Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2006, 11:32   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Words fail me.

This government really has gone too far this time.

A news item this morning revealed that this government would no longer compensate anyone who has been wrongly convicted and sent to prison. Instead the money saved will go to the victims of crime. Excuse me but isn’t the wrongly convicted person a victim too?

Forum etiquette prevents me from expressing my true feelings on this matter – just imagine the worst then double it.
Old 19-04-2006, 11:42   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Words fail me.

What news programme did you hear it on?

I can't find any details about it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 11:58   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
A news item this morning revealed that this government would no longer compensate anyone who has been wrongly convicted and sent to prison. Instead the money saved will go to the victims of crime. Excuse me but isn’t the wrongly convicted person a victim too?
The news item I heard didn't say the government would no longer compensate victims of miscarriages of justice. What it did say was the amount of compensation would be reduced and the money saved would be directed toward compensating victims of crime.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 12:05   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Words fail me.

It seems that the news wasn’t quite correct. Now the word is that compensation will be capped at £500,000 for people wrongly convicted. Not quite as bad but still terrible.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:09   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It seems that the news wasn’t quite correct. Now the word is that compensation will be capped at £500,000 for people wrongly convicted. Not quite as bad but still terrible.

Moral of the story, never believe what you hear, or what you read until you have all the facts.

You could have done yourself a mischief getting all worked up unnecessarily.

Sounds like a good idea to me that victims of crime get more money.

Old 19-04-2006, 12:45   #6
God Member

Maybe if the gov got its act together concerning illeagal and immoral money and retrieved that then crime victims could get more money. How can you compensate someone who has spent 15-20 years behind bars when innocent? If it was based on an average salery then they are being short change due to a botched investigation.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 12:47   #7
God Member

JB are you feeling ok it aint like you to have incorrect info prior to a post. I will believe that the sock of what was suggested got to you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-04-2006, 12:50   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Red face Re: Words fail me.

What I heard in the first place was as I posted. It was the news item that wasn’t correct or rather didn’t give the full facts at that time. It seems to me that even the BBC Radio 2, which is normally reliable in reporting the news factually, cannot be relied upon to do so any more.

However a cap of a measly half a million quid is a fat load of use to someone wrongly banged up for a few years. The bit about giving victims greater access to compensation is to be applauded though.

This rob Peter to pay Paul attitude of this government is becoming more apparent with each passing day.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:57   #9
God Member

It is time victims got a better deal criminal elements have had it to easy for too long.

If Auntie cant get the news right what chance do we have?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-04-2006, 20:53   #10

I did see something along the lines you say.. these sort of posts have come in the past (mainly from members who seem to belive everything in the daily mail is carved in stone) but if true it is not on!.. persons who have been "proved" to be innocent and served jail should get full compensation! can we imagine the devastation? they are also victims
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 21:37   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller
...persons who have been "proved" to be innocent and served jail should get full compensation! can we imagine the devastation? they are also victims
What is full compensation though?

If someone is banged up for ten years, and then they are found to have been innocent, if the capped rate of compensation is half a million pounds that equates to £50,000 for every year they were incarcerated.

Is that a fair amount? It's probably near to what we are told is the national average annual salary. What amount would make you happy if it was you?

This is why I am against the death penalty. On this forum I was shot down by people saying miscarriages happen so infrequently, one or two innocent deaths don't really matter all that much.

Whatever monetary value you put on someone being wrongly locked up, at least they can be somehow compensated, not so if they are six feet under.

If more money could be found from this innitiative for the victims of crime, so much the better.

Old 19-04-2006, 22:33   #12
God Member

definately with you on the death penalty garinda... as for compensation, what price is the loss of one's privelages and freedom when innocent never mind loss of wages too!!!???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 08:33   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Words fail me.

It isn’t just loss of earnings whilst wrongfully in prison garinda. It’s the loss of freedom during that time. How can you quantify missing your kids growing up.
Old 20-04-2006, 10:53   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It isn’t just loss of earnings whilst wrongfully in prison garinda. It’s the loss of freedom during that time. How can you quantify missing your kids growing up.
I know that, I used that as a rather crass example.

I also asked what compensation someone receive if they have been wrongly banged up, say for ten years?

The thing is you can't really put a figure on someone's loss of freedom.

Old 20-04-2006, 11:28   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I know that, I used that as a rather crass example.

I also asked what compensation someone receive if they have been wrongly banged up, say for ten years?

The thing is you can't really put a figure on someone's loss of freedom.
There lies the crux. How can it be quantified unless bassed on some kind of sliding rule of payments.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..