Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2005, 08:15   #1
Resting in Peace

What do you use YOUR SHED for ?

Women turf men out of garden sheds

CREEPING egalitarianism has knocked another rusty nail into the smoothly sanded timber of the male ego. The garden shed, once an exclusively male domain, is being colonised by women.

A survey of 1,000 adults has found that 40 per cent of women now regard their garden shed as a space where they can “do their own thing”, compared with only 38 per cent of men.

The news may strike fear into those men brought up to believe in the shed as the male bolthole but, to many women, it will make perfect sense. If they are living and working more like men, they might as well start pottering about like them, too. This move reflects the growing popularity of home improvement and DIY as a hobby for both sexes, encouraged by television makeover programmes, and the trend for sheds to be elevated to become extra living spaces in their own right.

NI_MPU('middle');Tom Greatrex, of the Future Laboratory, a market research company that conducted the research for Standard Life bank, said that the increased interest in sheds also reflects developments in the world of interiors and architectural design.

Sheds were becoming lean-to bars, baroque entertainment dens, meditation rooms, miniature spas, even offices and studios, he said.

“‘Shedites’ are using their sheds as a means to extend their property without the need for planning permission or remodelling, creating an alternative entertainment space housing home theatres, galleries and bars,” Mr Greatrex said.

“We’re seeing a move away from the open-plan space and a return to creating dens, ‘ideas pits’ and boltholes. There is a recession round the corner that we’re preparing to weather out in the comfort of our own homes and also in the increasingly comfort of our garden sheds.”

As the role of the shed expanded, it was only natural that its appeal should expand to include more women, he added.

More than 1½ million sheds were built in Britain last year and a well-kept shed can add as much as 5 per cent to the value of a property, according to the British Institute of Surveys. The online insurance firm Esure has even gone so far as to say: “The garden shed is the must-have accessory for the modern home.”

B&Q, the home-improvement retailer, confirmed that sales had risen by 40 per cent in the past two years. Lorian Coutts, of B&Q, said: “With women acting as the major catalysts and decision makers behind many home improvement projects, we are not surprised by this trend, especially as the range of products encompasses sophisticated garden buildings with a range of luxury features.

“The new generation of garden buildings, some of which even include built-in barbecues or saunas, provide a comfortable space for all the family to enjoy.” She added that they were a good way to expand a home because planning permission was seldom needed. Sheds range in price from £99 for a standard 6ft x 4ft timber box with a solid sheet floor and roof to £2,200 for a 12ft x 8ft summer house with glazed windows, double doors and window boxes

Last edited by Mick; 24-03-2005 at 08:19.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2005, 15:58   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: What do you use YOUR SHED for ?

Our shed is a kitchen extension. The kitchen itself is far too small to hold everything so the shed is the overspill.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 17:38   #3

I make sure that I never ever disturb the spiders webs in my shed. They have been intact for over 12 years now and consequently some of the spiders are gigantic. This stops my wife from even attempting to intrude on what has always been and should always remain adomain for the man of the house and carefully selected invited guests ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 18:01   #4
God Member

he he he in a housefull of women our Dad was relegated to the shed but don't anybody feel sorry for him, he had all the mod cons in there stereo, T.V. and his CB set-up, that was his place and the same applied with him only selective guests were allowed in or taking him a brew out could gain you access for a few minutes lol.
Old 25-03-2005, 18:26   #5
Len
God Member

That sounds very familiar. I once had a similar set-up and not everyone was allowed in only the tea lady. hehe

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...50&postcount=2

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 19:23   #6

I find it very sad that any man in his own inpenetrable domain with none of the other gender around would need anyone to bring them tea. A fridge is far more important in the shed than a tv. what was he thinking about.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 18:28   #7

I use my shed as a summer house and a small house when my parents have a lot of guests
its really cool i even have a bed and a tv in it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..