Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Jobs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f72/)
-   -   Building work (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f72/building-work-7144.html)

carole 06-01-2005 10:27

Building work

We currently have plans in with HBC for a basement conversion. I have contacted various builders to do the work, but no-one has kept the appointment!
Is there anyone out there who can help me with this? It will require plumbers and electricians also, so i guess someone who has access to all the trades is what I need.
If you know of anyone, please PM me or jelly baby.
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole

mani 09-01-2005 17:50

Re: Building work

carole

i know how u feel

i've been lookin for builders myself and the ones that show up clearly have a lack of work and a thinkin for a huge bill...

the ones that i do get thru to - just say they are too too busy

rockrabbit 09-01-2005 19:34

im a qualified plumber and bricky but now doing stone masonry but know quite a few builders and most will cost quite a bit as any decent ones are fairly busy you could try cooksons or mark hannon in ossy

jelly baby 10-01-2005 09:25

Thanks for the commennts. I will pass them on to Carole when next we speak.

park381 15-01-2005 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by carole
We currently have plans in with HBC for a basement conversion. I have contacted various builders to do the work, but no-one has kept the appointment!
Is there anyone out there who can help me with this? It will require plumbers and electricians also, so i guess someone who has access to all the trades is what I need.
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole

What's the estimated cost of the project, think 1st step would be to draw up a short "spec" then you could give copy to each builder, that way all contractors would be pricing the same details, this way you you know you have a fair price for the project. And don't forget the new "Section P" of the building regs, mind you building control will be aware of it, and enforce it.

Bazf 15-01-2005 15:29

I know a good plumbing firm who work with builders etc based in Ossy 01254-385595, ask forJanet.

jelly baby 31-01-2005 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381
What's the estimated cost of the project, think 1st step would be to draw up a short "spec" then you could give copy to each builder, that way all contractors would be pricing the same details, this way you you know you have a fair price for the project. And don't forget the new "Section P" of the building regs, mind you building control will be aware of it, and enforce it.

Carole has passed a copy of the plans to one particular firm, their estimate was an incredible £69K!!!!!
The firm is in Cheshire and he kept rattling on about how this work would add about 30% to the value of the property.
He said they had done the same sort of job on a similar property in Altringham and it had been recently valued at over £300K.
We think that he was confused, Altringham....Accrington?? Easily done, I guess! lol
Since it's only a basement conversion in a terraced house we're talking about it was decided to decline his offer to start work asap.

Poodle 31-01-2005 17:38

i couldnt find me a builder either so i have one drive over from keighley everyday did my extension, doing my kitchen atm then will be doing my bathroom.

mani 13-02-2005 22:07

69k?!

wow

any luck yet carole?

carole 14-02-2005 09:37

None at all!.

Still trying to get builders to come round and give us an estimate.
The idea is that my mother in law will come and live here, she's an elderly widow and lives in Mansfield at the mo and is starting to become a bit frail, 2 replaced hips,(one has popped out twice) cataracts, usual old age stuff. We want to make the basement into a fully self-contained flat so she can do her own thing and we will be on hand to help her if she gets into difficulties instead of racing down to Mansfield,
So, any builders out there, get in touch asap.

Carole

carole 14-02-2005 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodle
i couldnt find me a builder either so i have one drive over from keighley everyday did my extension, doing my kitchen atm then will be doing my bathroom.

Are you happy with his work and if so could you let me have his number?
Do you think he would be willing to come and do an estimate for me?

siliconbox 22-02-2005 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by carole
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole

Hi im Bob i am a builder living in the accrington area and may be interested in this job, please call me on 07812998781 thankyou.