Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Old view down Church Street towards Peel Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/old-view-down-church-street-towards-peel-street-2804.html)

Atarah 29-10-2003 10:53

Old view down Church Street towards Peel Street

Bet no one on here remembers this view

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...-churchst1.jpg

janet 29-10-2003 11:05

Re: Old view down Church Street towards Peel Stree

Did you take it yourself atarah. ;D

Tealeaf 29-10-2003 11:23

Anyone notice the horse on the cart on the far right has only got 2 legs?.....funny animals they had in those days.....

Tealeaf 29-10-2003 12:08

I've just seen something else......the two legged horse cart is delivering to the "Working Mens Dining Rooms"....Jam Butties perhaps, for Happyones Grandad?

Lo and behold! Right across the road is the "Victoria Restaurant"...someone's delivering there too....Dodgers for Letties Grandma?

The piccy looks like it's somewhere after 1907 - those appear to be tramline cables in the backgound, and that's when the electrification of the tram system commenced ....

Who say's tealeaf ain't a trainspotter?

Owd Bert 29-10-2003 14:33

Am sure that blurred figure crossing the road is me.
So, Atarah, I suppose you will want more proof before you cough up -- what was the bet by the way ?
O.B.

Owd Bert 03-11-2003 04:20

Just found my old schoolboy diary in the loft -- sure it was me on the way to Bob `Owts in Black Abbey.

TinaDK 13-08-2011 09:28

Re: Old view down Church Street towards Peel Street

Do you still have the picture to repost because I am trying to find old pictures of number 6 Peel Street in the 1880's ?

Atarah 13-08-2011 10:07

Hi, what are you actually after TinaDK. Was it some premises cos maybe the numbers have changed over the years? Let me/us know and we will see what we can come up with.

Atarah 13-08-2011 10:44

1 Attachment(s)
Just looked in yellow pages - the bank in Peel Street is no. 2 (you are after no. 6) - (thats TODAY's numbering system remember) - so, until we find anything different, we will "assume" you are after premises at the TOP end of Peel Street.

Not sure about date of photo, guessing 1950's, but it may give you any idea of how the street once looked. Just realised there is a huge chimney showing, that COULD be Spring Mill, in which case the photo is before 1936

cashman 13-08-2011 11:06

were the tramlines still visible down Peel St in the 50s Atarah? cant remember em.:confused: n i was living on burnley rd just up from Anne Parkins shop at the time, only tramlines visible i can recall, were goin down from the Tramway, behind Fire/Police station.:confused:

Retlaw 13-08-2011 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 926116)
were the tramlines still visible down Peel St in the 50s Atarah? cant remember em.:confused: n i was living on burnley rd just up from Anne Parkins shop at the time, only tramlines visible i can recall, were goin down from the Tramway, behind Fire/Police station.:confused:

Tramlines never went down behind the Fire/Police Station, we had all this on another thread.
In the time when trams came down Manchester Rd, there was an 8ft drop into Grange Lane which was not made up untill the Fire Staiton houses were built in 1934, The Fire Station was opened in May 1935, by then there were no trams running past the Fire Station.
Retlaw.

Bee 14-08-2011 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 926114)
Just looked in yellow pages - the bank in Peel Street is no. 2 (you are after no. 6) - (thats TODAY's numbering system remember) - so, until we find anything different, we will "assume" you are after premises at the TOP end of Peel Street.

Not sure about date of photo, guessing 1950's, but it may give you any idea of how the street once looked. Just realised there is a huge chimney showing, that COULD be Spring Mill, in which case the photo is before 1936

Lancsdave might like that photo:);).

cashman 14-08-2011 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 926131)
Tramlines never went down behind the Fire/Police Station, we had all this on another thread.
In the time when trams came down Manchester Rd, there was an 8ft drop into Grange Lane which was not made up untill the Fire Staiton houses were built in 1934, The Fire Station was opened in May 1935, by then there were no trams running past the Fire Station.
Retlaw.

can remember the other discussion walter, but it dont detract from the fact that the tramtracks seemed to head down yon as yeh left the tramway.:confused:

Retlaw 14-08-2011 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 926316)
can remember the other discussion walter, but it dont detract from the fact that the tramtracks seemed to head down yon as yeh left the tramway.:confused:

Trouble wi thee, is tha sis all suerts o things when thas bin ontut carrot juice, sometimes that carned evun remember which street tharin.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Retlaw.

cashman 14-08-2011 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 926380)
Trouble wi thee, is tha sis all suerts o things when thas bin ontut carrot juice, sometimes that carned evun remember which street tharin.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Retlaw.

Fair comment.:D but i was refering to when i was younger. used to stand in tramway doorhole fer a fag when it was raining,coming down from oakhill.