Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27   #1
Junior Member+

Unhappy Building work

We currently have plans in with HBC for a basement conversion. I have contacted various builders to do the work, but no-one has kept the appointment!
Is there anyone out there who can help me with this? It will require plumbers and electricians also, so i guess someone who has access to all the trades is what I need.
If you know of anyone, please PM me or jelly baby.
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2005, 17:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Building work

carole

i know how u feel

i've been lookin for builders myself and the ones that show up clearly have a lack of work and a thinkin for a huge bill...

the ones that i do get thru to - just say they are too too busy
Old 09-01-2005, 19:34   #3

im a qualified plumber and bricky but now doing stone masonry but know quite a few builders and most will cost quite a bit as any decent ones are fairly busy you could try cooksons or mark hannon in ossy
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:25   #4

Thanks for the commennts. I will pass them on to Carole when next we speak.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 08:48   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole
We currently have plans in with HBC for a basement conversion. I have contacted various builders to do the work, but no-one has kept the appointment!
Is there anyone out there who can help me with this? It will require plumbers and electricians also, so i guess someone who has access to all the trades is what I need.
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole
What's the estimated cost of the project, think 1st step would be to draw up a short "spec" then you could give copy to each builder, that way all contractors would be pricing the same details, this way you you know you have a fair price for the project. And don't forget the new "Section P" of the building regs, mind you building control will be aware of it, and enforce it.
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 15:29   #6
Senior Member+

I know a good plumbing firm who work with builders etc based in Ossy 01254-385595, ask forJanet.

Last edited by Bazf; 15-01-2005 at 15:30.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:56   #7

Exclamation Re: Building work

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
What's the estimated cost of the project, think 1st step would be to draw up a short "spec" then you could give copy to each builder, that way all contractors would be pricing the same details, this way you you know you have a fair price for the project. And don't forget the new "Section P" of the building regs, mind you building control will be aware of it, and enforce it.
Carole has passed a copy of the plans to one particular firm, their estimate was an incredible £69K!!!!!
The firm is in Cheshire and he kept rattling on about how this work would add about 30% to the value of the property.
He said they had done the same sort of job on a similar property in Altringham and it had been recently valued at over £300K.
We think that he was confused, Altringham....Accrington?? Easily done, I guess! lol
Since it's only a basement conversion in a terraced house we're talking about it was decided to decline his offer to start work asap.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 17:38   #8

i couldnt find me a builder either so i have one drive over from keighley everyday did my extension, doing my kitchen atm then will be doing my bathroom.
Old 13-02-2005, 22:07   #9
Senior Member+

69k?!

wow

any luck yet carole?
Old 14-02-2005, 09:37   #10
Junior Member+

Angry Re: Building work

None at all!.

Still trying to get builders to come round and give us an estimate.
The idea is that my mother in law will come and live here, she's an elderly widow and lives in Mansfield at the mo and is starting to become a bit frail, 2 replaced hips,(one has popped out twice) cataracts, usual old age stuff. We want to make the basement into a fully self-contained flat so she can do her own thing and we will be on hand to help her if she gets into difficulties instead of racing down to Mansfield,
So, any builders out there, get in touch asap.

Carole
Old 14-02-2005, 09:40   #11
Junior Member+

Question Re: Building work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
i couldnt find me a builder either so i have one drive over from keighley everyday did my extension, doing my kitchen atm then will be doing my bathroom.
Are you happy with his work and if so could you let me have his number?
Do you think he would be willing to come and do an estimate for me?
Old 22-02-2005, 20:51   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole
Thanks in anticipation.
Carole
Hi im Bob i am a builder living in the accrington area and may be interested in this job, please call me on 07812998781 thankyou.
siliconbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..