Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2006, 23:08   #1
God Member

Different places, Different ways.....

I recently went to visit a friend of mine in County Durham. Lovely place, and lovely scenery......but......weird people, or is it just that I have lived with Accrington ways too long.

My friend was explaining to me that after a conversation, the LOVELY people of County Durham never say 'goodbye, see ya later' or anything like that. She comes from Blackburn and said it took her ages to get used to.
So anyway, thinking it wouldn't be that weird, we went into a couple of shops and, as normal I said " thanyou..bye" and never really noticed anything. Then as we were driving back to my friends house, I asked her the street name of this one particular street we were driving down...( long explanation of why) but my friend didn't know.

I wound my window down and asked a lady walking her dog. Very friendly lady......gave me all the In's and outs of the area aswell as the street name .........but after the conversation, she just turned and walked away with her little dog, and I was left sitting there feeling like we had stopped in mid-convo.............just because she hadn't said goodbye!!!!

Isn't it weird how we get used to our own little ways.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2006, 23:12   #2
God Member

Re: Different places, Different ways.....

that's a bit weird! it's like the convo doesn't end!

there's nowt as queer as folk
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 23:21   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
that's a bit weird! it's like the convo doesn't end!
Yeah your right.......even though my friend had warned me, I wasn't quite prepared for it.
I think my face must have said it all, because my friend just turned to me and said " I told you they never say seeya"

I'm not sure I could move away from Lancashire now, I am too set in my ways. After that day, I realised that even County Durham would seem like a foreign country to me.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 07:41   #4
Resident Waffler

I think I'd find that very hard to get used to too. It just wouldn't seem right.

I used to have a problem with Americans saying "Have a nice day" because it sounded so corny but then I learned that they find it odd not to be wished a nice day! My cousin even does it on the phone when it's late evening here, she'll end the call with "Well bye now and have a nice day" and I say "Thanks I just had one but I'll bear it in mind for tomorrow". She knows I'm going to say that but she still comes out with it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 08:00   #5
God Member

I too would find that quite rude really. Its a simple courtesy that finishes the conversation off.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..