Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2009, 20:36   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Accrington Train station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I reckon 45378 was a Black 5.

Right, I'll get me anorak.
If memory serves you are correct but only 5 of the black 5's were given names and that wasn't one of them.

Don't forget your hi vis jacket you left it on the platform last time.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2009, 20:38   #47
Senior Member+

I guess you live in congleton cheshire , and go to Crewe quite alot , 4 ??
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 20:50   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If memory serves you are correct but only 5 of the black 5's were given names and that wasn't one of them.

Don't forget your hi vis jacket you left it on the platform last time.
Seem to remember that there were about three Black 5s working out of Accy sheds, but none of 'em were namers amd none of 'em were 45378.

PS - if you see the stationmaster before me, could you tell him that if he finds a duffle bag with a tartan thermos flask, some half-eated corned beef butties and an Ian Allan combined volume, it's mine?
Old 15-03-2009, 21:10   #49
Senior Member+

I think they have a Black 5 parked up at Carnforth at the moment
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 20:38   #50

Good track layout of Accrington Station on Old Maps of Lancashire
Mr Cratchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 21:05   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cratchit View Post
Good track layout of Accrington Station on Old Maps of Lancashire
There is already a track layout of Accy Station on another thread. The first ordnance survey map of Accrington was 1846/7. There is a copy in Accy Library.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:48   #52

https://railcar.co.uk/images/153
Here's an image guaranteed to produce a warm glow of nostalgia for every boy of the Hornby-Dublo generation.
Taken on Friday 6th May 1960 by D H Dyson, it shows two young schoolboys standing in the Accrington steam maintenance shed, awestruck at the sight before them.
In those long gone days before PlayStation, the only interest for many boys was... a real station!
Back then, every trainspotter clutching his Ian Allen book of locomotives lived in hope of spotting a 'namer'.
Alas, in our industrial backwater dominated by grimy 'black-fives', this proved almost as rare as a win on the Littlewoods Pools.
Imagine the surprise & joy for these two boys when, as the saying goes; 'You wait ages for a bus then two arrive together.
For standing before them are two VIP visitors. The mighty 46100 'Royal Scot' & it's stablemate 46112 'Sherwood Forester'. Both being prepared to work a Blackburn to London football special for the FA Cup Final between Blackburn Rovers & Wolverhampton Wanderers the following day.
Lurking in the background like a cuckoo in the nest, rests a class 113 DMU which all too soon would sound the death-knell for the days of steam & trainspotting.
I wonder who these young lads were & how they managed to gain access to an area of such potential danger?
Elf'n'safety would be apoplectic with rage today - heads would definitely roll!
PS. Wolves beat Rovers 3-0 in the final.
Image by kind permission of railcar.co.uk
Exile on Spencer St and taddy like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 18:42   #53
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
I wonder who these young lads were & how they managed to gain access to an area of such potential danger?

Not had you pegged as a "Spotter" yer Wurshipfullness! As to the whys & wherefores I would suggest (as was my case) large amounts of "Oktoberfest Bier".

After visiting the "Oktoberfest" kicking out time came round & I shambled along after the crowds heading home, I knew I had to get on the S-Bahn & head generally eastwards, problem being Alcohol & locational awareness were competeing, I found "An S-Bahn" & tried to buy a ticket from a somewhat bemused Germing Chappy in "coveys".

He noticed the accent & Beer induced inane grin, he then politely pointed me away to the station & out of his rather large Rail maintainence workshop.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..