Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2003, 10:53   #1
Senior Member+

Post Old view down Church Street towards Peel Street

Bet no one on here remembers this view

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2011 at 09:01. Reason: adding link to image
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2003, 11:05   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: Old view down Church Street towards Peel Stree

Did you take it yourself atarah. ;D
Old 29-10-2003, 11:23   #3
God Member

Anyone notice the horse on the cart on the far right has only got 2 legs?.....funny animals they had in those days.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2003, 12:08   #4
God Member

I've just seen something else......the two legged horse cart is delivering to the "Working Mens Dining Rooms"....Jam Butties perhaps, for Happyones Grandad?

Lo and behold! Right across the road is the "Victoria Restaurant"...someone's delivering there too....Dodgers for Letties Grandma?

The piccy looks like it's somewhere after 1907 - those appear to be tramline cables in the backgound, and that's when the electrification of the tram system commenced ....

Who say's tealeaf ain't a trainspotter?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2003, 14:33   #5

Am sure that blurred figure crossing the road is me.
So, Atarah, I suppose you will want more proof before you cough up -- what was the bet by the way ?
O.B.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:20   #6

Just found my old schoolboy diary in the loft -- sure it was me on the way to Bob `Owts in Black Abbey.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:28   #7

Re: Old view down Church Street towards Peel Street

Do you still have the picture to repost because I am trying to find old pictures of number 6 Peel Street in the 1880's ?
TinaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:07   #8
Senior Member+

Hi, what are you actually after TinaDK. Was it some premises cos maybe the numbers have changed over the years? Let me/us know and we will see what we can come up with.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:44   #9
Senior Member+

Just looked in yellow pages - the bank in Peel Street is no. 2 (you are after no. 6) - (thats TODAY's numbering system remember) - so, until we find anything different, we will "assume" you are after premises at the TOP end of Peel Street.

Not sure about date of photo, guessing 1950's, but it may give you any idea of how the street once looked. Just realised there is a huge chimney showing, that COULD be Spring Mill, in which case the photo is before 1936
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950smaybe.jpg (73.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 13-08-2011, 11:06   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

were the tramlines still visible down Peel St in the 50s Atarah? cant remember em. n i was living on burnley rd just up from Anne Parkins shop at the time, only tramlines visible i can recall, were goin down from the Tramway, behind Fire/Police station.
Old 13-08-2011, 12:41   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
were the tramlines still visible down Peel St in the 50s Atarah? cant remember em. n i was living on burnley rd just up from Anne Parkins shop at the time, only tramlines visible i can recall, were goin down from the Tramway, behind Fire/Police station.
Tramlines never went down behind the Fire/Police Station, we had all this on another thread.
In the time when trams came down Manchester Rd, there was an 8ft drop into Grange Lane which was not made up untill the Fire Staiton houses were built in 1934, The Fire Station was opened in May 1935, by then there were no trams running past the Fire Station.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 08:50   #12
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just looked in yellow pages - the bank in Peel Street is no. 2 (you are after no. 6) - (thats TODAY's numbering system remember) - so, until we find anything different, we will "assume" you are after premises at the TOP end of Peel Street.

Not sure about date of photo, guessing 1950's, but it may give you any idea of how the street once looked. Just realised there is a huge chimney showing, that COULD be Spring Mill, in which case the photo is before 1936
Lancsdave might like that photo.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 10:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Tramlines never went down behind the Fire/Police Station, we had all this on another thread.
In the time when trams came down Manchester Rd, there was an 8ft drop into Grange Lane which was not made up untill the Fire Staiton houses were built in 1934, The Fire Station was opened in May 1935, by then there were no trams running past the Fire Station.
Retlaw.
can remember the other discussion walter, but it dont detract from the fact that the tramtracks seemed to head down yon as yeh left the tramway.
Old 14-08-2011, 11:36   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
can remember the other discussion walter, but it dont detract from the fact that the tramtracks seemed to head down yon as yeh left the tramway.
Trouble wi thee, is tha sis all suerts o things when thas bin ontut carrot juice, sometimes that carned evun remember which street tharin.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:48   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Trouble wi thee, is tha sis all suerts o things when thas bin ontut carrot juice, sometimes that carned evun remember which street tharin.

Retlaw.
Fair comment. but i was refering to when i was younger. used to stand in tramway doorhole fer a fag when it was raining,coming down from oakhill.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..