Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 22:57   #1
God Member

Accy from the Bypass

From the dual carriageway nr Huncoat dinner time/ish today

Last edited by KIPAX; 01-07-2006 at 23:01.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2006, 23:06   #2
Member.

Re: Accy from the Bypass

Looks a nice place to live..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 23:11   #3
Give, give, give member

Smashing photograph.

Was just about to comment on the monstosity that is Express Gifts/Joseph Arnold's being a blot on the landscape...but realised you can't see it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 00:05   #4
God Member

ohhhh yes you can

Old 02-07-2006, 02:05   #5
God Member

how the hell that got planning permission .look at it, it'l like two monopoly hotels. I can truely and honestly say that I don't know of any building that is as bigger blot on the landscape as the express gifts building.
Arndale is esy to spot.
That farm makes an interesting piccy kipax, Is that part of an estate, looks like the stable block to some grand house with the central turret and castellation. Even got the horse in there. Shame about the power lines, but power lines or cars seem to want to be in every photo I take these days.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:46   #6
God Member

It is a blot on the landscape and you would have thought they should have made more effort to make it more attractive (or even paint it green) but at the end of the day it's a huge employer for the town and we'd be lost without it. Also, they have made efforts to camoflage it if you are on the ground with all the trees around it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It is a blot on the landscape and you would have thought they should have made more effort to make it more attractive (or even paint it green) but at the end of the day it's a huge employer for the town and we'd be lost without it. Also, they have made efforts to camoflage it if you are on the ground with all the trees around it.

Other towns in the country have places of mass employment that aren't such an eye-sore. We had more attractive factories a hundred years ago. Which ever people passed the planning for it should hang their heads in shame.

It's not as if we are short of brown field industrial sites in the area, where they could have had the same work space without it being such a horrible carbuncle.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:04   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Other towns in the country have places of mass employment that aren't such an eye-sore. We had more attractive factories a hundred years ago. Which ever people passed the planning for it should hang their heads in shame.

It's not as if we are short of brown field industrial sites in the area, where they could have had the same work space without it being such a horrible carbuncle.
Not arguing with you because I totally agree - I blame the people who granted planning permission to it all those years ago. They shouldn't have been swayed by the cherchink of employment figures but should have insisted that it was done sympathetically.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:22   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Not arguing with you because I totally agree - I blame the people who granted planning permission to it all those years ago. They shouldn't have been swayed by the cherchink of employment figures but should have insisted that it was done sympathetically.
Worked for an estate agent for a while Gayle, and they sent me to a small development to sell bungalows. They were quite lovely with elevated views.
Little did I know that within 12 months this Warehouse would be built plonk in front of them.

Was accosted by one of the buyers later and accused of 'selling under false pretences', I was just used.:e9: Think about this every day when I pass.

Still, I suppose the buyers didn't do their homework either, sure there must have been planning applications in at the same time.

P.S. Love that word 'cherchink' ... not in dictionary though, this a new political word ?

Last edited by katex; 02-07-2006 at 09:24.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:25   #10
God Member

There crying out for a mural
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
There crying out for a mural
Oh No, no, no ...hate that one on the side of the Church at Church traffic lights, out of place .. would definitely enter that for Blot on the Landscape comp. just getting me hands on a digital.

Can you imagine the controversy of what to put on it
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45   #12
God Member

I would have a desert scene complete with palm trees and a water hole type thing..... but that would probably cause crashes on the pypass as drivers try to fugure it out
Old 02-07-2006, 10:48   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I would have a desert scene complete with palm trees and a water hole type thing..... but that would probably cause crashes on the pypass as drivers try to fugure it out
Thought you would have gone in more for a football action painting.

Aren't there ways of superimposing an image onto your photo to give us an idea ?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:57   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Other towns in the country have places of mass employment that aren't such an eye-sore.
It's all down to money. The building we have is cheap. If the planning people had insisted they built an old syle mill building out of brick and slate the company would have gone elsewhere and like Gayle said, we need the employment in our area.
Old 02-07-2006, 22:51   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's all down to money. The building we have is cheap. If the planning people had insisted they built an old syle mill building out of brick and slate the company would have gone elsewhere and like Gayle said, we need the employment in our area.
I'm not suggesting a monumental Italianate Victorian style building, just one that is in proportion to it's location.

Walkers Steel (or whatever it's called now) is a massive place, but because it is low rise isn't so hideously dominant in that area.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..