Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2006, 21:02   #1
God Member

who owns Pendle hill ?

Something I have allways wondered about , who owns Pendle hill, for the most part the higher areas are unfenced and I guess more than one farmer grazes his sheep up there (different colour codes/daubs of dye). I seem to remember all the area on the right side of the road going from cattle grid at the Sabden end towards the cattle grid at the Clitheroe end is wide open, just curious ........and I wonder what kind of tax the owner has to pay on such an acreage
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2006, 21:06   #2

Re: who owns Pendle hill ?

Is it not common land?
Old 21-11-2006, 21:06   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Something I have allways wondered about , who owns Pendle hill, for the most part the higher areas are unfenced and I guess more than one farmer grazes his sheep up there (different colour codes/daubs of dye). I seem to remember all the area on the right side of the road going from cattle grid at the Sabden end towards the cattle grid at the Clitheroe end is wide open, just curious ........and I wonder what kind of tax the owner has to pay on such an acreage

the witches?
Old 21-11-2006, 21:06   #4
Member.

I think it's the Dutcy of Lancashire, but I'm not sure. I have a land access map somewhere I think it say's on that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 21:15   #5

In my constituency, Pendle in the Pennines, we are surrounded by thousands of acres of open countryside that is out of bounds. To the west, the Duke of Westminster owns 26,000 acres of open countryside.
Does this help, I found it on the 'right to roam' bill of parliament.
Old 21-11-2006, 21:30   #6
God Member

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/S4/Section4

yep Casper , your correct , it shows up as common land on this Govt web-site

Last edited by steeljack; 21-11-2006 at 21:33.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 21:38   #7

Glad to help Steeljack. Mmmm now if only I could get one right on the WHAT IS IT? thread
Old 21-11-2006, 22:08   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
now if only I could get one right on the WHAT IS IT? thread
LOL! ....

Now that's been answered can I deviate the thread a little? Please it is still Pendle Hill related

When I was younger, I was told that if you knocked one of the farmers sheep over up there, you had to report it to the police and pay the farmer for the loss of his sheep, is that right?
Old 21-11-2006, 22:56   #9
Resting in peace

Anyone wants to buy it? I'll let it go cheap to a good home.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 23:02   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Anyone wants to buy it? I'll let it go cheap to a good home.
Well yeah I was thinking that too, I could see a proper money making scheme there, hit a few sheep then sell them on ...... need to know if it's going to get me chucked in the slammer though
Old 21-11-2006, 23:08   #11
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Well yeah I was thinking that too, I could see a proper money making scheme there, hit a few sheep then sell them on ...... need to know if it's going to get me chucked in the slammer though
I thougt I mighnt sell Pendle Hill to the Yank's they come on about now, don't wise em up ha ha.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 23:11   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I thougt I mighnt sell Pendle Hill to the Yank's they come on about now, don't wise em up ha ha.
As long as it's a 50/50 split I'll keep stum
Old 21-11-2006, 23:16   #13
God Member

pay tax? are you sure.. farmers pay no tax.. anyways its left alone in the winter.. until the spring... when you lot build the "wickerman" (sssshs quite now) or you get a bad harvest.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 03:07   #14
I am Banned

if its common land then ime afraid it belongs to me..

none more common than me
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 03:18   #15
God Member

you people can be scary sometimes.. winter is closing in.. the crops failed.. someone must pay.. the old lady who lives on her own? there has to be a sacrifice or the crops may fail again.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..