Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 21:29   #1
God Member

Why did this man have a legally owned gun?

It's the same old gripe.. why was this man able to legally own firearms?
Mark Saunders to police: ‘I can’t hear you’ | Metro.co.uk..
This bloke was a respected barrister and it seems under the present gun laws was entitled to own firearms.. but why? the bloke ended up dead without firing a shot but why should he have a gun in the first place?
There was another well respected man in Dublane a few years ago who shot 13 children with legally owned firearms..I've never heard a reasonable excuse yet for people owning guns and keeping them in thier homes..I'd say all guns should be outlawed and stiff sentences for anyone found with firearms..then there would be no excuses .

Last edited by Mancie; 07-10-2010 at 21:32.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2010, 21:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Why did this man have a legally owned gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
This bloke was a respected barrister and it seems under the present gun laws was entitled to own firearms.. but why? the bloke ended up dead without firing a shot but why should he have a gun in the first place?
There was another well respected man in Dublane a few years ago who shot 13 children with legally owned firearms..I've never heard a reasonable excuse yet for people owning guns and keeping them in thier homes..I'd say all guns should be outlawed and stiff sentences for anyone found with firearms..then there would be no excuses .
Thats two examples of gun crime with legally held guns but the vast majority of gun crime is carried out with illegal guns.Its like saying when a dog kills or maims someone which seems to have happened a lot recently people should not have dogs.Many people enjoy shooting in various forms and are very responsible gun owners.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:00   #3

They should be made to keep the guns in the gun clubs and not take them home.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:01   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
They should be made to keep the guns in the gun clubs and not take them home.
Why?
Old 07-10-2010, 22:03   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Thats two examples of gun crime with legally held guns but the vast majority of gun crime is carried out with illegal guns.Its like saying when a dog kills or maims someone which seems to have happened a lot recently people should not have dogs.Many people enjoy shooting in various forms and are very responsible gun owners.
There are many more examples of people with legally owned guns using them and killing people.. of course there will always be crimes and killings with illegal guns and there are laws in place that try to deal with this.. but that is not a good reason to allow some people to own firearms.
Old 07-10-2010, 22:09   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
There are many more examples of people with legally owned guns using them and killing people.. of course there will always be crimes and killings with illegal guns and there are laws in place that try to deal with this.. but that is not a good reason to allow some people to own firearms.
More people are killed every year by cars driven by respectable people than are shot to death should we ban cars as well? The gun laws may need some reform but it still goes without saying that 99.999% of gun owners will not and have not carried out any illegal activities with their guns.
Old 07-10-2010, 22:23   #7

The people who kill with legally owned guns tend to go off their rockers and become spree killers, unless i'm mistaken everyone of them has had their guns at home. If the guns were kept in the gun clubs then it's much strickter, The guns are signed in and out therefore harder for them to flip and lay their hands on a gun.
There is nothing inherantly wrong with target shooting. Same as archery it's a sport. I have a freind who used to do pistol shooting and the rigmarole he had to go through, the gun locker in your house is armour plated to make sure no one can steal them, but at the end of the day he has a key, so if he wakes up in a bad mood or his mrs has annoyed him. take key open locker and away you go. If kept secure in clubs you can't do that.

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2010 at 07:05. Reason: *'s
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:29   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
More people are killed every year by cars driven by respectable people than are shot to death should we ban cars as well? The gun laws may need some reform but it still goes without saying that 99.999% of gun owners will not and have not carried out any illegal activities with their guns.
And how many times have you heard of people causing intented mass murder with a car?.. get a grip and put up a more sensible argument against banning guns.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
And how many times have you heard of people causing intented mass murder with a car?.. get a grip and put up a more sensible argument against banning guns.
Obviously they did not need to because they had a gun. If not maybe they would have used a kitchen knife and stabbed the whole family to death, quick ban kitchens knifes and pass a law that all veg has to be bought pre cut up ready to cook, that will make more money for Asda.

Its very easy to kill someone if you want to, banning guns will not stop it. The Government banned hand guns (well most of them) and shooting deaths have increased since then. What a waste of millions of pounds that was.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02   #10
Resting in Peace

As usual Mancie using asledge hammer to crack a nut
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
I take issue with that statement
"There was another well respected man in Dublane a few years ago who shot 13 children with legally owned firearms".
He was NOT well respected, all the gun clubs in the area refused him membership, he had no credibility with any of the youth organisations in the area, he had no legal grounds to retain ownership of the firearms, yet his firearm certificate was renewed.
He also drove past other schools just to get to the one in Dumblane.
He knew exactly what he was doing and what the consequences would be.
What about the idiot who did near the same thing with petrol,
do we ban petrol.
You cannot uninvent the gun, guns don't kill people, People kill People with any thing they can get their hands on.
Your another of the Media brain washed set, who become paranoid at the mention of a gun, If you've got a brain use it.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-10-2010 at 11:45.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 17:47   #12
God Member

I'm with Phil the Greek on this.

"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 18:03   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
.Its just as sensible as a kneejerk reaction to the issue of gun ownership you have put foward. In that the actions of a few affect the many who are careful and responsible in their gun ownership, it is as another person has said its not the guns that kill its people .So if they are intent on doing others harm they will find some way to do it.And what about drink drivers do they not know the possible outcome when they get behind the wheel drunk.I think they do but the disregard the safety of others by doing it all the same,in 2009 there were 11,990 deaths or serious injuries in the uk as a direct result of drink driving.

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2010 at 22:26.
Old 08-10-2010, 18:09   #14
JCB

Quote:
Sarah Palin , the American Tea Party lady , wouldn't agree with you .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 18:13   #15
God Member

I've been away a long time, but I get the impression that hunting is not all that big in the UK ... so, it would seem that there is no real need for guns over there, except in rural areas where farmers may need them to kill pests and predators which threaten their livestock.

In many parts of Canada, Duck hunting season is not far away, and deer and moose hunting season is not far behind. And this is legal hunting, with bag limits, requiring legal hunting permits, and carrying severe penalties for breaking the rules ... I remember that when I was living in Saskatchewan, some people had their firearms and their vehicles confiscated by the authorities.

The only places over here that guns regularly cause problems are in the major cities, particularly the GTA, Montreal, and Vancouver. So, I would agree that in urban areas with high population density, guns are not necessary and should be strictly controlled. And it seems as if that in the UK with its high population density .... what is it now, around 1000 per sq. km? .... guns should be rigorously controlled.

It's time to go oil up my shotgun

And by the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..