Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2010, 20:00   #211

Re: Bigotry on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Just read my first quote. That's what I'm about.
First quote of whom? I've just quoted you, do you mean your first post? I only ask because I'm not going on a search again with dye in my eyes if I'm not sure what I'm looking for
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2010, 20:05   #212
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Just read my first quote. That's what I'm about.
Have done & it still doesn't really elucidate matters, if you wish to make a stand (equally & fairly) against bigotry, there are "instances" aplenty here if you so choose How about Muslims, the Police, the Judiciary & many more to boot, they all come in for a slating why aren't you defending them ?

And Tealeaf, NO ! the closest I was to Holiness & Alter boys was being on the lash outside Köln Cathedral, many moons ago.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 25-05-2010 at 20:14.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 20:05   #213
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
First quote of whom? I've just quoted you, do you mean your first post? I only ask because I'm not going on a search again with dye in my eyes if I'm not sure what I'm looking for
Me niether I might get lost in it all n drown.

Can see the Obo snippit

Accrington man dies in religious soup on a local forum trying to find a quote that shows what the poster who started a thread was on about. He was last seen wallowing around and went under with a burble not to be seen again. Due to H & S (Hell & Satens) rules he could not be rescued.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 20:08   #214
JCB

Quote:
My first post.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 20:08   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Me niether I might get lost in it all n drown.

Can see the Obo snippit

Accrington man dies in religious soup on a local forum trying to find a quote that shows what the poster who started a thread was on about. He was last seen wallowing around and went under with a burble not to be seen again. Due to H & S (Hell & Satens) rules he could not be rescued.
Old 25-05-2010, 20:10   #216

Quote:
Over the weekend , perusing past quotes on the Accy Web , I was amazed at the degree of bigotry and prejudice relating to God , Christianity , the Catholic Church , saints etc.

It is easy to make cheap , shallow jibes at the expense of those who have deeply-held beliefs and outlooks on life different from one's own.

It appears to be not so easy to provide an in-depth explanation of one's own conclusions of what Reality is to back up the snide sneering.

May I suggest that those who wish to make such criticisms do so with some element of wisdom which gives expression to their views.
Can you show us which posts you are referring to please?
Old 25-05-2010, 20:11   #217
God Member

Quote:
Over the weekend , perusing past quotes on the Accy Web , I was amazed at the degree of bigotry and prejudice relating to God , Christianity , the Catholic Church , saints etc.

It is easy to make cheap , shallow jibes at the expense of those who have deeply-held beliefs and outlooks on life different from one's own.

It appears to be not so easy to provide an in-depth explanation of one's own conclusions of what Reality is to back up the snide sneering.

May I suggest that those who wish to make such criticisms do so with some element of wisdom which gives expression to their views.

Well here it is n I am more confused than the 3 blind mice in a 10 square mile maze that keeps changing.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:13   #218
God Member

Better give JCB time to consult with yon big un as to which was the whatever and why it was placed. If that makes ant sense.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:13   #219
JCB

Google News : "No-holds barred Cameron ditches Queen's Speech etiquette."

How dare he treat what HRM , head of our national Church , says without his using proper etiquette?
Old 25-05-2010, 20:16   #220
God Member

Quote:
Google News : "No-holds barred Cameron ditches Queen's Speech etiquette."

How dare he treat what HRM , head of our national Church , says without his using proper etiquette?
Excuse me but it is an international church!!! Besides he must have told her first. Free speech etc.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:17   #221
JCB

Quote:
Can you show us which posts you are referring to please?
Iv'e told you. The first one.
Old 25-05-2010, 20:17   #222
God Member

Owd Lizzie may be the head of the church but she dosnt make its policy.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:19   #223
God Member

Quote:
This for 10 points?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-05-2010, 20:19   #224

Quote:
Iv'e told you. The first one.
I know you mean your first post but in that you refer to reading other posts on Accyweb that you don't seem too keen on. I just wondered which posts you had perused that had upset you or caused you to think they were bigoted.
Old 25-05-2010, 20:23   #225
God Member

Well I cant fall into the bigot fold based on my convo with my mate wiki;

The exact origin of the word is unknown, but it may have come from the German bei and gott, or the English by God. William Camden wrote that the Normans were first called bigots, when their Duke Rollo, who when receiving Gisla, daughter of King Charles, in marriage, and with her the investiture of the dukedom, refused to kiss the king's foot in token of subjection - unless the king would hold it out for that specific purpose. When being urged to do it by those present, Rollo answered hastily "No, by God", whereupon the King, turning about, called him bigot, which then passed from him to his people.[1] This is quite probably fictional, as Gisla is unknown in Frankish sources. It is true, however, that the French used the term bigot to abuse the Normans.[2].
The twelfth century Charlotte B J Anglo-Norman author Wace claimed that bigot was an insult which the French used against the Normans, but it is unclear whether or not this is how it entered the English language.[3]
According to Egon Friedell, "bigot" is of the same root as "visigoth". In Vulgar Latin, the initial v transformed into b (a phenomenon today encountered in Iberian languages, such as Spanish and Portuguese; visi had truncated into bi in Vulgar Latin (a phenomenon common in French and Portuguese).[1][2]

A bigot (in modern usage) is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different ethnicity, race, or class.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Last edited by SPUGGIE J; 25-05-2010 at 20:25. Reason: Missed a bit :O

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..