Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 17:56   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Xmas lights.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Instead of switching on the lights, why doesn't Accy stay dark this year? The money saved on the electricity bill could be sent to Mr Cameron to give to the IMF so they can give it to the Greeks to bail out their economy. That should also keep Mr Jones happy because he wants to bail out the Greeks as well. And if we're really clever, we don't need to stick up the crib and the money saved on that can go to bailing out the Italians.
Mary and Joseph are just biding their time.

Until Israel's finally admitted to the European Union.

So they can claim a full range of benefits from the U.K. taxpayer, for themselves, and the li'l Baby Jesus.

Bless 'em.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2011, 18:05   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Thanks G, lovely present! You are too clever by half...

The bar under the arches does the best ever iced coffee.

The giant violin was made of nougat -they claim nougat was invented here in the 1400's.

Looking at this which is my local town center I am at a loss to explain why I'm often homesick for Accy...

Well possibly because you grew up there - it would be interesting to know how you felt if you did come back to live. I've never lived in a non-English speaking country but I imagine every so often it would be nice to hear one's native tongue.

We went to Italy two years ago in our motor home, heading for Ravenna to see the mosaics then down to Ancona and back across to the west to Siena, Florence and Pisa. We did not visit Cremona but I have seen it on TV. Actually by the time we had finished with Umbria and Tuscany we were sick of hill towns, perhaps next time we will makefor a few places on the flat like Cremona in the Po valley!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 19:26   #18
God Member

[quote=susie123;945286]Well possibly because you grew up there - it would be interesting to know how you felt if you did come back to live. I've never lived in a non-English speaking country but I imagine every so often it would be nice to hear one's native tongue.

We went to Italy two years ago in our motor home, heading for Ravenna to see the mosaics then down to Ancona and back across to the west to Siena, Florence and Pisa. We did not visit Cremona but I have seen it on TV. Actually by the time we had finished with Umbria and Tuscany we were sick of hill towns, perhaps next time we will makefor a few places on the flat like Cremona in the Po valley![/quote
if you do come this way you would be welcome to stay -Cremona is a bit off the beaten track but well worth the effort of a visit...see G's video and photo...much better than mine.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 19:36   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ok, perhaps just a little stocking filler.

But there'll be no nuts in it now.

This is the square and "The Torazzo" just over 112metres in height and 502 steps to get up it -Europe's highest mediaeval tower, as seen from Via Solferino,- a lovely old shopping street where there is a viewpoint down 2 metres to the old Roman road...

Great cake shop and the oldest sweet shop in Cremona are on Via Solferino....

Wish you could all come to see it...

The cathedral is the best part -just over 900 yrs old -fab carvings in marble inside -not too religious and showing the local people and their occupations at the time....priceless. If you want to find me and I'm not at home -I'm usually looking at them, putting my futile problems to right, they are nothing compared to this time scale...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 05-11-2011, 20:04   #20
Bee
I am Banned

Thanks RindyRoo
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 20:16   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
if you do come this way you would be welcome to stay -Cremona is a bit off the beaten track but well worth the effort of a visit...see G's video and photo...much better than mine.
What a kind thought - we won't be coming that way for a while as we have other travel plans but we certainly intend to see a lot more ofEurope as soon as my other half retires in two years. All we need is somewhere to park up and a tap to fill up our water container. Pretty self sufficient otherwise.

I looked at the video, thought the music rather spoilt it though.

Thanks again

Sue

Last edited by Mick; 06-11-2011 at 06:07.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 20:19   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

I looked at the video, thought the music rather spoilt it though.

Thanks again

Sue
Agree Cremona looks great, the singer was crap.
Old 05-11-2011, 20:27   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This is the square and "The Torazzo" just over 112metres in height and 502 steps to get up it -Europe's highest mediaeval tower, as seen from Via Solferino,- a lovely old shopping street where there is a viewpoint down 2 metres to the old Roman road...

Great cake shop and the oldest sweet shop in Cremona are on Via Solferino....

Wish you could all come to see it...

The cathedral is the best part -just over 900 yrs old -fab carvings in marble inside -not too religious and showing the local people and their occupations at the time....priceless. If you want to find me and I'm not at home -I'm usually looking at them, putting my futile problems to right, they are nothing compared to this time scale...
Does 'sound' quiet nice.

Though perhaps a bit lacking on the heritage/cultural side of things.

I can understand why you enjoy coming back now.

Old 05-11-2011, 20:32   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Does 'sound' quiet nice.

Though perhaps a bit lacking on the heritage/cultural side of things.

I can understand why you enjoy coming back now.

What's really lacking are the Lanky folk and their sense of humour...

The hills are another thing missing and the green-ness which depends on the incessant rain...

And yes, I DO enjoy coming back...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ever the diplomat I see!

Actually our town hall is mediaeval and is lit by torch-light at Xmas - it and the whole of the Cathedral square have been submitted as a UNESCO heritage site...it's particularly beautiful during the Xmas period...
A bit like Accrington really mobertol, you have a medieval town hall, we now have a medieval council
Old 06-11-2011, 15:43   #26
God Member

Back on thread. Is the whole thing not a complete waste of money. It's now an annual event for out of town burger vans to make a killing and 1,000's of little chavs to run riot. Be interesting to know if the shops actually welcome it.
Old 06-11-2011, 15:46   #27
Senior Member+

The only thing I like about the switch on is the fireworks really.

They do a good job every year but I agree with you Dave money could be better spent.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 15:54   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
The only thing I like about the switch on is the fireworks really.

For what purpose though, and at what cost ?

As I say I'd be interested to know if the shopkeepers say it increases trade. To my knowledge the market hall doesn't open. We don't open on Peel St, tried it but nobody goes round there all the public stay on Broadway or the front of the Town Hall.

How much do those fireworks cost, anybody know ?
Old 06-11-2011, 15:57   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
1,000's of little chavs to run riot.
Is that another community art project?

A 'flash mob chav riot'?

Who's done the choreography for this one?

Old 06-11-2011, 17:06   #30
Senior Member+

[quote=lancsdave;945571]For what purpose though, and at what cost ?
[quote]

I just liked watching them thats all I were saying.

I dont know the cost of them and like I posted earlier I agree with you money could be better spent.
If other problems got solved with the money spent on the fireworks I wouldnt care less about watching them.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..