revitalise the site. By the way, by saying this I am not telling people what to do, but just like you I am only suggesting.

I still think it is disappointing that you are taking a break. In my opinion this is non-productive - you might not agree, but this is a forum where we can agree to disagree and where I am allowed to voice my opinion. No hard feelings.
taddy likes this.
Old 21-02-2023, 18:05   #68

Taddy don’t fret on my behalf, it’s like water off this old duck’s back, and I enjoy every bit of it. It helos to keep the old brain cells ticking.
taddy likes this.

Last edited by dotti34; 21-02-2023 at 18:10.
Old 21-02-2023, 20:19   #69
Beacon of light

Less, no one is trying to denigrate the Stanley part of the forum.
As far as I can see, no one is saying that they do not accept the Stanley part of the forum.

What is being said is that for some of us(that includes me) it holds no interest.
So participation is out of the question for me.
If I had some grasp of the game then I would feel ‘included’….but I don’t…..so the feeling is one of being excluded. You will tell me that this my problem, not a problem for the forum.

I have been a poster on here for almost 19 years, I have (I think) posted sensibly on lots of topics and I have enjoyed being able to participate.
So coming to the forum and being unable to participate in the threads that are current leaves me feeling ‘homeless’…but again, not your problem is it?

We (a few of us) try to post stuff that might get some responses, but these threads and posts sink without a trace very quickly.
It isn’t that we are not trying….we are, but it makes no difference.
Anyway it is what it is.
taddy likes this.
Old 22-02-2023, 07:54   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, no one is trying to denigrate the Stanley part of the forum.
As far as I can see, no one is saying that they do not accept the Stanley part of the forum.

What is being said is that for some of us(that includes me) it holds no interest.
So participation is out of the question for me.
If I had some grasp of the game then I would feel ‘included’….but I don’t…..so the feeling is one of being excluded. You will tell me that this my problem, not a problem for the forum.

I have been a poster on here for almost 19 years, I have (I think) posted sensibly on lots of topics and I have enjoyed being able to participate.
So coming to the forum and being unable to participate in the threads that are current leaves me feeling ‘homeless’…but again, not your problem is it?

We (a few of us) try to post stuff that might get some responses, but these threads and posts sink without a trace very quickly.
It isn’t that we are not trying….we are, but it makes no difference.
Anyway it is what it is.
Nice post Marge, "Eloquent" as always.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 13:28   #71
Beacon of light

Thank you Taddy. I try….I really do try.
Old 22-02-2023, 13:36   #72

Sadly the answer to most of this chat is our dwindling circle of friends and acquaintances.
Several of our colorful crew have shucked off their mortal coil leaving us to grumble among the remaining stalwarts.
I know we lost Susie with whom I once attended school, and Jaysay with whom I did not.
I miss Eric who vanished into the unknown years ago, anyone know if he is still upright?
I am certainly no major contributor but I try to chip in once in a while with something interesting or funny. (Especially funny)
I am often surprised at getting little or no response to some posts, and since I have had a few of them relocated by others I guessed that I blew it?
Can someone please 'splain the differences amongst "General Chat" "Anything Goes" "General Community Chat" etc. and recommend where to post for the widest audience?
You would think I knew after all these years?? WRONG!
By the way "All you kids Get Off My Lawn!"
Sincerely,
Joe
(More decrepit by the day)
Less likes this.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 13:41   #73
Beacon of light

I think Eric sadly passed.
I used to have good contact with him and every winter I know the critters will definitely miss Eric because he looked after the strays in his neighbourhood….and fed the raccoons when the winters were very hard.
I miss him.
Jaysay and Susie too are much missed and we must not forget Mick…what a grand chap he was….so yes we are a dwindling band, but many of the younger contributors migrated over to Hyndburn Chat on Facebook.
Membership of that was by invitation(not sure if it still is) I do not ‘do’ Facebook so I do not know.
Old 22-02-2023, 13:54   #74

I also do not do Facebook or Snapchat or Tik Tok and any other blithering "Social Sites".
Since I am in hiding from the NVA, the KGB, Stassi (oops did I say that out loud?)
I am not trolling for new friends or followers I am trying to remember the old ones and wonder if they are still ticking?
So my browsing and blathering are becoming fewer and further between and one day there I will be.... gone!
-Joe
Old 22-02-2023, 13:59   #75

As for accepting an invite to Hyndburn Chat I follow the dictum of Groucho Marx.
I would not join any club that would accept me as a member.
-Joe

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..