Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2006, 18:54   #1
Senior Member+

Electrician

hi i am leaving school soon and i am looking for someone/company to take me on as an apprentice electrician i have applyed to accrington college but they have pulled the course out so i am now aplying for blackburn, i have sent letters out but no reply from them

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2006, 19:29   #2
I am Band

Re: Electrician

If you are serious about becoming an electrician and wish to follow an industry recognised apprenticeship, Training 2000 on Harwood St in Blackburn, (near to the Tesco), run courses every year with placements in local companies. Take a look at their website. The relevant information you will need is here: http://www.t2k.org.uk/
The engineering company that a few of us on Accyweb work for recruits electrical and mechanical apprentices via this organisation.
Be quick about it though, because they are recruiting now. May I suggest that you get a contact telephone number from the website then give them a ring tomorrow to ask what their requirements for enrolement are and whether they still have placements available. Show plenty of enthusiasm if you contact them; it counts as much as qualifications at this stage of career hunting.

If you contact them, let us know how you fare.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 19:46   #3
Senior Member+

they dont so electrical instillation

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 20:59   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM
they dont so electrical instillation
Now isn't that strange, I know sparks and I know he wouldn't point you in the wrong direction, he was an old man in electrickery when my son went through that centre.
If sparks says it's so, usually it's so, perhaps you're asking under the wrong title?
Sparky will tell you that Roy at the beginning couldn't tell his amps from his electrons!
But with help has moved on nicely. (it does involve work),

Check again, and o.k. they might not do Electrical installation, (what exactly do you mean by that? domestic or industrial?), but they may run a parallel course that will with effort on your part put you where you want to be.

Good luck with your search, it is a good trade to enter.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:11   #5
Junior Member+

domestic electrician is easy, when you go into industrial electrician , thats a different kettle of fish, i was an apprentice electrician and i did all aspects of domestic,industrial and commercial and i loved it. would say it is a very good trade to be in.

http://www.acidtech.co.uk
acidtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:52   #6
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM
hi yeh i am sure i want to be on i am on traing 2000 on the apply online form and they dont do electricial instillation
From your reply, I have managed to decipher that you have only looked online at Training 2000's website, to assume that they don't do electrical installation courses. Please refer to my previous reply to your question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
May I suggest that you get a contact telephone number from the website then give them a ring tomorrow to ask what their requirements for enrolement are and whether they still have placements available. Show plenty of enthusiasm if you contact them; it counts as much as qualifications at this stage of career hunting.
The advice was put to you on a plate. You cannot find out all the details, or sell yourself as a prospective student/apprentice by clicking on a website.
Ring them up, ask to speak to the person that is in charge of the electrical engineering, and ask to arrange a meeting or interview with them. For the price of a phone call, a bus fare and a couple of hours of your time, you could find it most worthwhile. Even if this proves fruitless, it will give you valuable experience of interviews and talking to potential employers.

As far as I'm aware, Blackburn College no longer teaches engineering apprentices ONC and HNC Electrical & Electronic Engineering. This role has now been taken over by Training 2000, of Harwood St., Blackburn. I know of this because the engineering company that I work for currently has two electrical apprentices being nurtured by Training 2000. One is sitting the HNC course, on a day release basis; the younger one is about to complete his first year of foundation training, which is completed full time for twelve months at Training 2000's headquarters.

What GCSE's are you studying? You will probably need passes in English, Maths and Science to follow the ONC and HNC courses. They may also do City & Guilds Electrical Installation courses, where the qualification requirements are not has high.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:24   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Good luck with your apprenticeship hunt MCR. Sparks is right, you will need to do far more than click on a website to be worthy of the job. You need to phone them and ask what the requirements are and make sure that you have those requirements... My friends son has just got an apprenticeship in electrical engineering, he leaves school this year and starts his apprenticeship in September. In order to get it he had to work every weekend doing a part time course in order to have the right qualifications. He showed that he was willing to work and keen to learn.

Remember that the competition for good jobs and apprenticeship places is very stiff. You have to show initiative, be presentable not only in your personal attire but in your written work. Above all you need to be keen and ask questions. Sparks has put you on to a website with a telephone number on it. Use that number and start asking questions now before you miss out.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..