Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2007, 11:40   #1
I am Banned

You have wheely done it now....

Hearing on the news today about the boy who was hit by a car as he lost control of hie wheel trainers things. Sorry but if i was a parent i wouldnt even consider letting my child have them how bloody dangerous is that idea? Footwear to give you grip.... hey lets put wheels on them. anyway here is the story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6316079.stm
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2007, 11:45   #2
God Member

Re: You have wheely done it now....

Reece was in bed watching the news with me this morning, he said 'mum i dont like the look of those heelys, i'll stick with my roller blades' dont blame him really....if anyone has a pair of size 7 roller blades that they dont want...can they let me know please
Old 31-01-2007, 11:45   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

they just like having a rollerskates and a skateboard, they have been going for years, but i know where your coming from, they are dangerous!
Old 31-01-2007, 11:55   #4
Resting in peace

Why companies design footwear or anything else that could possibly lead to accidents is beyond my simple thinking, just walking about with standard footware is dangerous enough, given the state of the pavements and roads.Creating a stupid craze as this is downright criminal, and I hope they take some of the liability, though I very much doubt they will.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:57   #5
I am Banned

but a question to all u parents out there. would you buy ur kids something that could endanger them in this way?
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 12:01   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadah View Post
but a question to all u parents out there. would you buy ur kids something that could endanger them in this way?
i buy my kiids loads of things that have the potential to be dangerous

teh lad got unlucky , teh same thing could have happened if he was wearing roller blades or had been on a skateboard

Quote:
His parents said the road was dangerous and questioned whether the wheeled shoes, called Heelys, had anything at all to do with the collision.
so the parents sent their 12 year old kid out on wheels to play near a busy road and by their own admission they knew the road to be dangerous

hmmm nice parenting skills
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 12:07   #7
God Member

It's about time these people got a grip!! Bloody hell fire most things kids do have the potential to be dangerous. IMHO they are no more dangerous that bikes, skateboards, roller boots and in-line skates.

In answer to your question tadah, as a parent yes I would, 'cus I'd rather they were out in the fresh air having fun on those things than sat at home wrapped up in cotton wool watching TV.
Old 31-01-2007, 12:08   #8
Senior Member+

As already said I dont see much difference between these & Roller Skates.

I doubt the partents sent him to play 'near the busy road', more like dont go to far, and when do kids listen.

All roads are dangerous.
Old 31-01-2007, 12:17   #9
God Member

i think the point in this thread is the fact that the shoes have only got wheels at the back and when you have been skating on them you can only stop by putting the front of your foot down, making you jerk and trip up
Old 31-01-2007, 12:19   #10
God Member

LOL! I know flashy but how many twisted ankles and things did we get trying to master roller boots with the stopper on the front. No different IMO.
Old 31-01-2007, 12:19   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i think the point in this thread is the fact that the shoes have only got wheels at the back and when you have been skating on them you can only stop by putting the front of your foot down, making you jerk and trip up
Isnt that the same a roller skates, apart from the have a big stopper at the front?
Old 31-01-2007, 12:20   #12
Resident Waffler

Bit of an odd idea - is it a trainer or is it a roller boot? How do people stop who are wearing roller boots?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 12:46   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

new ideas make MONEY. they dont give a monkeys wether dangerous or not.kids being kids,want the latest fad.its an age old question Tadah,do you buy em for em or not? should probably be a minimum age limit to have them,but wont be.it all boils down to do you trust yer kids to be responsible i think.
Old 31-01-2007, 13:51   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

The parents may or may not have thought of them in any way different to roller blades but, unfortunately, parents can't always be everywhere with their children. Assuming they're not "don't care" parents I'm sure they didn't anticipate him crossing a road in them but sometimes kids do things of their own volition, don't they?

I believe the lad bought them himself, with his Christmas money.
Old 31-01-2007, 14:28   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Bit of an odd idea - is it a trainer or is it a roller boot? How do people stop who are wearing roller boots?
When they hit a wall, pedestrian, car etc

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..