Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 21:20   #46
Beacon of light

Re: The Countdowns on

Not keen on cooked birds of any description....and it isn't because I can't cook them.
Just don't like the taste. We will be having a tender bit of Roast beef...with my light as a feather Yorkshire puds.......might do some sprouts, buttered carrots, roast potatoes done on goose fat........mmmm, it is making me slaver just thinking about it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14   #47
Resting in Peace

There is only two of us on Christmas day and we normally have chicken
but getting fed up with it so decided to have something totally different we or should i say i will be having Lobster home cooked with sauteed potatoes and asparagus
sweet we will be having home made by me a Chocolate ganache and orange gateau
with cream.
And yes Margaret i always do the cooking and washing up
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34   #48
Beacon of light

Yes Mick, I know you are great one in the kitchen....and in days gone by I would have been outside your door for a slice of that chocolate/orange gateau....but these days I have quite gone off chocolate....I'm sure it will be lovely...and the be plates licked clean....... no need to wash up then is there
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes Mick, I know you are great one in the kitchen....and in days gone by I would have been outside your door for a slice of that chocolate/orange gateau....but these days I have quite gone off chocolate....I'm sure it will be lovely...and the be plates licked clean....... no need to wash up then is there
Yes he is good, I bet your a little suprised that I knew what was wrong with the cooking.
In actual fact when the family was around me I used to do the Christmas roast, even to this day my ex wife can be heard to say,
"Les' always gave me a really good goose every Christmas!".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 14:27   #50
Beacon of light

No Less, not surprised at all. I have been told that you are a man of many talents.

Most people can learn anything if they need to, and put their mind to it.

I am purposely not mentioning the goose...damn...see what you made me do
Old 11-12-2011, 16:40   #51
Resting In Peace

Just been looking through some photos I took last year and thought you'd like to know that Santa's reindeer are very laid back... three of them went camping in a rather nice bell tent and another opted for a seaside holiday away from it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reindeer1.JPG (71.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Reindeer2.JPG (17.6 KB, 8 views)
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:20   #52
God Member

Sweet creatures reindeer - it looks quite bleak where they live though...

I know that they eat them too, did you try any reindeer meat Sue -don't think i'd have the courage...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:42   #53
God Member

Venison is delicious.
At one time I used to get a whole carcass delivered, butcher it myself and freeze it.

I had a seperate 10ft freezer just to store wild meat because that exhusband I had would only eat wild meat, and wildfowl have 'seasons' so stocking up for 'out of season' was essential.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:56   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Venison is delicious.
I have tried it once but find it too rich...

I don't like anything gamey really - I can be quite faddy.

The one time I had a Griffin society dinner at The House of Lords they served Quail as the main course - didn't even try to eat it...poor little birdies

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-12-2011, 15:09   #55
God Member

Quail is 'farmed' and doesn't have a 'season'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 15:16   #56
God Member

Quote:
Quail is 'farmed' and doesn't have a 'season'
Here they serve them roasted with a saffron risotto - i just have the risotto!

Have tried wild boar - a guy on the farm hunts it in the hills near Piacenza -too strong flavoured for me. Same thing with hare and pheasant, just as well i wasn't born into the Landed gentry or the huntin' fishin' set!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-12-2011, 15:20   #57
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sweet creatures reindeer - it looks quite bleak where they live though...

I know that they eat them too, did you try any reindeer meat Sue -don't think i'd have the courage...
Looks better when it's covered in snow! The lone reindeer pic was taken on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen only 600 miles from the north pole.The others were at the North Cape of Norway. We visited a Sami (Lapp) camp and saw a tame-ish onewith its minder also a fine collection of discarded antlers, pics attached.

Quote:
Venison is delicious.
At one time I used to get a whole carcass delivered, butcher it myself and freeze it.

I had a seperate 10ft freezer just to store wild meat because that exhusband I had would only eat wild meat, and wildfowl have 'seasons' so stocking up for 'out of season' was essential.
Don't think I've ever eaten reindeer but wouldn't refuse it if it was offered. Have had reindeer salami which was very rich and gamy. When we lived in the country we occasionally got deer that had been killed by cars. My Richard used to butcher them himself and we bought an extra freezer. We had hare too sometimes, also pheasant, all roadkill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reindeer3.JPG (71.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Reindeer4.JPG (82.8 KB, 4 views)
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:06   #58
God Member

Norway is on my list of places to see - did you see the Northern lights and the midnight sun? Would love to see the fjords too....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-12-2011, 19:14   #59
Beacon of light

I have tried Kangaroo, and crocodile....didn't like the Kangaroo......it was so rare that when I tried to cut it, it said 'ow'....a good vet with an electric probe could have got it going again. Didn't like it but my husband cajoled me into trying it.
The crocodile was farmed, and tasted like chicken(which is what it had been fed on)...but it was chewier....wouldn't choose to eat it again.

I am very reticent to try new things. I would rather be shot than poisoned.
Old 12-12-2011, 19:31   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have tried Kangaroo, and crocodile....didn't like the Kangaroo......it was so rare that when I tried to cut it, it said 'ow'....a good vet with an electric probe could have got it going again. Didn't like it but my husband cajoled me into trying it.
The crocodile was farmed, and tasted like chicken(which is what it had been fed on)...but it was chewier....wouldn't choose to eat it again.

I am very reticent to try new things. I would rather be shot than poisoned.
I am also unwilling to try certain things - my husband loves Ostrich meat but I won't touch it with a barge pole.

I won't eat rabbit as i had one as a child. Horse meat is like cannibalism. Have tried frog's legs and snails but wouldn't pay to eat them. The taste of goat -either meat or the cheese makes me throw up (literally in an embarassing way!)

You were brave having kangaroo and croc -i wouldn't have eaten them...

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..