Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2008, 15:44   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Who'll Be Next To Go, after Woolworths?

You were buying all the knock down price knickers werent you dave? x

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2008, 15:45   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskitty View Post
You were buying all the knock down price knickers werent you dave? x

errrmmm I was waiting for the knickers to come down but thats a different story
Old 28-11-2008, 15:46   #18
Senior Member+

Awww, missed that one!!
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 15:59   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
errrmmm I was waiting for the knickers to come down but thats a different story

ROFL!!!

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 23:00   #20
Senior Member+

MK 1 shut wed, I am suprised and a little appalled at the flippant attitude some people have to these closures, I have twice been made redundant by companies that went into administration , once with Our Price and then with Music Zone, both times it was Dec/Jan and it's no fun ! I really feel for the employees of MK 1 and Woolies, you have to keep turning in and doing what you can,you don't get paid otherwise , it's soul destroying and very upsetting.
Old 28-11-2008, 23:10   #21
Give, give, give member

Good point.

It's not just a lack of choice for the shoppers in Accrington.

People's livelihoods are being taken away. They are losing their jobs, and many will have families to look after, and all just before Christmas.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53   #22

Im having trouble to understand the first coment stating that pound shops and charity shops are ok for the town!!its the last thing we want or need- these places just drag a town down and make people not want to shop in a town. The town requires new investment of quality retailers, the council should be out searching for investment instead of promoting the new proposals for tesco. The question is what type of shops small independant or major retailers? And please no more mobile phone shops, as with Vodafone coming to the townthat makes a full house.

As for currys i feel the need is to move back into the local high street to enable assibility for all members ofa comunity and not just those with cars.
santajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59   #23
God Member

Another one bites the dust
Wedgwood pottery, Royal Doulton and Waterford crystal.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:11   #24
God Member

one of the women and her daughter from the Accy woolies has just been on GMTV, poor love, they close tomorrow
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Another one bites the dust
Wedgwood pottery, Royal Doulton and Waterford crystal.

Thats suprised me, theyve been going that long you would have thought that they woul have been safe.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by santajojo View Post
Im having trouble to understand the first coment stating that pound shops and charity shops are ok for the town!!its the last thing we want or need- these places just drag a town down and make people not want to shop in a town. The town requires new investment of quality retailers, the council should be out searching for investment instead of promoting the new proposals for tesco. The question is what type of shops small independant or major retailers? And please no more mobile phone shops, as with Vodafone coming to the townthat makes a full house.

As for currys i feel the need is to move back into the local high street to enable assibility for all members ofa comunity and not just those with cars.
Well write to Currys and tell um, I sure they'll bow to your superior marketing knowledge
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santajojo View Post

I'm sure H.B.C.'s decision to allow a large town centre Tesco will be the final nail in the coffin for many small traders in Accrington, who are already struggling under the present financial climate.

Still, at least the council will be able to buy some more flower towers with the bribe...oops.... £1 million pound gift that Tesco gave them, to ensure the ghost town at least looks pretty as the tumble-weed blows past the empty shops.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:53   #28
Senior Member+

the thing is though who wants to shop in accrington! there is nothing in accrington that is worth going down for! you cant spend 4/5hours looking round shops like you can do in manchester/preston! retailers are not going to put one of there shops in accrington if they are going to lose profit! i dont like going into accrington centre id rather drive to blackburn where its much cleaner and nicer! buti do think the tesco is a good idea as it will create more jobs

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 13:41   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
i dont like going into accrington centre id rather drive to blackburn where its much cleaner and nicer!

Surely you are extracting the michael......................? we went the other week and we vowed never to go back....what a dump...and just because there are more shops, does`nt mean they are any good.....oh and no free parking.....online, manchester or nowt for us.......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 14:13   #30
Resting in Peace

It was like a ghost town today in Accy: really sad to see Woolworths.... wonder what it will be like in a few weeks....

You never know, the credit crunch may drive people back to the market.... ( just a thought)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..