Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2003, 19:30   #16
Senior Member+

Post Re: Sterotypes and generalisations

Guilty to all the above mentioned and now i have to get off to my therapy session.Tablets have been taken and now i am feeling a little bit more normal  ;D
Old 23-09-2003, 09:38   #17
Jo

Hey Tealeaf!! I'm back from my siesta, it lasted all evening, alml night and all mornign!! You know these Italians, always asleep, never get any work done - not that I'm generalising of course..........

I haver to say that as far as Germans are concerned, I had the following experience:
I went to live there for a year and went open-nminded. I came back though instead with a stereotypred image based on experience. Of course you can't generalise too much, but each culture does have certain traits that are in-bred across the whole country. This, I guess, comes about because we watch the same TV programmes, here the same jokes etc etc. I would NEVER live in Germany again, though I have many German friends that are lovely.

What is the current sitation within Britain (and especially Accy) itself? Britain is a multicultural society with a large number of Asian immigrants and British-born people of Asian origin. Also, is it true that a lot of East-European asylum seekers are entering Britain? Are there any in Accy? What are the feelings about this?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 09:49   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D  We had a lot of Eastern European Asylum seekers in Blackburn a couple of years ago. Many of whom were pregnant at the time. So we had a lot of them coming to have their babies at Queens Park. Most of them spoke no English and we managed to ferret around the community and find translators, many were frightened and had nothing more than the clothes on their backs. These people were obviously in genuine need, had no relatives here and were desperate to hear news from home, and return there when it was safe to do so. They were also very grateful for the services provided to them :'(

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 09:52   #19
Senior Member+

[quote author=Jo
though I have many German friends that are lovely.

Jo i hope you are not refferring to me! ;D I am English through and through.Heart beats red white and blue.No seriously i know where you are coming from.After 21 years and on a whole i find the majority arrogant
Old 23-09-2003, 09:55   #20
Senior Member+

[quote author=lettie and were desperate to hear news from home.([/quote]
Bit like me.Like to keep in touch wi the people and hear what is going on
Old 23-09-2003, 11:15   #21
Jo

It's really sad about the asylum seekers, Lettie. Here in Italy I think we get the largest number as we're so near to Albania and ex- Yugoslavia. On the news, when there's a crime they often refer to "an Albanian man was arrested for.....", but if they're talking about an Italian, they don't refer to his origins. There is SO much racism against these people in Italy, it's terrible, and yet they really are in need. What gets my back up are those people that were pro war in Iraq to help "free the poor Iraqis", yet they wouldn't give a penny to help the asylum seekers in their own country, on the contrary, they treat them so badly it makes me sick.

Mik - I wasn't referring to you - would never allow myself to speak of you as a German!! 'Specially not with that on-line Lancashire accent you've got, mate!!
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 20:07   #22
Senior Member+

'Specially not with that on-line Lancashire accent you've got, mate!![/quote]

Aye its a hum dinger innit.When back in August me mate even had the nerve to tell me i spoke wiv a Geeeeerman accent.Needless to say i need a new mate now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..