Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04   #1
Junior Member+

The Great Iphone upgrade debacle

Yesterday Morning I received a SMS from O2 telling me I could upgrade my Iphone and to go to the web site, which I did at 8:20.

When I could get the pages to download (rarely) I had to fill out First Name, Sir Name,Account Number, Phone Number, Address, Tariff, and Credit Card Details. Once Submitted I got "error please try again", which meant I had to try to download the form again and completely fill in the form again ( Aaaarrrgggghhh).

I carried this on to 13:30 at which time I had to give up so I could earn some money to pay for the anger therapy I am going to require.

When I returned to my PC at 15:00 I am presented with an out of stock screen.

OH Deep Joy

Point 1
O2 sold all the I phones in the UK so they knew how many were out there and therefore roughly how many would want to upgrade to the new improved version, so why were they so woefully unprepared.

Point 2
Why did I have to fill a stupid form with all my details all they needed was my Account number and Phone number.

Point 3
They could have sent a Text saying if you want to upgrade please reply to this text with yes.

Why do British companies continually make cock ups like this, are they all run by toddlers like on the Toilet tissue advert

Sorry about the rant but it feels better now I have it off my chest, thanks for listening
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34   #2
God Member

Re: The Great Iphone upgrade debacle

serves you right for wanting one of teh overpriced over hyped piles of tat

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are you sure it was an O2 website or have you just given your credit card details to a spammer?

I would phone O2 straight away and check in case you need to cancel your credit card before you owe thousands.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
serves you right for wanting one of teh overpriced over hyped piles of tat
I thought you said

Quote:
3G iPhone would be good if it had a decent camera(i.e. over 2M and a flash at very least) and Bluetooth.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49   #5
God Member

exactly, for a phone without a decent camera, bluetooth its an overpriced piece of tat!

Add no MMS, and for me the ability to install lots and lots of 3rd party apps.

It could be a killer device if apple went in there at teh leading edge and didn't charge 4x what the opposition do

Old 08-07-2008, 11:18   #6
Junior Member+

Quote:
exactly, for a phone without a decent camera, bluetooth its an overpriced piece of tat!

Add no MMS, and for me the ability to install lots and lots of 3rd party apps.

It could be a killer device if apple went in there at teh leading edge and didn't charge 4x what the opposition do
Thats why I wanted the new one, 3G GPS

And the softwere that launches on 11th July has 3rd Party apps plus a lot of added features.

theres an App called l Sabar that uses the motin sensors to turn your Iphone into a light saber, how cools that

Personally I dont care about the camara Ive got one of them thats far better than any phone.
Old 08-07-2008, 16:31   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Apple have also released the development software so you can write your own apps for the iPhone. If you have a Mac that is as it only runs on a Mac.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:24   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISparky View Post
Thats why I wanted the new one, 3G GPS

And the softwere that launches on 11th July has 3rd Party apps plus a lot of added features.

theres an App called l Sabar that uses the motin sensors to turn your Iphone into a light saber, how cools that

Personally I dont care about the camara Ive got one of them thats far better than any phone.
So you are getting a 'new' phone that does what an N95 did >18 months ago. The light saber app was out about 12 months ago on Symbian In fact there are now quite a few appps and games making use of the accelerometers. Considering they were only put in to allow the camera EXIF data to record orientation I reckon Nokia stumbled on something far above what they could have imagined!

the old 'i've got a proper camera' argument is fine apart from the fact that 99.999% of people don't carry their proper camera with them all the time. having a good camera on my phone has got me numerous pictures that I quite simply wouldn't have if it was down to using my proper camera. IMHO it would have cost next to nowt and taken minimum work to upgrade this component to a 5M one. what is really happening is that Apple are purposely 'holding back' stuff so they can sell you iPhone 3 next year(oo look, its now got a decent camera! and you can bluetooth stuff as well!). IMHO I don't like companies that are effectively and publicly screwing me for as much money as they possibly can.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:01   #9
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
IMHO I don't like companies that are effectively and publicly screwing me for as much money as they possibly can.
With the iphone, you are paying for the software more so than the hardware.

The ui is far better than anything available elsewhere. You as a tinkerer enjoy spending time messing about getting this and that to work. The iphone lets none tinkerers have a decent gadget without all the messing about. As an ex tinkerer, now converted to non tinkering and trying to have a life outside of tinkering, the iphone is a fantastic piece of kit. As is OSX, as is Apple stuff in general. Yes its more expensive, yes it isn't always the latest greatest hardware, but god dam, the software is amazing.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18   #10
God Member

Comment I read elsewhere which I pretty much agree with.

Quote:
iPhone UI is 1 year ahead of the competition, hardware is 18 months behind.
It will be interesting to see that the Apple Store does for available software, Nokia have MOSH and Download! as similar tools and they do work very well. I would say Nokia don't 'push' this part of the N series anywhere near enough. Itsprobably due to being so far in front for so long they might be resting on laurels a little too much. Hopefully Apple will give them some vigour in bringing this to life.

You yourself know I like Apple kit for its general stability etc, its just too damn expensive for what you get. Maybe its due to being brought up with no money and I'm too 'tight' to see past it

To be fair I don't tinker too much with my phone, I download apps directly onto it over wifi using the above tools and it just installs them. no mess no fuss. I am a power user of my phone though and push it to the limits of whatever it can do. I'm 'interested' in new technology and how it can make my life easier, Nokia offer that in spades, Apple offer me a pretty screen.

Don't get me wrong. There are a heck of a lot of people who the iPhone is perfect for. My issue is the whole "its the best phone in the world" crap, cause it aint.

come on, how about this for a glaring mistake, one of its whole reasons of living is as a fashionable music tool, so why no A2DP bluetooth headphone support?????? what could be 'cooler' than listening to the music of your funky iphone on funky wireless headphones?

Old 11-07-2008, 14:37   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
So you are getting a 'new' phone that does what an N95 did >18 months ago. The light saber app was out about 12 months ago on Symbian In fact there are now quite a few appps and games making use of the accelerometers. Considering they were only put in to allow the camera EXIF data to record orientation I reckon Nokia stumbled on something far above what they could have imagined!
I bet the N95 apps really work well, in between crashes and for the 4 or 5 minutes the battery last. They did on the one I had.... well until it locked up one to many times at which point its accelerometer broke when the phone hit the wall
Old 11-07-2008, 15:01   #12
God Member

Yawn,
so the ~15 million N95s out there are all so unreliable, battery sucking monsters are they.

Yep, that'll be teh case then...

They are powerful smartphones and teh industry accepted 'acceptable battery life' is a full day of good use. then you charge it overnight. In reality I used to get 2 days out of my 95, 2-3 out of my 80. my e90 is doing 3-4 days out of a full charge atm and thats using it a lot as its still a new gadget.

In > 2 years of Symbian ownership I've probably had to reset my phones about 4 or 5 times and usually due to me doing something silly.

If you had a dodgy one then fine but don't tar 15 million handsets with your 'experiences'.

I've got an e90 at the moment and its a proper nice piece of kit. Its not something that will ever be mass market but for people like me( power user who will accept its size because I want a proper keyboard) its totally awesome. The internal screen is stunning and the range of software mind blowing.

So managed to get your 3G iPhone yet? Or did you get stuck in teh shop due to teh systems all breaking down

Old 11-07-2008, 23:09   #13
Junior Member+

OK I get it now its ok to have a go at people who like Apple but don't have a go at Nokia fans.

I have always used nokia up to the N95, in fact I think the 6300 is one of the best phones about, its just a good phone that doesn't try to be something else.

No I haven't got the Iphone yet but thats mostly cos I had to take a business trip so I'm not in the country at the moment. down loaded the new software though, currently plying with my Isaber, cool .....I know Sad
Old 12-07-2008, 09:38   #14
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
See that bit up there where i say i like Apple kit.........

As also said before the iPhone will suit a lot of people. Its just flawed in so many areas, the bluetooth a2dp issue being a prime exmple
Old 12-07-2008, 17:24   #15

Quote:
Yawn,
If you had a dodgy one then fine but don't tar 15 million handsets with your 'experiences'.
Like you do with Microsoft ?

The N95 is a battery sucking beast allright. As for charging every day what industry standard are you mentioning there ? The I`ll only send one email and take one phone call a day standard ? I switched everything off on the N95 and got a couple of days, any serious use and its down in 5 hours.Nokia`s firmware "fix" didnt exactly resolve a lot of problems for everyone either did it.

As for having a "dodgy" one I wasnt alone. And I do mean a lot of people saying the same.

The iphone is lacking a couple of features for exactly the point you mention. Why put it all in now, keep adding bits as they go. Makes Apple money, which is what they are business for. However it`s not the device, but the buzz that goes with it. Its a great marketing scheme and shows how companies should be selling products to make money (Bye Bye Motorola). Everyone wants something different from a phone, and the major feedback Apple had wasn`t add a camera, it was add more email options...So thats what they did

Last edited by banjoman; 12-07-2008 at 17:25. Reason: typo
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..