Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2012, 15:52   #1
Rest in Peace

A Dogs Purpose? from a 6 year old

Being a veterinarian,I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.The dogs owners,Ron,his wife Lisa,and there little boy Shane,were very attached to Belker,and they were hoping for a miracle
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker,and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements,Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year old Shane to observe the procedure.They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day,I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.Shane seemed so calm,petting the old dog for the last time,that I wondered if he understood what was going on.Within a few minutes,Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.We sat together for a while after Belker's Death wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane who had been listening quietly,piped up"I know why."

Startled,we all turned to him.What came out of his mouth next stunned me.I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.It has changed the way I try to live.
He said,"People are born so they can learn how to live a good life--like loving everybody all the time and being nice,right?
The six year old continued,"Well, dogs already know how to do that,so they don't have to stay as long."
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2012, 17:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: A Dogs Purpose? from a 6 year old

Well said young man
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 11:32   #3
God Member

As they say, from the mouth of babes...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 22:11   #4
Senior Member+

I found it difficult to read to the end, but I did. A sad story with a warm feeling attached.

I hope I can be the same when its time for my dog to go, or myself come to that.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 22:47   #5

I was beginning to think Claytonx was a vet until I found the story via Google on Upgradereality.com. Search Belker.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 23:33   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I was beginning to think Claytonx was a vet until I found the story via Google on Upgradereality.com. Search Belker.
me too, so is it true !

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=2551

Last edited by davemac; 27-01-2012 at 23:34. Reason: add link.
Old 28-01-2012, 13:21   #7
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Sorry Michael1954 and Davemac to squeamish to be a vet.Just a nice story.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 13:30   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
I was beginning to think Claytonx was a vet
Me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I found it difficult to read to the end, but I did. A sad story with a warm feeling attached.

I hope I can be the same when its time for my dog to go, or myself come to that.
I also find things like this hard to read as this is something im not looking forward to, I have a bull mastiff that will be 9 in march had her from a pup, the bond between her and my 2yr old is really strong I don't know if he will understand when she is not here any more. I don't think I would let him watch if I had to get her put down.

Quote:
Probably not if its all over different forums with different bits put in.
Old 28-01-2012, 18:06   #9
Resting In Peace

Sorry to put a damper on things but this is one of those sentimental typically American stories that are all over the web.

Just seeing the word veterinarian should tell you it didn't originate over here. A friend of mine sends this sort of stuff, and pictures, to me all the time and it drives me mad.

At least this one has some sort of truth in it but most of them just make me want to throw up.

Like this one from snopes.com: Irish Luck??? (I love the word glurge, see Urban Dictionary: glurge):

Subject: Irish Luck

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools

and ran to the bog. There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.

"I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life."

"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel.

"Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.

"Yes," the farmer replied proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education my own son will enjoy. If the lad is anything like his father, he'll no doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of." And that he did. Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in time, graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia.

What saved his life this time? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name?

Sir Winston Churchill.

Someone once said: What goes around comes around.

Work like you don't need the money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

Dance like nobody's watching.

Sing like nobody's listening.

Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

It's National Friendship Week. Send this to

everyone you consider A FRIEND.

Pass this on, and brighten someone's day.

AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH:
Good Luck!

I hope it works...

May there always be work for your hands to do;

May your purse always hold a coin or two;

May the sun always shine on your windowpane;

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;

May the hand of a friend always be near you;

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer

you.

OK, this is what you have to do... Send this to

all of your friends.

But - you HAVE to send this within 1 hour from

when you open it!

Now.....Make A wish!! I hope you made your

wish!

Now then, if you send to:

1 person --- your wish will be granted in 1

year

3 people --- 6 months

5 people --- 3 months

6 people --- 1 month

7 people --- 2 weeks

8 people --- 1 week

9 people --- 5 days

10 people --- 3 days

12 people --- 2 days

15 people --- 1 day

20 people --- 3 hours

If you delete this after you read it, you will

have 1 year of ????????????

But, if you send it to 2 of your friends, you

will automatically

have 3 years good luck!!!

ok, where to start?

1. The story is false.
2. Why is the story titled "Irish Luck" if it doesn't contain any Irish, much less "lucky" ones?
3. Why, oh why do glurge writers feel compelled to add unrelated things into their glurge? What does the alleged "Irish Freindship Wish" have to do with the story? Although it might explain the title. No it doesn't.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:39   #10
Senior Member+

***Mr D***
I also find things like this hard to read as this is something im not looking forward to, I have a bull mastiff that will be 9 in march had her from a pup, the bond between her and my 2yr old is really strong I don't know if he will understand when she is not here any more. I don't think I would let him watch if I had to get her put down.

I have a dog now (nearly 16 months old) it took me over 30 years to get another, as I had to have my last one put down due to growths on his side, just before he went through the door with the vet to be put down he looked back at me, the look in his eyes haunts me to this day. So I understand, and dread the day myself
Old 28-01-2012, 21:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
***Mr D***

I have a dog now (nearly 16 months old) it took me over 30 years to get another, as I had to have my last one put down due to growths on his side, just before he went through the door with the vet to be put down he looked back at me, the look in his eyes haunts me to this day. So I understand, and dread the day myself
There's nothing to dread. It's part of the deal you sign on to when you take animals into your life. You feed them, give them a warm safe home, provide good health care, befriend them and love them. There is an implied promise to make sure that their lives and their deaths are full of love and caring. Whenever the time comes for one of my critters ... and you always know the time if you love them ... I'm right there with them, touching them, holding them. I believe that it is right and proper that you be with them when the vet gives them the injection. The last thing they should see in this world is a loving friend, and the last thing that they should hear is that you love them. The death of a loving companion is nothing to look forward to; but it's nothing to fear.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 22:22   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
There's nothing to dread. It's part of the deal you sign on to when you take animals into your life. You feed them, give them a warm safe home, provide good health care, befriend them and love them. There is an implied promise to make sure that their lives and their deaths are full of love and caring. Whenever the time comes for one of my critters ... and you always know the time if you love them ... I'm right there with them, touching them, holding them. I believe that it is right and proper that you be with them when the vet gives them the injection. The last thing they should see in this world is a loving friend, and the last thing that they should hear is that you love them. The death of a loving companion is nothing to look forward to; but it's nothing to fear.
You're right of course Eric but I've never been able to watch anything die, not even my own mother. I'm fortunate that Richard does not mind being there at the end so all our animals have had someone there.

At least we are able to help our animals on their way, would it were so for people.

Last edited by Neil; 29-01-2012 at 00:04. Reason: fix quote
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 22:55   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
you are right of course, but it is still not easy, even when you have broad ideas of life expectancy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..