Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Woman loses final embryo appeal

Why couldn't he simply have been classed the same way as a sperm donor though? They don't have any legal obligations do they? After all that's basically all he was once the relationship is over. What would happen I wonder if a sperm donor changed his mind after his sperm had been used? Would he have the right to insist on the embryo being destroyed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
it would be a right kick in the teeth if this man went on to have children later on, well I hope he cant, then he will feel what this woman is feeling right now!!
It will be doubly heart breaking for her if she later hears that he has fathered other children. I almost feel like saying the same thing but two wrongs don't make a right and some other woman would lose out too.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 11-04-2007 at 11:57.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2007, 11:55   #17
I am Banned

Dont sperm donos get paid for their deposits tho
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:57   #18
Resident Waffler

Do they? I didn't know that - well maybe he could have been paid for his donation too then.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:59   #19
I am Banned

I persume they do get a bit for their bit hehehehe also would presume they would also have to sign a disclaimer or contract
Old 11-04-2007, 12:08   #20
Resident Waffler

You mean just like this guy did when his sperm was used to fertilise his girlfriends eggs? Lettie says people can withdraw consent at any time so I was just wondering how it applies to sperm donors if they have a sudden change of heart, especially since it's been mentioned now about children born this way being given a chance to trace the biological father for medical reasons etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:14   #21
I am Banned

Ooh i wouldnt be sure i was mearely guessing im sure Lettie will have an idea
Old 11-04-2007, 12:19   #22
Resident Waffler

It could get very complicated couldn't it?

I wonder what would have happened if he'd agreed to her having the embryo implanted and then a month or so later had second thoughts. Could he have insisted on an abortion?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:21   #23
I am Banned

LOL Willow, it sure is, but if it were implanted then i presume it would of been too late & the choice be the womans then as normal
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Dont sperm donos get paid for their deposits tho

yes they do £25 a throw

if you ever buy the big issue they are always advertising for them in there

as for her being doubly heart broken if he goes on to have kids...thats a loada rubbish, he would be in a different relationship and may want them from that one, no one knows what this relationship was like, she may of been violent towards him, she may of slept round whilst she was with him, see people speculate on these things without actually knowing the TRUE facts, its ok for us to feel sorry for her and everything and give the bloke a hard time but we dont know everything about there relationship....get the facts before you judge
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23   #25
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I sincerely believe that fertility treatments, donor eggs, donor sperm, frozen embryos etc. have opened up a whole wriggling can of ethical worms which will have legal minds wrangling for generations to come. One of the problems these type of treatments throw up is that of consanguinous relationships (relationships where the couple are related).

We all know that it is legal to marry your first cousins here in the UK, it is not something that most of us would choose to do but it is certainly legal and perfectly acceptable especially within the Asian community.

What we are starting to see now is people getting involved in relationships then finding out that they are half brother and sister. They usually discover this after having an abnormal baby, late miscarriage or stillbirth where genetic testing of both parents is routinely offered... I kid you not, I am not making this up.

Can you imagine the trauma of finding out that you have married your brother/sister, just because one of you was conceived naturally and the other was by donor sperm/egg to a completely different woman.

This type of dilemma is one which fertility treatment throws up. In trying to help childless couples, science has thrown up a whole new set of problems. Infertility can cause profound psychological problems for some people but we are seeing more and more of these type of cases where there are relationships between people who do not know that they are related....

I'm sure that I heard through work that sperm donors in this country have decreased since their details could be given to their unknown children for medical reasons.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27   #26
I am Banned

Ah gawd Lettie sounds scary but can see the complications, a lot more complicated than we 1st thought
Old 11-04-2007, 12:28   #27
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post

What we are starting to see now is people getting involved in relationships then finding out that they are half brother and sister.

This is something that has occurred to me a few times.

Old 11-04-2007, 15:13   #28
Beacon of light

Me too, in fact I started to write a short story about a couple who married not knowing that they were in fact brother and sister....and only found out when they were investigated for fertility problems. Scary!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 15:21   #29
God Member

I feel sorry for the guy! He's really been made to look like a bad barsteward in all of this hasn't he!

There is no way you should be able to force a person into parenthood if that is not their wish. The implications for this guy, and the child in later years would have been enormous if the court had ruled in her favour.

Imagine when the child becomes curious about its origins and having to explain that the child they can't approach their biological father.

No I really think the court was correct to rule against her, as has been said there is adoption if her wish to be a parent is so strong. The relationship ended let him get on with his life and she should move on with hers and look for alternatives.
Old 11-04-2007, 16:40   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I feel sorry for the guy! He's really been made to look like a bad barsteward in all of this hasn't he!

There is no way you should be able to force a person into parenthood if that is not their wish. The implications for this guy, and the child in later years would have been enormous if the court had ruled in her favour.

Imagine when the child becomes curious about its origins and having to explain that the child they can't approach their biological father.

No I really think the court was correct to rule against her, as has been said there is adoption if her wish to be a parent is so strong. The relationship ended let him get on with his life and she should move on with hers and look for alternatives.

your saying exactly the same thing as i said earlier....i'm glad its not just me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..