Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   What avatars annoy you? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/what-avatars-annoy-you-42255.html)

mobertol 17-01-2012 08:45

Re: What avatars annoy you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 962893)
It's a decorative letter G - think of medieval monks transcribing a book.

It's changed since that one Margaret -look again!

jaysay 17-01-2012 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 962973)

I've lost count of the number of avatars Rindi has had over the years

garinda 17-01-2012 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 962973)

It's the late performance artist Leigh Bowery.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lgq5fK45Sri2VA

He's in a book I'm reading at the moment.

Didn't know him well, but we had a mutual friend, and I used to see him out and about.

If you'd had a li'l drinky, and he came dancing next to you in a club, it could make you think your drinks may have been spiked, with some mind-bending drugs.

:eek::D:eek:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...HWHvdRRGQB-8Ju

Leigh Bowery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D

I though he was funny.

I liked seeing him give birth to his own wife, though I always stood well back when he did his infamous human fountain act.

garinda 17-01-2012 15:06

There's an interesting film about him on You Tube, in six parts, about an hour in length.

The Legend of Leigh Bowery (1/6) - YouTube

Our mutual friend's interviewed.

Though I'm not saying which of the freak people they are.

:rolleyes::D

mobertol 17-01-2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 963011)
It's the late performance artist Leigh Bowery.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lgq5fK45Sri2VA

He's in a book I'm reading at the moment.

Didn't know him well, but we had a mutual friend, and I used to see him out and about.

If you'd had a li'l drinky, and he came dancing next to you in a club, it could make you think your drinks may have been spiked, with some mind-bending drugs.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...HWHvdRRGQB-8Ju

Leigh Bowery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I though he was funny.

I liked seeing him give birth to his own wife, though I always stood well back when he did his infamous human fountain act.

Had a good read of what you posted - what's the title of the book?

I begin to realise what a sheltered life I've lead. (As if I didn't know -begin to regret having abandonned ship back in '87...:rolleyes:)

Can't say I'm jealous exactly but definitely curious. Am preparing a list of questions - don't think you're getting away with a Wikipedia general "tamed down" link. I want the whole truth.;):D

Oh, by the way - not a bit attractive as far as I'm concerned. Probably need a few Li'l drinkies!

mobertol 17-01-2012 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 963013)
There's an interesting film about him on You Tube, in six parts, about an hour in length.

The Legend of Leigh Bowery (1/6) - YouTube

Our mutual friend's interviewed.

Though I'm not saying which of the freak people they are.

:rolleyes::D

Haven't managed to watch this yet -have to wait till I'm alone and in peace. (Shortly hopefully!) Will have a guess -i do like a quiz...

It's not you by any chance in some kind of disguise is it?

garinda 17-01-2012 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 963069)
Had a good read of what you posted - what's the title of the book?

I begin to realise what a sheltered life I've lead. (As if I didn't know -begin to regret having abandonned ship back in '87...:rolleyes:)

Can't say I'm jealous exactly but definitely curious. Am preparing a list of questions - don't think you're getting away with a Wikipedia general "tamed down" link. I want the whole truth.;):D

He features quite a bit in Boy George's latest book, Straight.

I only knew him to say hello to.

Though he did make me think I was seeing things, when he'd suddenly appear next to you on some dance floor.

His first mentor, I knew first. Who I met when I was fourteen, whilst clubbing, after escaping through a hotel window, on a school trip to London.

mobertol 17-01-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 963075)
He features quite a bit in Boy George's latest book, Straight.

I only knew him to say hello to.

Though he did make me think I was seeing things, when he'd suddenly appear next to you on some dance floor.

His first mentor, I knew first. Who I met when I was fourteen, whilst clubbing, after escaping through a hotel window, on a school trip to London.

So that's 2 clubbing nights on the list, you still havent given me the full details of St-Tropez aged 12 yet.

From little pie prince to deliciously bad school-boy -our school trips were so tame (well mostly;)!):D

garinda 17-01-2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 963077)
So that's 2 clubbing nights on the list, you still havent given me the full details of St-Tropez aged 12 yet.

From little pie prince to deliciously bad school-boy -our school trips were so tame (well mostly;)!):D

I was always keen for adventure.

Luckily I was nearly six foot aged twelve, and quick witted.

Oh, and lucky.

Not to come to a sticky end.

(Good name for a club, that.)

mobertol 17-01-2012 20:01

Watched the film now - from the little I've seen and my own "psycho-babble" intuition - I perceive some sadness. Drawing attention to yourself in such an outrageous way can only be an extreme way of hiding - from others, yourself or whatever.

Most of what I want to say is better not written here. Will tell it to you sometime in first person and use you as a sounding board if that's OK.

We all have elements of extremism - I don't think anyone is either one thing or the other - there are just loads of factors working together to make us who we are and also , more importantly, not what we are but what we can be...

garinda 17-01-2012 21:31

I just found him funny.

He amused me.

I admire people that push boundaries.

:)

mobertol 18-01-2012 16:08

Well, the photo makes an interesting Avatar -very eye-catching. Not sure I'd have tried out any of his designs though -just a bit too way-out, more art than fashion.

An interesting character, but having seen his "very normal" family it's hard to imagine how he came along. Sad he died so young though.