Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21   #1
Resting in Peace

MEN Ironing ?

"Turbo" ironing

A high street store is getting macho with its marketing in order to sell household irons to men.

Argos is trying to make buying an iron as appealing to men as buying a new car by promoting the "turbo" power of its more expensive models.

The chain is also using sales jargon such as "ultimate control" and "precision" to encourage men to do battle with their creases and buy irons worth up to £229 in their current catalogue.

The company say men increasingly want to see irons as a power tool, rather than as a traditional domestic appliance and want macho models to match.

There has been a 17 per cent increase in the number of men who do their own ironing over the last decade, claims the store. It says that an increase in male grooming and a growing number of single men living on their own is behind the new interest in the domestic activity.

"The world of ironing is taking on a new identity, and for the very first time it has a Y chromosome," said Argos' iron buyer, Eddie Kemp.

Argos says it will continue its macho marketing by describing the amount of steam produced by each iron in a similar way that the power of a car engine is described
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31   #2
I am Band

Re: MEN Ironing ?

Which ****** in an advertising agency dreamt up this load of hocum? All it means is that I can burn my shirts in half the time that it previously took.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 22:07   #3
Len
God Member

Well, to me that seems quite true because I live on my own and I do my own demestic chores such as Ironing and to top it off I have a top of the range Polti Vaporella 400R steam iron. It does the biz. hehe

Similar to this one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iron.jpg (12.0 KB, 51 views)
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 22:18   #4

Well as my dad always said to me "Should Leave Men To Drive The Car and Women To Drive The Iron!!!" Good old dad i say hes right lol

Even though i will say that i do iron some of my own clothes sometimes.
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00   #5
Resident Waffler

£229 for an iron?!?!?!?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:42   #6
Senior Member+

When I got married my ironing activity pretty much ceased - my wife tends to do it instead!

It's not that I can't - she is quicker at it than me!

And when we can afford it, she won't have to do it very much, as we would pay someone to do it for us (she doesn't like ironing very much!)

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 16:01   #7
I am Band

Talking Re: MEN Ironing ?

Two hundred & twenty nine quid for a ...'kin iron?

Jeezus. I'd be frightened of picking it up at that price, in case I dropped it, or broke it!

I'll buy Lettie one for Christmas. She won't throw it at me when she realises just how much it's worth.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 16:50   #8
land of hope and glory

and is it not any wonder that the usage of blokes ironing has gone up 17%.............WHAT PERCENT HAS PEROXIDE GONE UP.HE..HE..never phone a blonde when shes ironing..she will burn her ear....lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 21:07   #9

That price is a bit steep for an iron! I still don't think it gets men to do the ironing
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 00:28   #10
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
That price is a bit steep for an iron! I still don't think it gets men to do the ironing
thats because us blokes are straight enough !
Old 07-06-2005, 14:20   #11

Any excuse!
Old 07-06-2005, 15:11   #12
white rabbits

the men in my house wouldent know what to do with an iron ,especialy a posh one ...
Old 07-06-2005, 15:12   #13

my point exactly
Old 07-06-2005, 15:14   #14
God Member

i could do ironing but it just recks my footy shirts so i just hang them up and the creases drop out if not i zip up my jacket simple really LOL only shirts and proper pants need ironing anything else the creases drop out!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 15:59   #15
land of hope and glory

heres one for you lads if going out in a jacket dont bother with the sleeves and back of the shirt,put the shirt on put a towel down the front and iron it while you have it on . easy peasey

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..