Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2005, 22:05   #1

Work experience

i think this is really pathetic they've send my year on work experience at school and while we are doing it we have to go into school for an exam for about an hour then go i think they could of changed it and for working for two weeks and experiencing it we should also experience the money too i think that sounds fair

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2005, 22:13   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Work experience

We haven't quite got the correct attitude for this, have we...

Like all things in life - learn to live with it.

Alternatively, you could go with the flow and enjoy it!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 22:18   #3

no dont get me wrong i love workin with little kids but to say we may do more work then some of the staff we should experience the money to see what its going to be like for us when were older

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 00:26   #4
land of hope and glory

yoooh 3ft you get to much now,if you broke down what you get in a week,yer grandparents wouldnt have earned that in a month!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 01:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel3ft
no dont get me wrong i love workin with little kids but to say we may do more work then some of the staff we should experience the money to see what its going to be like for us when were older
Be careful what you say.! It could be mistaken for what others have said. Money? What was that? As an apprentice motor mechanic I was on a good wage of ( wait for it ) £7 a week.

O the good old days
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 05:04   #6
God Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of gainful employment! A place where, unlike school, you don't get anything for free!

When I left school at 15 and began my working life as an Apprentice Baker, £7.00 per week was the wage I received. The reason being that it was all I was worth at the time because I knew nothing. When I think of the cost of the amount of stuff I ruined because of my ignorance it makes me wonder that I was kept on. The training I was given and the experience I gained while working was worth far more than the wage I was paid and has eventually enabled me to set up my own business.

Think of the staff at Buckingham Palace. They are paid very low wages, and the Palace has a fairly high turnover of staff because, the Queen, being canny, realises that with two years of training at the Palace on their CV staff can go anywhere and then reap the considerable rewards of that two years investment of their time. If you were going to employ a butler, who would you choose; someone who learned the job at their local college or someone who trained at Buckingham Palace?

In short, the people who are taking you on are doing you a favour! It would seem a little churlish to complain.

Watch Listen and LEARN! A glowing recommendation from the company taking you on will stand you in far greater stead than a few quid which will soon be frittered away.

Ohh, and by the way, good luck! I hope you enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 28-06-2005 at 05:22.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:44   #7

Well Mel3ft my 7 yr old had a lad doing work experience in his class last week & for once he was quick to get ready for school as he didn't want to miss a moment of him being there. This lad made a real impression on my little 'un so if you do the same for the kids in your school is that not all the payment you need? Money is soon gone but lasting impressions never leave us. Enjoy it.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:44   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I hope you enjoy your work experience Mel. I never did work experience at school, but I wish I had. The people who had done work experience in my year appeared to just walk into jobs when they left. I had dozens of interviews before finding a job and as a school leaver the pay was pathetic, but it does improve as you become more experienced. If you are going to work with children the money will never be brilliant anyway, but it will be more than you get now.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:55   #9
God Member

I agree with most of teh other sentiments on here. Work experience is exactly that , a taster of what things are liek in the big bad world. Unfortunately that also means that occasionally things aren't fair. There are many times in my life where I have been paid less that people I worked for yet I did the majority of the work and tended to have far more knowledge of the job. Stick with it and your character will bring you to the top. You only need to be noticed once by a good manager and your career will blossom. Its up to you to make sure that one person doesn't see a whining lazy sod who thinks that life is against them. PMA, its the way forward.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 07:44   #10
Resident Waffler

Work experience is part of your education. It isn't like going out and getting a part time job (for which you would be paid). You won't be doing the employer a favour by being there as unpaid labour believe me. I've been on the other end of it and the weeks when we've had work experience people in have been far harder work for the rest of us because instead of just being able to get on with our own jobs we've had to spend time explaining to someone else what to do and then making sure they did it right.

You are lucky that you can have this hands on experience for free never mind get paid for it. In my experience it costs an employer to accept people for work experience so be grateful for the opportunity and consider it as part of your education.

As for going into school for the exam - why not?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 12:32   #11
Beacon of light

I left School in 1962 and went to work in an accounts office.......we worked 8:30 until 6pm with an hour for lunch.......I worked all day Saturday and got a half day off on a Wednesday......for this I was paid £4:50.

Enjoy your work experience, but remember whoever is giving you that work experience has to have someone to supervise you......and that may be extra to what they normally have to do. So it isn't all roses for the employer.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 12:34   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

left school 1963 my first wage paid £2-15-0 a week apprentice butcher,didn't have work experience in them days, also we had to work 2hrs overtime on fridays,for this we got fish@chips-no bloody money lol,i think we may have benifitted from work experiance,it coul;d possibly have given us an insight into real life! look a bit further than the money mel3ft life is all about learning,take it and get the best from it.good luck.
Old 28-06-2005, 13:00   #13

Well, i only left school in 2000 and i did work experience at St. Mary Magdalen's. Not once did I think about money, I just wanted to make an impression so that all the kiddies looked up to me. I've wanted to be a secondary school teacher since I was a little girl and the buzz you get out of the children looking up to you is better than any wage. I'm studying for my BA Honours degree now and that doesn't pay I can tell you. At the end of the day I get the experience I need to go on to do what I want later on in life and get PAID for it. As of now, I struggle along.

After being in your position, all I can say is grow up, learn to live with it and most of all, ENJOY IT otherwise it will be the slowest two weeks of your life.

If I had the time then I would help out in a school for free now or anytime, its wonderful
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 13:09   #14
I am Banned

when i did my work experience my boss gave me £50 a week cash in hand although i did work 9am - 4pm and he let me work saturday to make some extra cash

i think kids should be paid somthing if they work even if it is work experience to teach them the experience of getting paid for a honest days graft

if you dont pay somone for working all they will see it as is that they are been taken for mug
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 13:17   #15
Beacon of light

I don't really agree with that. In the normal course of events Mel would be in school and therefore would not be able to earn any money......it is part of her education.
If Mel wants to earn some pocket money.......then get a part time job, or do a paper round.....and at the end of the day her work experience will make her more attractive to prospective employers
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..