Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59   #1
Senior Member+

bar work

does anyone know where there might be some bar work going in the accrington area in the evenings?

I have previous experience behind a bar and would like to earn some extra cash. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2006, 13:41   #2
God Member

Re: bar work

You have tried ringing round teh decent boozers I assume? I'm not sure if I saw a board outside The Park on manchester rd.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 19:05   #3
Senior Member+

There has been a board outside the Park on Manchester Road for the past 2 week saying 'bar staff wanted'.

May be worth a try
buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 20:11   #4
God Member

I know there is a vacancy coming up in the shakers in accy. My mate is leaving in 3 weeks.............but it is quite rowdy in there. Do you prefer quieter pubs?

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 20:12   #5
God Member

I know there is a vacancy coming up in the shakers in accy. My mate is leaving in 3 weeks.............but it is quite rowdy in there. Do you prefer quieter pubs?

Miracles do happen!!

Old 12-01-2006, 20:49   #6
God Member

From someone who worked in a lot of pubs and clubs when I was younger, I'd recommend that you learned how to work a bar in a quieter pub first. Even if you only spend a couple of months there before moving on to somewhere lively or rowdy, it will help enormously.

Sorry, I know you didn't want advice but I couldn't help myself.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 20:51   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
From someone who worked in a lot of pubs and clubs when I was younger, I'd recommend that you learned how to work a bar in a quieter pub first.
sHe said she had experience!!!! Thats why i suggested shakers.

THANKS for the tip HR............hehehehe

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by slinky; 12-01-2006 at 21:22.
Old 12-01-2006, 20:56   #8
God Member

Ooops - sorry, I blasted in. Well, if he's already had experience then go for the rowdy one it's much more fun.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 21:10   #9
God Member

Hee hee and HE happens to be a SHE ha ha and yes I do know she has worked behind a bar before

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 14:00   #10
Give, give, give member

Should see her handle a load of York fans when she's stewarding at Stanley.

Rowdy or quiet, good luck Sparkie.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 14:32   #11

Thumbs down Re: bar work

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum
There has been a board outside the Park on Manchester Road for the past 2 week saying 'bar staff wanted'.

May be worth a try
Unfortunately, the job at the Park is not just for a bar person, they expect you to run the bar single handedly, clean all the shelves, stock up, change barrels, empty ashtrays etc.this wouldn't be so bad if the landlord/lady actually did any work themselves, but they are either in the back asleep/watching tv/messing on computer, or perched at the end of the bar smoking and drinking. I have loads of experience of bar work, but never have I worked for such lazy individuals. They give absolutely no support to their staff at all. This is the reason that the 'bar staff wanted' is permanently outside!!

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 14:26   #12
God Member

Staggers, You been teaching other landlords your tricks?

TBH, When I worked the pub/retaurant game these were the sort of jobs we expected Bar staff to do(except maybe changing barrels). I'd also add cleaning all optics, mirrors behind the bar, empty and clean the fridges etc. You aren't just there to serve the drinks you know. As for landlords not helping you there is a lot more to running a pub than most people think. I did it for nearly 8 years and unless its my last option I won't be going back thanks. When a landlord pays you to work it is costing them money out of their pocket. In this case if I was paying someone to do that work I too would make the most of the time. It is a long time since a landlord could afford to pay someone to run the pub 7 days a week without doing any of the work themselves.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 11:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Staggers, You been teaching other landlords your tricks?

TBH, When I worked the pub/retaurant game these were the sort of jobs we expected Bar staff to do(except maybe changing barrels). I'd also add cleaning all optics, mirrors behind the bar, empty and clean the fridges etc. You aren't just there to serve the drinks you know. As for landlords not helping you there is a lot more to running a pub than most people think. I did it for nearly 8 years and unless its my last option I won't be going back thanks. When a landlord pays you to work it is costing them money out of their pocket. In this case if I was paying someone to do that work I too would make the most of the time. It is a long time since a landlord could afford to pay someone to run the pub 7 days a week without doing any of the work themselves.
I have no objection to cleaning the things you mention, but when the landlord is stood at the end of the bar watching a queue form for drinks, and the phone rings and he tuts and says 'are you answering that or what?' it becomes a bit of a joke, added to that he spends as much time as possible telling anyone who will listen that they are losing money hand over fist yet thinks nothing of covering every shift with staff, (even at the quietest times) and then putting a sign on the door saying they won't be opening 'til 3pm Mon - Fri as they are trying to save on gas and electric!
I agree that its not easy to run a pub, but I would expect to assist the landlord not do his job for him as was required at the Park.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 18:16   #14
Senior Member+

Hi guys sorry I haven't been back to you sooner. thanks for all your help. I've rung round quite a few of the local boozers but without much success. I'll keep trying many thanks.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 13:10   #15
I am Banned

i know this is out your way but the place i work are after bar staff, but its in blackburn in a nightclub??
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..