Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2008, 22:05   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: prince edward coming to accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Actually as its the "Pals Centre" an old soldier would be more fitting. IMHO.
Well, I do agree with that one .. have we anyone left from the Pals I wonder ? No, would have to be over 100 I guess, but the health centre is not about the Pals really .. just named in their honour.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2008, 22:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Actually as its the "Pals Centre" an old soldier would be more fitting. IMHO.
Good idea there Cashy , Maybe the old chap who had his wife taken away by Social Services
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:37   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, I do agree with that one .. have we anyone left from the Pals I wonder ? No, would have to be over 100 I guess, but the health centre is not about the Pals really .. just named in their honour.
dont think any Pals are still with us, but the health centre named after em n being pretty central, there must surely be survivors of WW2 with relatives or connections to em, ST.Johns is being consigned to history sadly, the Oakhill monument is a bit off track to visitors to accy, the naming of the centre whilst i agree with,its a sop to the loss of st,johns to me, would be nice n fitting if it was opened this way, Accy could actually make a day of it,if they put there minds to it.
Old 28-02-2008, 23:21   #19
I am Banned

Lets hope they invite William Turners widow to this function.
Without the work Bill Turner did in bringing the "ACCRINGTON PALS"
to the publics attention, it wouldn't be called the ACCRINGTON PALS MEDICAL CENTRE.

They ignored Bill when they decided to give it that name, claiming there was no lasting Memorial in the town, completely ignoring the fact, that Bill had campaigned for over three years to get the Memorial erected in Church St.

I worked with Bill for over twenty years on his "PALS" projects, travelling with him to the Public Record Office at Kew, we spent nearly a month down there on and off, staying with my daughter who lives near there

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:16   #20
Resting in Peace

I'm going for an eye sight test in March must make sure its not on that day
Old 29-02-2008, 10:35   #21

wow, wonder if wee Eddy is slightly embaressed with the fact that his young nephew is in Afghanistan fighting for the country, whereas he is coming to Accrington to open a health centre..... mind you, there are those that say there would be little difference lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:39   #22
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Would that be the most masculine of them all.... Anne
I like Ann......... She's got balls.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 19:05   #23
Senior Member+

prince andrew wud've been a better choice - i prefer him than edward...

ah well but either way its better than another duke of kent bloke opening it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..