Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2008, 10:57   #1
Give, give, give member

Will Greg Pope remain a rebel?

I know Entwisi's just asked the question in another thread, but I think this question deserves it's own thread.

As Greg Pope has been revealed to be one of the thirty nine rebel MPs who are opposed to the abolition of the 10p starting rate of income tax, will he and others remain as rebels, or will they, and he, cave in to pressure from the party?

Considering that traditionally Hyndburn is a low pay constituency for many, and that some of the lowest paid people will be worse off, I personally really hopes he stands his ground, and fights for the people he represents.

Who are the 39 rebel Labour MPs? | Politics | guardian.co.uk

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2008, 11:15   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Will Greg Pope remain a rebel?

i would certainly like to think so,but the cynical side of me says- no-way hose.
Old 22-04-2008, 11:16   #3
God Member

I too hope he stands his ground. The people seeing 100% tax rises are the very people who should be praised not punished because they're doing a job, even when it doesn't pay that well, rather than living off the state!
Old 22-04-2008, 11:40   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i would certainly like to think so,but the cynical side of me says- no-way hose.
In which case would this be enough reason to NOT vote for him or is it a minor annoyance>?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 11:43   #5
Senior Member+

I think (well hope anyway) that he would stand his ground on this one. If he disagrees with anything then surely he has the right to say this and I would hope that he wouldnat back down under pressure and become a sheep like oso many of them are
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 11:45   #6
Beacon of light

I hope they all stand their ground. I am one of the unfortunate many who has seen their tax bill go up as a result of this......and I claim for nothing.
I don't WANT to have to claim to get my money back.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 12:02   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
In which case would this be enough reason to NOT vote for him or is it a minor annoyance>?
that question should be directed at the voters i think ian.
Old 22-04-2008, 12:15   #8
God Member

I think that many will stand by their principles, because they know that Brown is on his way out, so they having nothing to gain personally by supporting him.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 13:14   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
You could say that if the 10p tax rate is lost that he proved himself useless to his voters.

I hope he stands his ground and wins.
Old 22-04-2008, 13:44   #10
God Member

Hang on in there Greg............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 15:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know Entwisi's just asked the question in another thread, but I think this question deserves it's own thread.

As Greg Pope has been revealed to be one of the thirty nine rebel MPs who are opposed to the abolition of the 10p starting rate of income tax, will he and others remain as rebels, or will they, and he, cave in to pressure from the party?

Considering that traditionally Hyndburn is a low pay constituency for many, and that some of the lowest paid people will be worse off, I personally really hopes he stands his ground, and fights for the people he represents.

Who are the 39 rebel Labour MPs? | Politics | guardian.co.uk

I should like to think so but I wouldn't be surprised if he says one thing and does another after the Post Office fiasco.

Why did he pose for photographs in the paper, protesting about P.O. closures and then in parliament he voted for the closures?

That question was never answered and I doubt him very much after that, I'm afraid.
Old 22-04-2008, 15:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I hope they all stand their ground. I am one of the unfortunate many who has seen their tax bill go up as a result of this......and I claim for nothing.
I don't WANT to have to claim to get my money back.
It is disgraceful that you may have to claim YOUR money back. Maybe they are hoping people won't bother therefore leaving more pennies in their pockets so to speak. Nothing would surprise me anymore!!
Old 22-04-2008, 16:13   #13
Resting in Peace

I don't usually take much notice on how MPs vote, well not now anyway, but I can't really ever remember Greg voting against the Government, I maybe wrong, but I do hope that he is not fobbed off with meaningless promises from Brown and Darling, but only time will tell
Old 22-04-2008, 17:34   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I should like to think so but I wouldn't be surprised if he says one thing and does another after the Post Office fiasco.

Why did he pose for photographs in the paper, protesting about P.O. closures and then in parliament he voted for the closures?

That question was never answered and I doubt him very much after that, I'm afraid.
He didn't vote for the closures - that's just Tory spin. What actually happened was that the Conservatives put in a motion that they claimed would save the post offices, but Greg did not believe that it was feasible so voted against it. It was then claimed that he voted for the closures when in fact hasn't.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 17:46   #15
Senior Member+

I read somewhere that the labour whip boy greg pope quickly stood down after...
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..