Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

promotional gifts can be confusing

I had forgotten all about a letter I had sent to a software company some years ago (back then emails were still around the corner for all but a few), but came across a copy just now so, unluckily for you, I thought I would share it with you.

I was working at a company that used plenty of computers and lots of software using the good old Dos system.
Three and a half inch floppies had been out for only a short while and were only fitted on the higher and more expensive end of the companies computers.

I received through the post a letter from this particular software house and a free gift, it was one of those children's puzzle games with sliding blocks and it was just about the size of a floppy disk but about twice as thick and a very bright yellow a similar game to the ones in the picture below.

Here is the letter I sent to some poor innocent Salesrep:-

Dear Sir,
I wonder if you can help me? I received your yellow disk with what I can only assume is a demo copy of your software, unfortunately it does not seem compatible with my three and a half inch floppy drive, as, when I tried to insert it, it got stuck half way in. I had quite a job trying to extract it as well.
The disappointing news is that when I did finally get the disk out, (with the help of a flat bladed screwdriver & a small hammer), all the little plastic chips fell out. I wonder if you could send me a replacement disk or else a diagram of the correct order that the chips should be fitted to the disk.

By the way, do you know where I can get a replacement fascia for my disk drive as mine is now cracked & the button has dropped off, also can you recommend a decent oil as my floppy drive makes a horrible squeaking noise and I need to quieten it down before the I.T. Manager finds out what happened.

I hope you can send me a prompt reply,

Thanking you in advance,

etc. etc.

Needless to say, I didn't get a reply but the next time a rep' called from that company, he was a new kid on the block and said it was company policy not to send out gimmicky toys with anymore of their promotions.

Looking back on it now, I never did find out what happened to the Rep that had sent me the toy, my kids had hours of fun solving it, but I never got chance to thank him for it.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2008, 13:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: promotional gifts can be confusing

Lol you never fail do you less!
Old 07-03-2008, 13:21   #3
Senior Member+

thats funny
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 13:28   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You my friend are a first class wat

Do you have any more examples of your fine letter writing art to share with us?
Old 07-03-2008, 15:05   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

class Less pure class.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:38   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You my friend are a first class wat

Do you have any more examples of your fine letter writing art to share with us?
Less leans back on his perch, preens a few of his better looking feathers and says,

"Well, I have got a few examples of things I've sent to Alex Lester on radio 2, at least 60% of which he read out, erm', would they do?

Just checked over a thousand, will they do? can you spare a few minutes, hours, days, weeks.........?

But you will have to be gentle, you know how shy I am talking in public!".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 17:48   #7
God Member

nice one

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..