Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Child Benefit (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/child-benefit-38398.html)

flashy 08-04-2008 08:14

Child Benefit

I see its gone up 70p a week as of this week

JJ_ 08-04-2008 08:23

Re: Child Benefit

wooooooohoooooooooooo (not) lol
does that buy a loaf of bread or milk nowadays lol

emzy 08-04-2008 08:56

Is that per child?? Or is a lesser ammount for the 2nd child?

flashy 08-04-2008 09:34

i dunno Em, i was getting £18.10 a week for reece and now i get £18.80, you should have had a letter already, i got mine about a month ago

lancsdave 08-04-2008 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 558964)
Is that per child?? Or is a lesser ammount for the 2nd child?

45p for second child if I recall correctly.

derekgas 08-04-2008 10:03

Steady girls, dont show too much excitement, and dont spend it all at once, they will soon steal it back, in triplicate!

JJ_ 08-04-2008 10:10

lol @derek
yeah aint that the truth !

MargaretR 08-04-2008 10:32

It is a fairly recent innovation to pay anything for a 1st child.
That change happened during my parenting of an 'only one'.
It is expensive to raise a child, but everyone has the choice of whether to have them.

There are better ways to hand out public money,- by not giving it to those families who dont need it, and increasing the payout to those that do.

Family Allowance (as it was called) was a government tool to encourage an increase in population.

Do we really want that nowadays?

Lilly 08-04-2008 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 559009)
It is a fairly recent innovation to pay anything for a 1st child.
That change happened during my parenting of an 'only one'.
It is expensive to raise a child, but everyone has the choice of whether to have them.

There are better ways to hand out public money,- by not giving it to those families who dont need it, and increasing the payout to those that do.

Family Allowance (as it was called) was a government tool to encourage an increase in population.

Do we really want that nowadays?

We've had this conversation on here before, Margaret.

I think that child benefit should be means tested. I think it's ludicrous that it is given to everyone with a child.

This means that the likes of Madonna, Cherie Blair, Victoria Beckham are eligible for it. What do they need child benefit for? What a waste of money.:(

lancscat 08-04-2008 14:43

wow thats a huge amount,think ill book a holiday lol

Yolanda25 08-04-2008 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 559147)
We've had this conversation on here before, Margaret.

I think that child benefit should be means tested. I think it's ludicrous that it is given to everyone with a child.

This means that the likes of Madonna, Cherie Blair, Victoria Beckham are eligible for it. What do they need child benefit for? What a waste of money.:(

why are they not entitle to it, im sure famous people pays tax as well:D

panther 08-04-2008 14:54

wait untill it goes up to £20 next year!!

I think ill book that holiday:rolleyes:!!

Lilly 08-04-2008 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yolanda25 (Post 559151)
why are they not entitle to it, im sure famous people pays tax as well:D

It's not the fact that they are famous, more the fact that they have a lot of money. To me giving child benefit to people who earn over a certain amount is money squandered.

garinda 08-04-2008 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 559155)
It's not the fact that they are famous, more the fact that they have a lot of money. To me giving child benefit to people who earn over a certain amount is money squandered.

I'm in agreement with you on this one.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently my dad used to send our Family Allowance, as it then was, to a charity that paid for children in the third world to have cataract operations to restore their sight.

It does seem strange that it isn't means tested. I'm sure 99% of my fellow fee paying school mates didn't need it either, yet we were all entitled to it.

I was always suprised that Mrs Thatcher stopped free school milk, yet allowed this benefit for all to continue.

Lilly 08-04-2008 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 559161)
I'm in agreement with you on this one.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently my dad used to send our Family Allowance, as it then was, to a charity that paid for children in the third world to have cataract operations to restore their sight.

Aaaah what a lovely thing to do. :)