Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2009, 22:04   #16
God Member

Re: Children on facebook

Why would chidren want to go on adult networking sites?
Old 19-04-2009, 22:08   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
thats your answer how do you know they aint had verification from the parents to have the account?
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 22:51   #18

If you object to them - report them to Facebook.

They may be monitored by their parents - or not.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 23:31   #19
God Member

I know a couple of kids that are under 13, but then I didnt know that facebook had restrictions.
Oh and the parents have been all for it as well.
I agree flashy its wrong but if parents are all for it theres not a lot you can do and your just fighting a losing battle.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 02:16   #20
God Member

The parents don't necessarily know. It's quite easy for the child to be far too advanced for the parent to know everything, even if they need to be at a computer elsewhere to do it.

At the end of the day I don't think it's wholly about monitoring 100% what your children are doing, as even for the most advanced user that's pretty difficult if they choose to do it elsewhere. Teaching them of the rights and wrongs; and why they should be careful, and how to be careful, is however something a parent can do. If you can teach them responsibility it will go a long way.
Old 20-04-2009, 04:00   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Teaching them of the rights and wrongs; and why they should be careful, and how to be careful, is however something a parent can do. If you can teach them responsibility it will go a long way.
You got it in one mate. With some monitoring as well
Old 20-04-2009, 04:54   #22
God Member

and remember a lot of phones now have decent internet access (both 3G and wifi)so whilst you may sit there whilst they go on the main PC, what are they up to on their mobiles?????

The internet is a wide and varied place, it has extremly good and evil sides and as such needs parents to be savy and in control.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 05:32   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

reported
Old 20-04-2009, 10:23   #24
God Member

I didn't realise there was an age limit. I wouldn't let my two do it anyway but I do know a few young people who are on there.

I'm always in a tricky position when they ask to be my 'friend' because they are usually young people who I know through working with them in drama sessions but on the other hand I don't think it's too wise to be overly friendly. I don't want to refuse them so that they know that I am someone they can trust but i don't want to put myself in a situation where they could affect the work that I'm doing. It's a fine line.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 13:16   #25
Beacon of light

a friend of mine sent me an invite to be his friend on Facebook.......I declined the invite because I told him I was too old to be on facebook(OK, Facebook may not have an upper age limit......but my feeling is that it is something for younger folk).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 13:24   #26

Thumbs up Re: Children on facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
my niece has just told me she has a friend who has set up an account on facebook...she is TEN years old, this is illegal, you have to be 12 (i think) to be able to open an account....the childs mum has obviously opened the account for her, i have also noticed some younger kids on facebook recently too, i think this is bang out of order...what the hell are the parents thinking?

if you are found out the account will be deleted and so can the persons who is responsible for setting it up, they have obviously given false dates of birth...

if i see any i will be reporting them, i think its disgusting

talk about irresponsible parenting, this really maddens me

My Katie set her Facebook the day after 13th birthday and i did it with her and know her password. We monitor what she is doing and who she is adding all the time. The internet isn't a safe place and i do agree with you i know people who have set up there childrens accounts and there only 10. Callum is 9 and there is not a chance he is going to have one until he is 13!!!!!
MrsAleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 15:30   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, if a child, (I think it's under 12), tries to register on here then the parents have to apply for a form to be filled in and delivered back to Roy by Snail Mail before he can allow them on, there have been some that try to get away with it, but if discovered I believe both the child that, lied and the parent(s) face a permanent ban.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 16:00   #28
God Member

Parental consent or not, I don't think primary school children should be on facebook.

Of course, that wouldn't be possible to enforce because if the parent is saying the child is 13 then what can you do?

That's just my view on the matter.
Old 20-04-2009, 18:25   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
a friend of mine sent me an invite to be his friend on Facebook.......I declined the invite because I told him I was too old to be on facebook(OK, Facebook may not have an upper age limit......but my feeling is that it is something for younger folk).
I though that when someone first asked me to join.

Being nosey I did join, but then never went on.

In the past year or so I've used it a lot, and I love it.

I check there before Accy Web now.

There are groups for all kinds of things.

I started a young onset Parkinson's group, because there wasn't a UK one, and it's been invaluable, and I've made some great friends, some of which I'm friends with in the 'real' world.

I also love Scrabble, and hadn't played for years since my dad's death, because that was our game. Now I have a few games going all the time, including with my friend in Gran Canaria, as well as nail biting matches with Gayle.

I'd say give it a go. It'd be a good way for you to feel closer to your family and friends down under, and if you don't think it's for you there's nothing lost.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 18:36   #30
Give, give, give member

...and at the moment I'm hooked on a gardening game, that Willow invited me to join, which results in actual rainforest being saved.

I've saved 51 square feet so far, and have just celebrated by buying some new pots.

There's quite a few gardners from Accy Web, but we could always do with more help with the watering.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..