Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2013, 17:49   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Bottom Of My St Has Geese & Peacocks

So, often I see children of most races bringing these animals bits and pieces of food, both they and the birds love it.

Today I saw a young man and his sister feeding them, 'Hello says I, I know you you live a little further up the street.'

I hear a car door open and close behind me, Darth Vader has left the nearby auto, Hello less, haven't seen you for a while how's things going?

It turns out, she is the childrens Mother, someone I have had many polite conversations with.

I'm confused because I can't tell who she is, kids I recognise black apron? Nah, sorry don't remember!

Sorry love says I, even though you may be someone I know, I can't talk to a KKK member even if they are wearing black sheets and pillow cases, next time we're on the street and I recognise you, then we'll talk.

I couldn't tell if I'd upset or insulted her, there wasn't much expression that can be displayed in a small slit for the eyes.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2013, 10:19   #2
I am Banned

Re: The Bottom Of My St Has Geese & Peacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Sorry love says I, even though you may be someone I know, I can't talk to a KKK member even if they are wearing black sheets and pillow cases, next time we're on the street and I recognise you, then we'll talk.

I couldn't tell if I'd upset or insulted her, there wasn't much expression that can be displayed in a small slit for the eyes.
Hugh Muir had an interesting piece in yesterday's Graunidad titled "Hideously Diverse Britain Who Discriminates? Who Doesn't?"
Paraphrasing the good bits: Without scrutiny many of us still place one group usually our own ahead of another. The defining issues are power and opportunity, some have the power to inpose those prejudices whilst others are impotent Less. There is no monopoly of virtue just humans of many descriptions.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 20:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Hugh Muir had an interesting piece in yesterday's Graunidad titled "Hideously Diverse Britain Who Discriminates? Who Doesn't?"
Paraphrasing the good bits: Without scrutiny many of us still place one group usually our own ahead of another. The defining issues are power and opportunity, some have the power to inpose those prejudices whilst others are impotent Less. There is no monopoly of virtue just humans of many descriptions.
Well, I'm not sure, I keep re-reading your post,

In plain English, what on Earth do you mean?

I found a person I considered my friend, hidden behind cloth, she had to tell me who she was, I don't want to be told, I want to see the person so that I can smile as I recognise a friend.

In the news we've had some obsessive that came over to the Country and randomly killed, Only reason? he thought himself white and superior, I don't want that to happen to anyone, how though can I protect someone if I had to, when they are covered in cloth and I don't recognise them?

I want my friends to be as trusting of me as I am of them, anyone covered has something to hide, unfortunatly, I'm most reluctant to defend Zorro, he/she can look after themselves.
Old 23-10-2013, 09:12   #4
I am Banned

Well I find it quite pathetic Less, here’s a Mum taking her children to feed the ducks and geese in all innocence, no doubt her brood were full of the joys of autumn.
She shows a bit of common courtesy by giving you the time of day and gets rebuffed when you suggest to her she is a member of US white supremacy group aka. The nightshirt knights. Disgraceful behaviour from you. And how is the mum to explain your responses to these bright-eyed young innocents? *
Now you try to defend your actions in trying to link it all to a white Ukranian extremist,unmasked I add. Pathetic.
Breaking news: In London’s Brick Lane area an American has been scarred for life after being attacked by a group of Asian men using bottles. From the cctv pics released today they too were unmasked.

*Maybe now they are a bit more wary of dodgy old men approaching them with the chat up line “Hello I know you, you live further up the street”
Old 23-10-2013, 10:16   #5
Beacon of light

Quote:
Well I find it quite pathetic Less, here’s a Mum taking her children to feed the ducks and geese in all innocence, no doubt her brood were full of the joys of autumn.
She shows a bit of common courtesy by giving you the time of day and gets rebuffed when you suggest to her she is a member of US white supremacy group aka. The nightshirt knights. Disgraceful behaviour from you. And how is the mum to explain your responses to these bright-eyed young innocents? *
Now you try to defend your actions in trying to link it all to a white Ukranian extremist,unmasked I add. Pathetic.
Breaking news: In London’s Brick Lane area an American has been scarred for life after being attacked by a group of Asian men using bottles. From the cctv pics released today they too were unmasked.

*Maybe now they are a bit more wary of dodgy old men approaching them with the chat up line “Hello I know you, you live further up the street”
I don't think that is quite what Less means, although, I am pretty sure he will correct me if I am wrong......I think he is lamenting the fact that this lady could recognise him....because his face was visible....but that he was denied the opportunity of recognising the woman as a friend because she had chosen to adopt the niqab.
You have taken offence at Less for offering an opinion....a point of view.

How we interact wit those around us is very much tied up with visual cues....being able to see and recognise faces.
You malign Less by calling him a 'dodgy old man'......this isn't how the lady saw him, because she knows him as a neighbour.

I would not call your attitude towards Less 'pathetic'.....but merely questionable.
BERNADETTE, Studio25 and Gremlin like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-10-2013 at 10:20.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 10:19   #6
Beacon of light

Oh, yes and if you read the post you will see that the lady spoke to Less first...because she could see and recognise his face.....and perceived no threat to either her or her children.
Old 23-10-2013, 11:17   #7
I am Banned

Here’s a scenario to ponder on:
Bright eyed young kids feeding the ducks with Mum sat in her car watching over them. She sees this scruffy old geezer approach her children and try to engage them in conversation.
“Uh Oh” Thinks Mum “I’d better check this old cove out, what with all one reads in the papers about stranger danger and stuff these days”
“Hello Less haven’t seen you for a while, how’s things going”
Old 23-10-2013, 12:42   #8

Thank you, Margaret for coming to my defence, if in future you feel a need to do similar, feel free to jump in.
Unless of course you are wasting your time trying to defend me from DtheP, he really isn't worth worrying about.
No doubt he will continue in the manner he has adopted, well, let him, if he feels better attempting to score points in his posts, then let him think he is wonderful, we know different.
Old 23-10-2013, 14:13   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Here’s a scenario to ponder on:
Bright eyed young kids feeding the ducks with Mum sat in her car watching over them. She sees this scruffy old geezer approach her children and try to engage them in conversation.
“Uh Oh” Thinks Mum “I’d better check this old cove out, what with all one reads in the papers about stranger danger and stuff these days”
“Hello Less haven’t seen you for a while, how’s things going”
Aren't you just being a supercilious twit?
Quite disparaging too.
I see the scene in an entirely different perspective....which I think I have explained in my defence of Less.
Tell me, how do you determine who you are speaking to......don' t you look at their face?

A niqab makes it impossible to decide whether the person behind it is a friend or not.
You have dreamed up your scenario to justify your comments.
Old 24-10-2013, 09:46   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Aren't you just being a supercilious twit?
Quite disparaging too.
I see the scene in an entirely different perspective....which I think I have explained in my defence of Less.
Tell me, how do you determine who you are speaking to......don' t you look at their face?

A niqab makes it impossible to decide whether the person behind it is a friend or not.
You have dreamed up your scenario to justify your comments.
I’ll accept twit Margaret in my snarking of Less but no not supercilious.
Less posted about the woman in pejorative terms, now that’s supercilious.
How do I determine who I am speaking to you ask? Voice recognition certainly comes into the equation in many instances.
Old 24-10-2013, 10:03   #11
God Member

Quote:
How do I determine who I am speaking to you ask? Voice recognition certainly comes into the equation in many instances.
Sometimes it would be wise for you to read your post before pressing 'submit reply'.

In this thread you have posted 'impotent Less' and now 'twit Margaret'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 10:47   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
That is how your post comes across.
Sometimes I feel that you consider yourself much superior to us Accyweb 'plebs'......again that is how I perceive these posts....and it isn't an admirable trait and it will not win you any friends....but then maybe you aren't bothered about gaining any Accyweb friends.
Old 24-10-2013, 10:57   #13
Beacon of light

As for Less posting, in what you call 'pejorative' terms....he was expressing an opinion. He is, like all of us, entitled to do this.
It was something to get his point over. The point which seems to have gone right over your head. He was, telling us that he had spoken to this lady in the past...be could recognise her as a neighbour....but could no longer recognise her as she had taken to covering her face.

Anyway, I think Less was right......I am wasting my time, so I will stop now.The sun is shining and a walk along the beach seems much more inviting.
Old 24-10-2013, 19:45   #14

Again I thank you Margaret however may I remind you anything you say to this 'gentleman', is a waste of time?
He has been agin' me from the moment he came on site.
Perhaps he thinks for him to dominate, he has a need to put me down?
I really don't care, I/we/all of us put forward our views.

Does it matter that he spends his time trying to attack me?

Nah, he wastes his time and the words, he looks for in an online Dictionary.
No one talks the way he try's to brag.
Old 24-10-2013, 20:24   #15

Allow him his opinion, without it he will be as mediocre as the rest of us.

In all honesty for the site to survive, we all need criticism, just a shame, he only wants it to survive to prove how clever he is.

Now, ignoring him, hands up everyone that would like to go back to everyone joining in an anything goes thread that is stupid, but getting 20 odd posts per hour ?

This site used to be friendly and silly, no one was frightened of posting any kind of comment.

Now, well, we can see how it's ended up.

Cheers DtheP you have helped the site become unfriendly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..