Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 01:57   #1
Give, give, give member

Accy in the mid nineties.

Just came across this short film.

Suprising how many changes there's been.

Also footage of the Arndale clock,

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2010, 06:12   #2
God Member

Re: Accy in the mid nineties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Just came across this short film.

Suprising how many changes there's been.

Also footage of the Arndale clock,

That was great..if it's Accy I'm coming home!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30   #3
God Member

good to be reminded of the past Gary
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49   #4
Senior Member+

Interesting film. The first thing that strikes you is that we had a few more shops in the town centre.The old covered market was still there,arguably better than the one we have now.

And of course the famous Arndale Clock,which when you look at it again was quite elaborate for the time.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:01   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good find, thing that struck me is simple, its changed fer the worse in such a short time span. change can be a good thing, but not in this case.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:21   #6
God Member

Nice find G made me remember how good our little town was. Agree with Cashy on how change has been bad.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:30   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good find, thing that struck me is simple, its changed fer the worse in such a short time span. change can be a good thing, but not in this case.
Yes, the changes don't seem to have been for the better, and lets not forget they cost a lot of money to implement.

Besides the town centre it's sad to see how many businesses have pulled out of the Arndale, in little over a decade.

As for the great minds that came up with the planning, pish up in a brewery seems apt.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:54   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, the changes don't seem to have been for the better, and lets not forget they cost a lot of money to implement.

Besides the town centre it's sad to see how many businesses have pulled out of the Arndale, in little over a decade.

As for the great minds that came up with the planning, pish up in a brewery seems apt.
I'm not going to make this into another 'it was better in the old days' thread, even if it was...honest.

It's just that as a twice a week town centre shopper, I get fed up that there are fewer seats on Broadway than there used to be, and if you are lucky enough to get a seat, because of the poor design, you're highly likely to get a wet arse.

Oh, and I hate the facade of the shops where the outdoor market used to be, almost as much as the blue and white Town Hall extension.

Toy town like, cheap looking, non-local materials, French chateauesque roofs, aren't high on my aesthetic book of good architecture.

Still the clock looked good in the film.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:54   #9
God Member

Great film G it also highlights just how many stores were lost when the retail parks were given planning permission
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02   #10
Give, give, give member

It's a pity they didn't do a film at night as well.

Showing how busy and vibrant the pubs and clubs used to be, compared to the ghost town Accy at night is now.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:38   #11
Senior Member+

Loved the film! Loved the music too!
Bring back Dixons!
Bring back the old umbrella market! (I wish)
Bring back the CLOCK!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:03   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Loved the film! Loved the music too!
Bring back Dixons!
Bring back the old umbrella market! (I wish)
Bring back the CLOCK!
All those would be good, but as they can't get calendars n bin collections right, wishing is probably all it will ever be.
Old 01-01-2010, 16:25   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It would be an excellent comparison if some-one could do a video from the exact same spot's same timing, everything, then we might have an idea if things have improved or...

Nah, forget it, we'd end up with Garage music or something worse in the background, it isn't worth the irritation!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:02   #14
God Member

nice to see accy before it got totaly decimated and that damn arndale center that started teh death of our towncenter along with whitebirk industrial estate.The guy filming the arndale clock probably got his pocket picked while he was looking up at it like many others did lol

does anyone remember teh circular loos that once stood on teh carpark on union street where teh arndale now sits they had green glass tiled walls as you went in

Quote:

It's just that as a twice a week town centre shopper, I get fed up that there are fewer seats on Broadway than there used to be, and if you are lucky enough to get a seat, because of the poor design, you're highly likely to get a wet arse.
when planning seating they didnt take into accountthe ammount of bums that sat on the flowerbed walls so as soon as they went available seating was reduced over %90 lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-01-2010 at 18:07.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:19   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It would be an excellent comparison if some-one could do a video from the exact same spot's same timing, everything, then we might have an idea if things have improved or...
Can't help with that but came across this amazing film of Accrington versus Church's cricket derby in 1902, filmed by cinema pioneers Mitchell and Kenyon in 1902.

Might be of interest to one of our moderators, as there are Ormerods playing, then as now.

Great crowd scenes, and shots of the many chimneys in the town, belting out smoke.

(I apologise if this film's already on Accy Web.)

Last edited by garinda; 01-01-2010 at 18:25.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..