Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2007, 14:15   #1
God Member

Arts in Health

Mid Pennine Arts is co-ordinating a scheme to develop four pieces of public art to be situated in the new health centres in Accrington and are asking professional artists to submit ideas. To get the full detail of all of the briefs and the information that is required to accompany any designs people must download the correct documents on http://www.midpenninearts.org.uk/Liftbriefs.htm

Background.

East Lancashire PCT (Primary Care Trust) is one of two PCTs within East Lancashire. As a health community, East Lancashire is a 2nd wave LIFT (Local Improvement Finance Trust) site.

Hyndburn Borough includes two priority LIFT schemes, which are currently in
development: Paradise Street and Blackburn Road.

The proposal is to ensure that these flag ship, public buildings are centres of excellence for public art and that the internal and external spaces enhance the experiences of staff and visitors.

The Hyndburn Arts for Health LIFT Project has already engaged with local communities during construction to encourage ownership. Using a programme of community based Arts & Health activities to address local health issues and to promote the new centres and the services available.

The Lift project is a scheme to place four new pieces of public art in the two new health centres, two pieces in each one.
Paradise Street is one of the new primary care facilities and will cover 4,500 sqm, over three and a half floors. The Steering group and Mid Pennine Arts (MPA) would like to commission a permanent public art installation/piece, to be installed in the Atrium space which rises three floors through the heart of the building and a permanent public art installation/piece, to be sited within Courtyard 1 outside the new building.

Blackburn Road is the other new primary care facilities and will cover 4,000 sqm.
The Steering group and Mid Pennine Arts would like to commission a permanent public art installation/piece, to be sited within the community square outside the new building and a permanent public art installation/piece, to be sited in the main foyer / waiting area of the new building.

Download all relevant details for each scheme by visiting http://www.midpenninearts.org.uk/Liftbriefs.htm.
Please be aware of the deadlines on each brief as they are on a very tight schedule.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2007, 14:32   #2
God Member

Re: Arts in Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The proposal is to ensure that these flag ship, public buildings are centres of excellence for public art and that the internal and external spaces enhance the experiences of staff and visitors.
Yet another waste of money. These public buildings should surely be centres of excellence for medicine, the experiences of staff and visitors being enhanced by knowing they have received the correct and most effective treatment. No amount of artwork will compensate for a misdiagnosis or the wrong drug being prescribed.

PS
One would have thought midpenninearts.org.uk may have known that flagship is all one word.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 14:39   #3
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The Steering group and Mid Pennine Arts (MPA) would like to commission a permanent public art installation/piece, to be installed in the Atrium space which rises three floors through the heart of the building and a permanent public art installation/piece, to be sited within Courtyard 1 outside the new building.
That indoor one sounds like the ideal location for the Arndale Clock!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 15:23   #4
Always EVIL within us

As you have started this thread in "Accrington Jobs" Gayle, do I assume that you are inviting Accyweb members to come up with a design? If so, I will dig out the lego bricks

Considering the cost of those unnamable things that you were a party to in the past couple of years, how can you expect a professional artist/designer to come up with an impressive design AND build it for just £3000-00??

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating spending MORE money on statues or so-called works of art - but you ain't gonna get much for 3 grand!!

I would much rather see the money used to streamline the service to customers but I am sure you will probably tell us that the funding is not our money, it is coming from central government

I am sure that the walls will be decorated with soothing framed prints, just out of curiosity, who would pay for those? They would just cost as much - and would not need committees and sub-sub committees to appropriate funds.
Old 15-07-2007, 15:58   #5
God Member

I have put it on here because it is my job to make sure that as many people as possible are aware of opportunities. For all I know there are professional architects and artists who read this who might be interested in the opportunity.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 17:08   #6
Senior Member+

The money set aside for these pieces will be allocated for just that and won't be transferrable; Gayle has posted on here to make us all aware of this opportunity and all she gets back is the usual nonsense; if you aren't interested in it, don't reply BUT for pity's sake don't have a go at her for posting !
Old 15-07-2007, 17:21   #7
Resident Waffler

I'm being perfectly serious Lindsay. When we were discussing the demise of the Arndale clock our main problem was not having a suitable location, under cover, with enough height.

Now this atrium is an open space, under cover and with more than enough height, going by the artists impression, to accommodate the clock. I think it would be lovely to kill two birds with one stone.

Old 15-07-2007, 17:38   #8
Senior Member+

I wasn't referring to your suggestion Willow; although I hated that clock anyway and it certainly wasn't art or even tuneful. What I meant was that every time Gayle puts anything on here certain people shoot her down for ostensibly doing her job. It's not Gayle who hands out these random amounts of money and if we didn't have the benefit of her knowledge on here raising these points we would be the first to complain. If some "art " arrived in one of the health centres that we didn't like, we would be up in arms saying " a local artist should have had the chance " etc etc.
Old 15-07-2007, 20:47   #9
Resident Waffler

£3,000 doesn't sound like much to tempt a professional artist though does it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..