Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   were is this ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/were-is-this-51525.html)

ian1 28-01-2010 19:45

were is this ?

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15550
we been lookin at this pic on the wall in the Arden inn and no one seems to know were it is ?? any ideas ,
ian

Atarah 28-01-2010 21:34

Re: were is this ?

Its Broadway, well before Marks and Spencers was built.

Atarah 28-01-2010 21:38

were is this ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, this help a bit?

Atarah 28-01-2010 21:46

If you want any more photos of that area, I will post some tomorrow.

Wynonie Harris 28-01-2010 21:59

Great, look forward to that, Atarah. Is that mill in the first photograph on the site of the cinema?

cashman 28-01-2010 22:26

i thought that was the opposite side wyn?:confused: i took the white bit between the two lamps to be the owd culvert cover oer the river stink?

Retlaw 28-01-2010 23:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 783294)
i thought that was the opposite side wyn?:confused: i took the white bit between the two lamps to be the owd culvert cover oer the river stink?

Got me puzzled the layout seems a bit off.
I thought it was Marquis St at first but now I have my doubts, reposted picture with queries.
Retlaw.

cashman 28-01-2010 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 783305)
Got me puzzled the layout seems a bit off.
I thought it was Marquis St at first but now I have my doubts, reposted picture with queries.
Retlaw.

its had me scratching me head.:confused:

cashman 28-01-2010 23:11

what actually stood were M@S n shops before the sunken gardens? plus what stood on owd broadway car park? can remember streets behind odean but thats it.:confused:

Retlaw 28-01-2010 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 783310)
what actually stood were M@S n shops before the sunken gardens? plus what stood on owd broadway car park? can remember streets behind odean but thats it.:confused:

Nothing it was a large patch of rough ground,
there was a barrage ballon site on there during WW2, it was fenced off from Broadway with a 7' high wooden fence, the streets behind where the Odeon was were Cobden St & Mason St.
The river stink was open It didn't get culverted till they did the car park, the entrance was in Union St, next to where the Blackburn bus stand was. This was before they built the Arndale.

Retlaw.

cashman 28-01-2010 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 783313)
Nothing it was a large patch of rough ground,
there was a barrage ballon site on there during WW2, it was fenced off from Broadway with a 7' high wooden fence, the streets behind where the Odeon was were Cobden St & Mason St.
The river stink was open It didn't get culverted till they did the car park, the entrance was in Union St, next to where the Blackburn bus stand was. This was before they built the Arndale.

Retlaw.

cheers walter, still baffeled wi the layout of photo, thought i was gettin somewhere.:confused::)

Bob Dobson 29-01-2010 10:02

Perhaps it is the picture's quality, but I cannot place this location.I am not recognisiong anywhere/ Do the background buildings give a clue as to which direction we are looking? I will have to visit the Arden and examine the picture whilst sampling a pint of John Willie.

ian1 29-01-2010 10:55

you are having the same conversation we have been having for the last month!
picture is a bit bad ,(cause i don't know how to put pics off iphone on to comp ) :enough:so i had to take pic of phone with my old phone !
ian

Wynonie Harris 29-01-2010 11:19

Still reckon it's taken from a similar spot and looking in the same direction as the later photograph with the cinema. If you look in the top lefthand corner, you can see the same building with a steeply sloping roof (the church that used to be on Whalley Road?). Could it be taken after Broadway had just been constructed, but before the Regal/Odeon had been built?

cashman 29-01-2010 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 783404)
Still reckon it's taken from a similar spot and looking in the same direction as the later photograph with the cinema. If you look in the top lefthand corner, you can see the same building with a steeply sloping roof (the church that used to be on Whalley Road?). Could it be taken after Broadway had just been constructed, but before the Regal/Odeon had been built?

yeh may be right, am trying hard to remember the layout of the owd streets,:confused: if the white bit is the river stink though, it must not be the culvert, as wasn't built then, yet it looks raised.:confused: thats throwing me big time.