Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2008, 09:18   #1
God Member

Willows Lane Roadworks

Just a heads up if you use the bottom of Willows Lane or go along Balckburn Rd that way. Roadworks have started today. According to the signs dotted around, the bottom of Willows Lane and Scaitcliffe St are closed, as is Oxford St except to access.

The diversions are also choking up the junction at the bottom of Eagle St/Blackburn Rd.

I noticed the sign yesterday that they were due to start and from memory I think it's going to be mid November by the time they finish ( allow for senility here )
Old 15-10-2008, 09:56   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Willows Lane Roadworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Just a heads up if you use the bottom of Willows Lane or go along Balckburn Rd that way. Roadworks have started today. According to the signs dotted around, the bottom of Willows Lane and Scaitcliffe St are closed, as is Oxford St except to access.

The diversions are also choking up the junction at the bottom of Eagle St/Blackburn Rd.

I noticed the sign yesterday that they were due to start and from memory I think it's going to be mid November by the time they finish ( allow for senility here )
In other words dave, give the area a wide birth
Old 15-10-2008, 21:10   #3
Resting in Peace

Yep cashy Steiner street and a lot of the side streets are blocked off as well
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i know, got stuck in it this morning, but after 04-00 thurs morning, i dont really give a toss fer next fortnight.
Old 15-10-2008, 22:16   #5
Resident Waffler

Good job Brown Street is now open again!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 06:58   #6
God Member

I may have missed something, but I dont recall seeing any signs pre-warning us about this, and yesterday afternoon, there were no diversion signs, each road also allows you to get right up to it before you find out that it is closed, this is annoying, if you know beforehand, you can avoid it, rather than get caught up in the traffic caused by drivers having a 'blank' moment trying to figure a way round the works.
Old 16-10-2008, 07:25   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I can't understand why the top of Oxford Street is closed. I turned up there coming from homebase way last night. You only see it is closed at the top when you get there. All the cars were taking a left at the top and appearing on Blackburn Road at the next junction.

A bit stupid really. Can only think it is so they can turn off the lights to keep traffic flowing.

What are they doing anyway?
Old 16-10-2008, 07:47   #8
God Member

Is resurfacing work I think Neil.
Old 16-10-2008, 07:55   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I may have missed something, but I dont recall seeing any signs pre-warning us about this,
There was a sign on the lamp post before the bridge ( going down Willows Lane ) to say roadworks would be on starting 15th October. It didn't mention road closure though, unless it was in the small print
Old 16-10-2008, 08:00   #10

right, hang on, may be alittle too early for me here, but for me to get up willows lane from town or asda (my god, what an exciting life i lead!) how would i do it?

lol sorry, brain dead
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 08:01   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
right, hang on, may be alittle too early for me here, but for me to get up willows lane from town or asda (my god, what an exciting life i lead!) how would i do it?

lol sorry, brain dead

From asda you are better off going back to the roundabout under the viaduct and coming back up Eagle St way.
Old 16-11-2008, 08:26   #12
God Member

I noticed last night on my way from work, the 'T' junction at Oxford street and Blackburn road, (part of the resurfacing) has already got four holes in it, the top surface has completely gone where you turn from Blackburn rd onto Oxford street, any motorbikes going around that corner are likely to slide on the gravel remnants that are all over the junction.
Old 16-11-2008, 08:45   #13
Resting in Peace

There was a bit in one of the papers over this Derek they might have to rip it all up and start again as they have used the wrong stuff
Here is a link to the story in the paper

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...gton_junction/

Last edited by Mick; 16-11-2008 at 08:48.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 08:55   #14
God Member

Thanks Mick, I thought, being 'proffessionals' that SOMEbody would have ordered the correct stuff! Oh well, another 2 weeks hold ups coming up!
Old 18-11-2008, 12:18   #15
Senior Member+

i work for a traffic managemnet firm and beleive me the signs would have been up notifying drivers etc, all you have to do is open your eyes and read instead of blaming everybody else....

and as for road closures etc read this

Road Safety UK - Road Traffic Training and Consultancy

the safety at street works and road works (code of practice) part

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!

Last edited by BLACKBURN RAVER; 18-11-2008 at 12:20. Reason: typo
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..