Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 19:52   #1
JFT96

Wonga.com

Fancy borrowing £0.00 for 30 days? It will cost you £7.13!

https://www.wonga.com/OnePageApp/BillPayment.aspx

To be honest I find it rather farcical these sods can get away with that.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2012, 21:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Wonga.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
To be honest I find it rather farcical these sods can get away with that.
Do we know what wonga.com's recovery methods are? Do they send the boys round to look after your kneecaps? Because they are trading in the same market place as people who would do precisely that.....
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:02   #3

If their adverts are anything to go off they'll send round a group of OAP muppets, so don't worry they can be paid off with a couple of Werthers Originals and a Vera Lynn CD.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:05   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yer barmy B.G. i'm gonna borrow sod all fer 14 Days n it will only cost me £6-26.
Old 13-01-2012, 06:22   #5
JFT96

Cashy, now that is a good deal!
I just think it is terrible the way these 'knee break if you don't pay' type finance companies have suddenly shot up. It's a sad state of affairs that we allow then to trade, I would mention it to my MP but....

Old 13-01-2012, 07:29   #6
Senior Member+

There are loads of these adverts on now and I think its disgusting.

Alot of people out there are desperate for money at the minute and think that this is a good way out for paying a (gas or leccy) bill to stop them getting cut off but all they are doing is getting themselves into a hell of a lot of debt when they cant pay it back on time.

When you are desparate and have no-where else to turn people will use companies like this as at the time its the only way out.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:20   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Do we know what wonga.com's recovery methods are? Do they send the boys round to look after your kneecaps? Because they are trading in the same market place as people who would do precisely that.....
There was an item on the news last week gynn about somebody who borrowed £400 from one of these firms, she was unable to pay it back within the time limit her bill now stands at £4000, the apr on these loans is, in some cases over 2 thousand percent, does make you wonder how they get away with it
Old 13-01-2012, 09:37   #8

Its sites like this that gets unfortunate people who are struggling in money into even more trouble.
Ouber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:25   #9
Senior Member+

The other cowboys to look out for are Logbook Loans who lend money secured against your car. They charge exorbitant rates of interest, and the form you sign is not a credit agreement as you think, but a sales agreement passing ownership of the car over to the loan company. They only enforce it if you don't keep up the payments.

I know someone whose son took out a loan on his dad's car, and the first dad knew about it was when he woke up one morning to find his car being repossessed.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 16:58   #10
JFT96

One of those Log book loan companies have been closed down.
The government is looking at outlawing them.
This should have been done a long time ago.
Maybe Graham could mention it in the house?
I am not being political about this, I feel it is simply wrong these firms can prey on those who can leas afford it.

Old 13-01-2012, 18:40   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
One of those Log book loan companies have been closed down.
The government is looking at outlawing them.
This should have been done a long time ago.
Maybe Graham could mention it in the house?
I am not being political about this, I feel it is simply wrong these firms can prey on those who can leas afford it.
This has nothing to do with a dying breed of dog so I'm afraid his immediate response would probably be similar to this:-

"I am all for the outlawing of such companies and would vigorously pursue justice against them, unfortunately, 95% of the people that had their cars repossesed just aren't bothered."
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..