Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2005, 18:09   #1
Resident Waffler

How's this for a twisted tale?

1994's Most Bizarre Suicide

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given by the American Association for Forensic Science, AAFS president Don Harper Mills astounded his audience in San Diego with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On 23 March 1994, the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. The deceased had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide (he left a note indicating his despondency). As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast through a window, which killed him instantly. Neither the shooter nor the deceased was aware that a safety net had been erected at the eighth floor level to protect some window washers and that Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide anyway because of this.

Ordinarily, Dr. Mills continued, a person who sets out to commit suicide ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended. That Opus was shot on the way to certain death nine stories below probably would not have changed his mode of death from suicide to homicide. But the fact that his suicidal intent would not have been successful caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands. The room on the ninth floor whence the shotgun blast emanated was occupied by and elderly man and his wife. They were arguing and he was threatening her with the shotgun. He was so upset that, when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife and pellets went through the window striking Opus. When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B.

When confronted with this charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant that neither knew that the shotgun was loaded. The old man said it was his long standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her - therefore, the killing of Opus appeared to be an accident. That is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun approximately six weeks prior to the fatal incident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

There was an exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son, one Ronald Opus, had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23, only to be killed by a shotgun blast through a ninth story window.

The medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2005, 19:31   #2
God Member

Re: How's this for a twisted tale?

Woooooo now that is freaky .......... if true
Old 30-07-2005, 20:00   #3
God Member

Fab story.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 20:07   #4
God Member

Did you hear the story a few years ago about the woman who stabbed her husband.

Apparently the husband was a raging drunk and had a habit of coming home and depending on his state of inebriation he would either beat her up or collapse in a heap on the kitchen table - sometimes both. Anyway, one night he came home from a heavy night and collapsed on the kitchen table, she at the end of thether, stabbed him many times with a kitchen knife. She then phoned the police and waited until they'd arrived. When the autopsy result came through it turned out that he had actually died of a heart attack prior to the stabbing. She got away with it because she couldn't be accused of murdering someone who was already dead.

Old 30-07-2005, 20:23   #5
Resident Waffler

Wow she was lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Woooooo now that is freaky .......... if true
I suspect it could be an urban myth but it makes a great story.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 20:32   #6
God Member

It does have all the hallmarks of an urban myth I suppose.

Old 31-07-2005, 00:41   #7
God Member

well I have to say they are both pretty freaky stories but that first one, well............................ you couldn't make that up!!!!!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 20:06   #8
God Member

Urban myth or real life, who cares, its makes good reading
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:21   #9
Senior Member+

Two great stories. lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..