Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Not Smoking. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/not-smoking-68820.html)

Less 16-01-2017 19:57

Not Smoking.

I chose last Friday morning not to go the corner shop and get some smokes, I have continued not to go for some right up until now, well, I say now, in actual fact, I mean about quarter of an hour ago.

I'm now sat here staring at the little cellophane strip that will allow me entry to ten superking, I haven't gone this long, without tobacco for over 40, perhaps 50 years.

Should I be strong? Should I turn my back on this packet of weed? After all, I've managed nearly 5 days without lighting up.

What should I do? (somehow, I already know what I will do, which is probably different from what I should do).

Rowlf 16-01-2017 20:03

Re: Not Smoking.

Be strong Less and resist opening the packet. The advert currently on TV is enough to put anyone off. Save your money and treat yourself to a nice holiday or something. Good luck.

Stevie R 16-01-2017 20:05

Swap your ten Superkings for ten Silk Cut;)

Less 16-01-2017 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 1185585)
Swap your ten Superkings for ten Silk Cut;)

My X decided we should smoke silk cut, I used to wrap insulation tape around the perforations so that I could get a good drag on my fag.
:joint:

So far, this hasn't helped, I've undone half the cellophane, I'm getting nearer to opening the packet.
:o

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:14

Ignore the allure of the packet. Those receptors in your brain that are tickled by nicotine are now almost dead. What you have to combat now is the 'hand to mouth' habit.
Continue in the vein of the last five days and you will become richer and you might even get to call yourself a 'non smoker'.
And on another note Less, well done on the five days abstinence from Nicotine.
You deserve a putty medal

Less 16-01-2017 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1185587)
Ignore the allure of the packet. Those receptors in your brain that are tickled by nicotine are now almost dead. What you have to combat now is the 'hand to mouth' habit.
Continue in the vein of the last five days and you will become richer and you might even get to call yourself a 'non smoker'.
And on another note Less, well done on the five days abstinence from Nicotine.
You deserve a putty medal

Well, thank you, you mentioned receptors and brain with a reference to me as if that could be true, as for a 'putty medal', nope, too olde worlde I'd rather have a modern day silicon sealant medal,

I enjoy the idea of being a 'non smoker' except...

I've met quite a few of them, they seem very unforgiving towards smokers, should I be one?

So far, this is the closest to getting me to re-seal the packet, but still it's failed, I really am close to opening it.
:end:

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:30

You could always break the mould of evangelical ex smokers...show them compassion and celebrate them overcoming their habit.

Yes, you do have a brain...and it has receptors that were stimulated by Nicotine, but I was taught that after five to seven days these receptors are gone, but they can be re activated by that next cigarette...and they will leap back to life.

If you was a silicone sealant medal, I am sure it could be arranged.
And lastly if you fail to resist the temptation of lady Nicotine, then at least you managed five days. Next time it might be five weeks.

Less 16-01-2017 20:41

What the hey, rather than resist lady nicotine I will embrace her, it's got to be cheaper than the three bottles of vodka per day I'm substituting the habit with.
:dflam:

Less 16-01-2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1185592)
What the hey, rather than resist lady nicotine I will embrace her, it's got to be cheaper than the three bottles of vodka per day I'm substituting the habit with.
:dflam:

Only joking, so far it's only been two bottles.
:p

Margaret Pilkington 16-01-2017 20:48

Oh well, it was a nice try(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation).but no cigar.
At least Vodka is a 'clean' spirit.

Less 16-01-2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1185595)
Oh well, it was a nice try(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation).but no cigar.
At least Vodka is a 'clean' spirit.

I lasted until now (whatever time stamp this post gets)

I just couldn't resist your description,

Quote:

(I can see you sitting back and taking long drags on that pure white stick of temptation)
Not to worry, I'll try again to give up in another 40 or 50 years.
:rolleyes:

Accyexplorer 16-01-2017 21:22

For the future, you could try a electronic alternative,although this is swapping one habit for another,it's healthier....for now,enjoy your weed :smoky:

Less 16-01-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185600)
For the future, you could try a electronic alternative,although this is swapping one habit for another,it's healthier....for now,enjoy your weed :smoky:

Nope, I know I failed, but I reckon cold turkey is the way, I'll try again, (and possibly, again and again), I got this far which is further than I ever thought I could go.

Accyexplorer 16-01-2017 21:36

Positive mental attitude plays a big part in quitting,that's where I fall :D

I wish you the best I luck,I wish I could kick my vape machine,the hand to mouth habit seems harder to kick now than the nicotine.

Neil 16-01-2017 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1185600)

Is it really healthier? The debate is out on that still