Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 14:02   #1

Accy disco...new era yc

Anyone got any old photos of Accy Disco on Abbey St or the New Era Youth Club paradise st from the late 60's early 70's preferably inside the buildings.
Fond memories of those places around 68....73 ish. Went on a 2 week camping trip to Austria with about 8 others from the New Era in 69. Went via Belgium, Luxemburg and eventually arrived at Mayerhofen in Austria.

Had a great time...and first time abroad....

Can remember having my hand stamped going into the Disco and not washing so I could get back in the following day, and trying to fill in the bits with a biro when it started to wear off........had blue flourescent lights that made your dandruff glow white and little cubbyholes where you could hide and snog your girlfriend...LOL

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2012, 21:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accy disco...new era yc

Happy Happy Days! The Disco was really the first place I went dancing i.e. before The Cav at Blackburn and before Burnley Mecca and even before Accy Con! Me and my mate Ellen Morley just loved it up there! We were AMAZED at the strobe lights and found that if we got some fluffy white swansdown trim from Moffitts, and sewed it around the neckline of our dresses, we would cause a "bit of a stir" as all anyone could see of us was white teeth and white swansdown! The lads up there used to try and pull the trim off our dress and watch it float down to the floor! We went back to Moffitts most Saturdays, bought approx 1/2 yard each and stitched new swansdown on each week! We also met "The Burnley Crowd" up there. A group of approx 6 lads, from the Rose Grove area, who came over on the train and caught the last train back! At The Disco I started my first romance with one of the Burnley lads! Happy, innocent times!

Last edited by Atarah; 12-03-2012 at 21:41.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:21   #3

Anyone else any memories of the Disco...and the New Era....?

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 16-03-2012 at 21:28.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:28   #4
Super Moderator

Accy disco...Big Mick Ward, ACT bus driver by day, DJ by night spinning all the latest soul sounds from the USA...lads in tailored suits, ticket pocket, 3" pocket flaps, 18" vents, 6-button cuffs...dancing in a big circle...rows of mirrored and chromed scooters parked up on the Lloyds bank car park opposite...yep, the memories come back!
Old 17-03-2012, 10:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Accy disco...Big Mick Ward, ACT bus driver by day, DJ by night spinning all the latest soul sounds from the USA...lads in tailored suits, ticket pocket, 3" pocket flaps, 18" vents, 6-button cuffs...dancing in a big circle...rows of mirrored and chromed scooters parked up on the Lloyds bank car park opposite...yep, the memories come back!
I was one of the chromed scooter boys...White GP lambretta with RALPH on the windscreen and the star and stripes helmet,loads of chrome and mirrors...I remember Tark (Chromed scoot) Tubby Turner and Woody(sadly both passed away I believe) Steve Ward, Baz, Steve Prior, Eric Moon and a few more....

I have a photo......young and reckless
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (394.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 17-03-2012, 11:32   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I was one of the chromed scooter boys...White GP lambretta with RALPH on the windscreen and the star and stripes helmet,loads of chrome and mirrors...I remember Tark (Chromed scoot) Tubby Turner and Woody(sadly both passed away I believe) Steve Ward, Baz, Steve Prior, Eric Moon and a few more....

I have a photo......young and reckless
What a pretty boy!
Old 17-03-2012, 17:26   #7

Quote:
Passed him in Gt Harwood the other day as I was driving through...

Phil
Old 17-03-2012, 17:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
What a pretty boy!
I'll have you know it took me ages to get my hair like that......lol

Trying to think where it was taken now..........here we go again...could have been Leeds Poly, dont think it was in Accy

Phil
Old 17-03-2012, 21:22   #9
Super Moderator

Scooter looks good...not sure about the hairy sitting on it though! Would imagine you also remember Geno.
Old 18-03-2012, 19:44   #10

Quote:
Scooter looks good...not sure about the hairy sitting on it though! Would imagine you also remember Geno.
Cant say I am familiar with the name Geno....did he have a scooter , a nickname maybe, take it he was maybe italian from the name......

Grey matter isn't what it used to be...LOL

Phil
Old 18-03-2012, 20:01   #11
Super Moderator

Quite right, his last name was something Italian, but I can't remember what it is now. Had a scooter, used to knock around with the Soul crowd, big Motown collector. You'd probably know him if you saw him.
Old 18-03-2012, 21:18   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Quite right, his last name was something Italian, but I can't remember what it is now. Had a scooter, used to knock around with the Soul crowd, big Motown collector. You'd probably know him if you saw him.
He was n apprentice n worked wi me fer 6 years, lives up bash these days, was brought up on Maudsley St, just a few doors down from me nans.
Old 19-03-2012, 07:17   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
He was n apprentice n worked wi me fer 6 years, lives up bash these days, was brought up on Maudsley St, just a few doors down from me nans.
Cheers, mate. Is there anybody in Accy and district who you DON'T know?
Old 19-03-2012, 19:12   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Cheers, mate. Is there anybody in Accy and district who you DON'T know?
Probably a few i aint met yet. Will tell yeh tomoz in oaklea.
Old 19-03-2012, 19:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I'm up Bash.....

Phil

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..